“Excellent location but breakfast was lousy”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Denver Boulder - Louisville
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Louisville
A La Quinta traveler
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed two nights at the La Quinta Inn while in town for my teen son's orientation at CU-Boulder. He was with me the first night. I was by myself the second night. I chose this hotel because it saved me $100 over the new Hampton Inn in Boulder. So, while I cannot knock a $100 savings over two nights, I don't know that I'd stay here again.

The hotel lobby was clean and the check-in smooth. I asked for a room on the 3rd floor to avoid noise from above. The third floor hallway was HOT and stuffy. Seemed to be no air conditioning. Also, the hallway needed to be vacuumed when we checked in around 3 p.m. It was vacuumed later, but the first impression wasn't so great. No refrigerator in the room, so I had to use an ice bucket to preserve some yogurt I had bought.

Our room was clean, but very pedestrian. My biggest problem was the air conditioning. It seemed to have a sensor on it to turn off when no motion was detected (i.e. sleeping people). We left it on "automatic" set to 65 deg F when we went to bed. Normally, a 65 deg F setting on an a/c would chill a polar bear, but the room seemed warm. During the night it was even hotter. I turned down the air to the lowest setting (63 deg F), but it still was warm. The next night I put the fan setting on low (instead of auto) and set the temp to 63 deg F. It was still warm during the night and of course the a/c fan blew all night.

Overall, there are few amenities at this hotel. The toilet paper was almost European (I last traveled in Europe in the late 80s when one could write letters home on the TP). There was only shampoo, no conditioner in the bathroom. The towels were decent and the shower hot. I guess for the price savings I could have run to Target to buy some conditioner, but I'm used to a little more even in lower priced hotels like Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, or even Holiday Inn.

We skipped breakfast at La Quinta the first morning since we had to be at the CU-Boulder campus around 7 a.m. We didn't miss much. I went down for breakfast the second morning and left without eating anything. It all looked unappetizing: bagels in shrink wrap, a few muffins (I think those were in shrink wrap too), instant oatmeal, make your own waffle, red delicious apples and bananas. I've seen much nicer spreads at other low-end hotels.

The clerk who checked me out didn't ask about my stay or even say good morning. I was waiting at the empty counter for a bit, said "hello?" and "good morning?" and finally she showed up. Oh, and I also had trouble with my room key and getting the door to work. Had to make a trip down to the lobby to get that fixed. Also, no ice machine on 3rd floor...had to go to 2nd floor. Minor inconveniences, but these contributed to my overall "blah" impression of this hotel.

Yes, at $99 a night, you don't get a Hotel Sofitel, but I'll try some other Louisville hotels next trip. I may even spring for that new Hampton Inn in Boulder. Louisville is a very convenient location to CU-Boulder.

Room Tip: Maybe stay away from top floor....could be hotter.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's just about a 10 or 15 minute drive from Boulder, just about 2 blocks from highway 36. The hotel is very clean, the room nicely decorated and the staff fantastic. I am staying here while I'm waiting for workers to finish renovating a house I'm going to be renting. Since I'm here for more than just a few days, one of the staff - Lina - brought me a combo microwave/fridge so I won't have to eat out every meal. It was greatly appreciated. There's a free breakfast which is okay - waffles, toast, bagels, muffins, juice, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee and fruit. The free wireless works very well everywhere in the hotel. There's a computer with a printer in the lobby which I've used a few times when I've needed to print something out. The place has a nice size swimming pool and hot tub. And, very important to me, this place is very dog friendly. Dogs are allowed anywhere in the hotel except for the breakfast room - on a leash of course. There's plenty of grass outside and lots of places nearby to walk my dog. In fact, there's a very large dog park not more than a five minute drive from the hotel. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling thru the Boulder area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
A La Quinta traveler
Scottsbluff, Nebraska, USA
Reviewed June 17, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel, which is about 10 minutes from downtown Boulder, on a recent business trip. Actually, my company's travel agency recommended it. It was convenient to where I was going and had a free breakfast, so I made the reservations without any particular expectations. But what I found was a very modern hotel with good accommodations, hypo-allergenic bedding, good internet, a clean bathroom and bedding, and good air-conditioning. The room was small, but it had everything I needed for a 2-night business trip, and it was quiet. The hotel is very convenient to Highway 36 and has a large Albertson supermarket, as well as several fast-food restaurants within a 5 minute drive.The breakfast was nothing to brag about - hard boiled eggs, waffles, muffins, coffee, fruit juices, etc. - but not bad, and it came free with the room. The dining area was a bit crowded, but not intolerable. The rooms only cost about $80 per night, so it seemed like a real bargain. I recommend this as a good place to stay for a short-term (1 week or less) visit to the Boulder area (vacation, business trip, just passing through, etc.).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank O-town-Bob
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Conveniently located to Denver, Rocky Mountain and Estes Park. Clean and friendly staff with super pool and hot tub. This Hotel is definitely recommended. Good base camp for all the nearby attractions and sites. Even had cell phone reception!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Louisville
Best Western Plus Louisville Inn & Suites
Quality Inn Louisville - Boulder
Courtyard Boulder Louisville
Hampton Inn Boulder / Louisville
Residence Inn Boulder Louisville
Hyatt House Boulder/Broomfield

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Denver Boulder - Louisville? Share your experiences!