“Boring! Not what it could be”
Review of Villa Tatra

Villa Tatra
Ranked #13 of 26 Restaurants in Lyons
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This restaurant could be something great. The ambiance was nice. The menu leads you to believe it's authentic cuisine. Problem: Sorry, we don't have any Cabernet; Sorry we don't have spinach for one of the menu items; Sorry, now whipped cream for the 'seemed like' out of a box Strudel. The cabbage rolls: hamburger wrapped in cabbage with tomato sauce over the top! Come on, let's get some seasonings in there! It was St. Patrick's Day and the place was not crowded at 8pm so why were they out of everything? Crossed this one off our list for future visits. When hostess was seating us, her young child came crying up to her and hollered until she got picked up. This takes, 'Family Restaurant' to a new level!

2  Thank skatingtoolman

Reviewed December 15, 2011

My family tries to visit Villa Tatra several times a year. We went for a Mother's Day lunch. As usual, the food was first rate and don't miss checking out the desserts before ordering or you'll miss something special. On Mother's Day there was a special menu which included one item that wasn't ordinarily on the menu and two others that are. I can't ever get past the pierogis which are to die for. My son ordered the bratwurst with sauerkraut and my husband, who agrees with me about the pierogis joined me. As usual, wonderful food. In reading the reviews, I noted that another poster had given them a bad review, and I'm guessing it was because they refused to let her wedding party use their bathrooms. Number one, the building is their home as well as their business. I'm thinking I'd have had a problem if I found someone in a bridesmaids dress using my backyard as a public toilet as well. So consider that this particular "bride" was trying to justify her group's bad manners and gave Villa Tatra a bad review just to get even. At least that's my read. Don't miss this restaurant.

1  Thank sheilagboulderCO
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We have passed by Villa Tatra numerous times and never stopped to eat there, but out of options in Estes Park we ventured to Villa Tatra. I must say it was a wonderful meal, everything was made to order from the pierogi to the stuffed cabbage and the dill pickle soup. It was worth the drive down the mountain to eat there and we will make a return visit there on our next visit to Estes Park.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stopped on the way back from Estes. The outside is cute and quaint but the inside is filled with dusty knick-knacks. The food is bland and overpriced (I had the stuffed cabbage my husband had the schnitzle). The service was horrible even though there were only two other tables of guests there. We couldn't get out of there fast enough!

1  Thank TravelhoundinDenver
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My wife and I have driven past Villa Tatra on the way to Rocky Mountain National Park many times. Recently we had the opportunity to try a weekend lunch, as Estes Park was so crowded parking was ridiculously hard to find. We remembered Villa Tatra on the way home to Boulder and we were glad we couldn't find parking in EP. It was an unexpected and unplanned adventure that turned out very well.

This is an old style restaurant, probably hasn't had a change of decor in decades. A little kitschy, but in an honest way..We came for the food, as anyplace that features smoked meats and fish, gets my attention.

Best seating is the small outdoor patio in the back of the restaurant. (Not the front outdoor seating which gets a lot of road nose. The rear seating area is quiet and surrounded by trees and bushes in a natural setting. The interior seating is a different story. They divided the interior into two sections (at lunch); a bistro section that is more casual, well-lighted and a limited menu. The main room is dark and has a larger lunch menu.

The big draw is the quality of the food. Very Eastern European, with an emphasis on Polish. Having grown up in a town in NJ that was very Polish (including having to learn it in grade school) I was very familiar with the dishes. The test was how good were they.

This food is neither bland nor does everything taste the same. They feature smoked items and are expertly done. Whole Foods in Boulder sells the Villa Tatra smoked salmon. It is gorgeous. They also offer 4 different styles of of borsch(t), depending on lunch or dinner. While not surprised there are different styles of borsch(t), I had never experienced. A friend with us tried the clear borsch(t) and she found it light and delicious...It also included a thick meat pierogi as a dumpling. I've had a whole lot of pierogis and this had more filling than any I have seen.

For me the star was the kielbasa. I am a tough critic of kielbasa as too often it is a bland, fatty sausage. This kielbasa is one of the top 2 I have ever tried. The grind is excellent, no big chunks of fat, no bone chips. It is home made and smoked in-house. My wife dislikes big sausages like kielbasa and she loved it. As an extra, there was home made sauerkraut unlike any I had had. You knew you were eating cabbage, not some stringy, overcooked grey matter. I would have preferred red cabbage, but this sauerkraut made up for it. I also wish they had a better mustard than a simple Heinz Golden mustard. A hearty whole grain or garlic mustard would pair better. The owner made it clear that it was a cost issue. When I return i will bring my own mustard.

We found pricing moderate (for lunch) and serving sizes acceptable. e.g. the kielbasa was a 7 - 8oz portion.

Service was very slow. They did have a large group of about 12-14 persons that arrived shortly before us. But that is clearly not the full cause. The owner is a very friendly older Polish woman who gets distracted easily. We actually had three different people attending our table without any clear sense of who was responsible for what. We waited a long time to get our check. So, I do have to suggest that if you want a quick lunch, don't expect it here. Overall, we found the food to outweigh the time.

As an added bonus you can buy a number of their smoked products (salmon, trout, elk) at the restaurant. Too bad they only serve lunch on weekends.

This a beer oriented restaurant, which works well with their food. The wine list is very limited, somewhere between 6 -8 wines. We were told they have a full bar as of 2011.

Been to Villa Tatra? Share your experiences!