“rating is for food - there's a caveat”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mo' Betta Gumbo

Mo' Betta Gumbo
Ranked #5 of 240 Restaurants in Loveland
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
colorado
“rating is for food - there's a caveat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

i had the hush puppies smothered in gumbo to start. big portion and very tasty. a starter which is plenty enough to split. then the red beans and rice with andouille sausage - again big portion and quite tasty. once my order went in, the food came fast and hot. heres the caveat - the help needs help. although pleasant, they are not organized. i waited 15 minutes when there were tables available but not cleared. when i see wait staff deliver food then walk back to the kitchen empty handed when there are tables to clear the bells go off. a group of three and a single walked out after waiting too long. the place only holds 35 or so and there were always empty tables not cleared. they have been open 10 months and should not be having these issues. for me, what was to be a quick lunch became a long lunch - fortunately i had the time - the walkouts obviously didn't. iam looking forward to going back - the food is certainly worth it. i hope they get the the service together - i'd hate to see a good food option fail because of such an easily fixed problem.

• Visited November 2013

Loganville, Georgia
“Good Food But Up to New Orleans Standards!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

From the good reviews we were expecting a New Orleans dining experience in Loveland. Not quite. The hush puppies were good but had a southwestern flavor, with a little spice heat. While not up to my southern Grandma's standards we ate them all! We shared a bowl of seafood gumbo, while it was tasty the only seafood I saw were a few shrimp; a good Louisiana gumbo would have crabs, crab claws, shrimp, chicken and a darker, spicier roux. All that said we ate it all! We shared an order of beignets, which took over 20 minutes after we ordered, while they were very good our French press coffee was cold by the time we got them. The service was friendly but slow. The Praline Connection, on Frenchman Street in New Orleans, could teach them a lot about gumbo and bread pudding!!

• Visited November 2013
Windsor, Colorado
“Unexpected delight!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We went in with friends on a Sunday and at first I was a little bit disappointed because they have a limited menu - Cajun boil and gumbo are pretty much the only menu items on Sundays. Growing up in my part of the South in the 60's, "spice" meant salt and black pepper and condiments were ketchup and mustard. I know catfish, greens and hush puppies, but isn't cajun spicy? And doesn't gumbo mean a stew held together with slimy okra??? So had it just been me and the hubby, I'd have probably left and come back another time. But our friends are a little more adventurous so we stayed. Notice I said a "little more adventurous", so none of us wanted the boil (something about just tossing your dinner onto a table covered with paper just doesn't seem right)... that left the gumbo and we all had that... omg I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Yes it was spicy, but not in a way that had you crying and gulping water. This was a warm blend of spices with meat and shrimp and vegetables and one bit of slimy okra in sight (I checked out recipes for gumbo later and found that using okra to bind everything together is only one way to prepare gumbo). We talked about our meal for the rest of the evening and I was still thinking of it fondly the next day - and I don't often say that about a Northern Colorado restaurant meal. So not only am I looking forward to my next visit, it may just have to be on Sunday so I can try the crawfish boil!!! I may also have to try the moonshine cocktails. And I want to go back on a day with the regular menu to try other things - especially the day they make beignets.

The decor is a bit funky - i swear my Momma and Daddy had a table and chairs like these when I was growing up and there is a Christmas tree in the front window with Mardi Gras beads as decorations. What's up with that? Our waiter was a bit harried too as he appeared to be the only staff in the place when we walked in, but he was nice. No one else seemed by be bothered by the service, so I just need to dial back my "Type A" personality for the next visit. After all, it WAS the weekend and wasn't I supposed to be relaxing? So don't be a snob about the decor, and step right in and plop yourself down.

• Visited October 2013
Bennett, Colorado
“Refreshing non- chain good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We were passing through Loveland and stopped in for lunch. The food was good. It seemed authentic from what little I know of southern cooking. We had the hush puppies, po-boys and greens.

I only wish we could have tried everything. We left very full and satisfied.

Bennett, CO
“Awesome food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

The hush pups are to die for! And the collard greens and bacon are so good I could eat just those. My wife and I had Po' Boys. She had catfish and I had oyster. They we cooked perfectly and were good quality. If I had any complaint at all it would be that the breading could use a little more seasoning

• Visited October 2013