“They're trying harder.”

Schmidt's Bakery & Deli
Berthoud, Colorado
“They're trying harder.”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

It's been awhile since my previous review, so a brief update. The shelves are no longer bare, and the service is mostly friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, they now receive huge shipments of Usinger's deli items, and freeze them. While this works for some sausages and cold cuts, it's not a good idea for others. I got some Usinger's bologna and while the taste was decent, it was water-logged. Clearly the result of having been defrosted. The blood/tongue sausage seems to tolerate the freezing/defrosting better.

I guess the big question is, why not order smaller quantities which can be sold fresh, not after having been frozen?

The challah bread was decent.

• Visited December 2012

colorado
“unbeatable”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

these guys made a cake for my mom's 90th b day decorated w a gal at a sewing machine - mom's hobby - which stole the show at her party. i have attended numerous functions in the area over the years and Schmidts is far and away the best bakery wihin 100 miles.

Visited October 2012
Gold Canyon, Arizona
“Not a fan”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have lived in Loveland for 5 years and I have tried both the bakery and the restaurant. On a positive not I enjoy the German sausages and the German potatoes. The service was ok and I did not feel the prices were out of line. I don't really care for the bakery. Any baked goods I have bought here were not anything special. That includes bread, cookies and a specialty cake. However, my daughter loved an anniversary cake she bought there for a friend. The staff is friendly, the building quaint. One Sunday there was a musician there for brunch. I just don't feel like it's a place I MUST go to for a nice meal!

Colorado
“Excellent Deli Sandwiches”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Sit down German restaurant serving specialized sandwiches you won't find anywhere else and the deserts are to die for. There is also a market attached with a meat counter and sweet rolls, cakes and doughnuts that make your mouth water.

Bob Garramone

Visited October 2012
Loveland, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Original owners”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were on way to airport and decided to try as we heard they were really good. We weren't disappointed, it was great. I think now its owned by someone else and we haven't been there.