“Must visit in Mancos”

Absolute Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Mancos
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Absolute Bakery and Cafe, is located in downtown Mancos, Colorado, just two blocks south of the town's only traffic light. We bake and cook everything from scratch, using organic, local and fresh ingredients. It's all homemade: from the eggs and hashbrowns, to eclectic soups and salads with our own delicious dressings, pastas from different parts of Europe, and our own red and green chile sauces in a wide variety of Southwestern fare. If you're needing a quick pick-me-up, we have a full coffee and espresso bar featuring locally roasted, fair-trade, organic coffees. The ABC offers you a fine-dining experience without the glitter. Enter the one hundred year-old Bauer Bank Building and immediately you are tantalized by the aromas of fresh breads and pastries coming hot from the oven. Our friendly waitstaff greet you with smiles. The vintage decorative tin ceiling, a variety of tables and chairs, the local artwork adorning the walls, as well as a great selection of used books for your browsing pleasure add to the unique, eclectic and cozy atmosphere that is so inviting to both locals and visitors.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great place for breakfast or lunch and they're gluten-free friendly, too. The cafe is in the midst of several fun shops in Mancos. This is a great place to eat and fun town to visit on your way to Mesa Verde or if you want to venture out of Durango.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

What a find. This little bakery off the main drag is worth locating. Hours are limited and they close at two so get there early.
Context: we arrived at 1:47 on a Friday afternoon with a party of four.
Atmosphere: the bakery is just before a creek through the town and along a tree lined street. There is some outside, shaded seating and eight or so wood tables inside. The place inside is ancient,with wood floors and high ceilings. There is a small selection of high quality used books for sale including sections on the west, gardening and a small fiction section.
Service: we were greeted by a friendly waitress who explained that if we were eating in, we should take a seat and she would wait on us.  We were pleasantly surprised because of the late time we thought they would want us to get the food to go.  Throughout our visit, all the staff was friendly and accommodating and we never felt rushed. In fact, at the end I ordered some tea to go and they just charged me a dollar because I had my own mug.
Food the menu has a selection of sandwiches served on homemade breads, pasta, wraps and special meals. We had sandwiches, including the most enormous BLT ever, it included ham and turkey and was easily enough for two, served with a citrus coleslaw, with tiny pieces of real orange, and served on toasted bread.  A roast beef and cheese sandwich on sourdough was good, and so was a roast beef with green chili on toasted bread. All the sandwiches were good and would ensure our return, but the dessert bars and cookies were exceptional with moist oatmeal crusts and creamy fillings. They have quite a variety from a lemon blueberry with a rich cheesecake filling, to date, to their most popular, key lime raspberry. They also had the best burnt butter cookie. My only regret was I only ordered one. It was very crunchy, toasty flavored and like toffee almost. The only disappointment was the biscotti which had the texture of a dry cupcake. They had 12 kinds of organic teas.
I only wish I had this bakery closer to home.

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

What a find! Rock 'n roll from the 60's & 70's, choice baked goods, and delicious coffee. Half block off the US-160 business route. Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Started our mornings here before heading to Mesa Verde. Really enjoyed all the items I tried here, especially the oatmeal. Not very speedy, so relax, you are on vacation!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've enjoyed the ABC at least a dozen times. The breakfast, brunch, lunch, baked goods and 'To Go Wrap' all stand out as Superior grub. I have tried just about everything they offer and can't say enough about the originality and quality of the menu they offer.
I came back to Denver today and stopped at ABC to pick up some of their Macaroons for my Father in Law, one of his favorite treats. He just hasn't had the ones fromn Absolute. They have yet to make it to his place in 2 prior deliveries.
Service is excellent, you'd think each and every employee had an ownership stake. The art of teamwork has been mastered here.