“This is a warning!”

Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins
Potsdam, New York
“This is a warning!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This roadside hotel is not idea for those who are in the area for business. Although the view and location are spectacular, there are too many corners cut for the price. I stayed in the lodge and the first night, after having been awake for 24 hours on delayed flights, I arrived to find my key in a box with my room number and name on it as apparently the office closes after 5 pm. Wondering if someone had used my key to let themselves into my room first was less than comforting as a woman traveling alone. Then, ready to go to bed, I realize there is no alarm clock nor is there cell service. Worried I would oversleep and miss part of my morning meeting, I drove to a 24-hour Walgreens 14 miles away to buy my own clock. Then, in the middle of the night, I turned on the AC unit and smelled fumes. Turned out, it was an unlit pilot light in the stove and there was no super or matches to be found. I was lucky I woke to my new alarm clock at all! Night two, pilot light fixed but I awoke to two mice rummaging through my bags. Although the management claims the hotel appeals to people who like camping, I fit that bill, but don't really like rodents sleeping with me in my tent! The place wasn't real clean (the drinking glasses were filthy), there is only one lock on the door (one of those cheap twisting ones) with no secondary lock and the wireless network the hotel website touted worked only in the front of the room where there were no outlets so I had to do work on my bed instead of a desk if I didn't want to lose battery power. All and all, this may be great for folks here to hike or bike, but patrons here on business should know what they are getting themselves into.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank cjwoods

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was disappointing overall. First a couple of positives. The room was clean (the pool less so...). Staff were friendly enough, when around. The location is pretty, even if the road is noisy. Lyons is quite a nice little town.

But overall, there is a strong sense of management cutting corners. The air conditioning was OK in downstairs, but had no impact on the bedroom up under the roof. This was like an oven. And the kitchen equipment was unacceptable. Two forks and three glasses for a room described as for four.... Just one pan, a 16 inch tall stockpot, the only way to heat water for tea and coffee.... I could go on.

In a road trip over the past month where we stayed in over a dozen places, this was the only one where we felt it was no way worth the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank WillGS
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We actually are 'professional' travelors - we live in a 5th wheel and travel the country - so our review comes from alot of experience! We stayed a couple of months (5th wheel was getting worked on and weather was cold!). They were REALLY great to us - and our dogs! Location is great - feel of the mountains without the difficult mountain drive and still close to town. Cabins feel like home and are completely stocked (we actually brought TOO much!). And I can't say enough about the staff - I won't say our whole story but they were more than awesome! Kind, considerate, understanding, accomendating - really, we were HIGHLY IMPRESSED! And since we do travel alot we have alot to compare it to! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: the cabins are great!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ahlmancleaning
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was looking for somewhere to stay outside of Boulder that was secluded, but not too far from grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. I wanted somewhere inexpensive, but not run down, and I also needed somewhere pet friendly. I found all of those qualities at Stone Mountain Lodge. I stayed for three weeks and was completely comfortable and happy for my entire stay. Boulder, Lyons, and Estes Park are all really close so there’s always something to keep you busy if you’re there on vacation. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Also, if you’re traveling with a dog, there is a hiking trail right behind the lodge.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank LaineOdette
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We loved our stay at the Stone Mountain Lodge. From soaking in the jet tub to the peaceful nature that was all around. It was great! The cabin was cozy and warm, and we got some much needed rest and relaxation. Joseph the manager was also kind and very personable. He also took the time to check in with us and show us around the property. I give it 5 stars!! Thank you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tetris10
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Made my daughter's wedding a very enjoyable and memorable event. So convenient having sleeping rooms and ceremony and reception on same site. Staff was very accommodating. Spectacular backdrop. Cabins were rustic but added to the charm of the venue.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Keswick50
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed October 19, 2010

If you're looking for a beautiful place for a refreshing getaway, yet not wanting to drive a long distance from the Front Range cities of Colorado, Stone Mountain Lodge is a wonderful choice. While only being 2 miles from the village of Lyons Colorado and less than a half hour from Boulder and Longmont, the Stone Mountain Lodge feels like it's a world away from the hustle and bustle of the larger cities. We spent four nights in one of the cabins, which was roomy and comfy, and equipped with most of the conveniences of home, including a full kitchen, wireless internet, and cable TV. The balance between rustic and civilized was perfect for us. The setting was wonderful, tucked into the base of a large red rock-rimmed mountain with a short hiking trail up the mountainside right on the property. The pond with its gregarious flock of of domestic ducks was a perfect spot to relax, read, or commune with nature. The grounds were beautiful in their fall foliage. A small herd of deer occasionally would wander through the property. The staff was friendly and helpful. All in all, a wonderful place for a getaway.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2quackers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyons
Best Western Plus Plaza Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Longmont
Boulder Twin Lakes Inn
Boulder Twin Lakes Inn
#14 of 22 in Boulder
SpringHill Suites Boulder Longmont
Peaceful Valley Resort and Conference Center
Super 8 Longmont/Twin Peaks

Been to Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!