“Long-time favorite”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Blue Parrot is an excellent pasta place, with homemade thick noodles and great tomato sauce. We generally use their take-out service as it is fast and convenient. I've been eating at the Blue Parrot since the 1960s, a great family establishment with great service.

Paul W, Manager at Blue Parrot Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for the nice review on tripadvisor.com.

There are newer reviews for Blue Parrot Restaurant

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have met people who claim the Blue Parrot is the best Italian restaurant in the US and it is possible that it serves fully authentic Italian peasant food. We found a very limited menu with dry pasta and nothing that we found to our taste. I have lived with an Italian family and eaten at great Italian restaurants in Italy and world-wide. Perhaps I like the sort of food the Italian aristocracy eat. By all means, try the Blue Parrot but set your expectations accordingly. Sorry to be negative since the Blue Parrot is such a respected local institution.

Paul W, Manager at Blue Parrot Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hello. I see your review says you were in last year and just posted the review this year. We are not "traditional" Italian food. We are hardy, "coal miner" Italian food. While it might not have fit your tastes, we are proud of the traditions and tastes here. That said, we have not been perfect over the last several years. We have rededicated ourselves to bring consistently good food and service. We are making improvements inside and outside the restaurant. We will have an updated menu, keeping the traditional items, and also adding to them, within the next few weeks. I'd encourage you to try us again.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I've been looking at the reviews, and I just don't get why there are so many bad ones. The only thing I can figure is that it's a generational thing. True, the Blue Parrot is not an authentic, regional Italian restaurant, and it's not modern. Instead, it's an authentic, old school Italian-American restaurant. The kind that served the working-class Italian immigrant families in the area; simple, comfort food. And for me, it's food with cult status.

I do agree that the salads are quaint, and that the place needs an atmosphere upgrade. But the spaghetti is, in a word, awesome. I just love the big thick noodles, the smooth red sauce, and the immense meatballs. I have never had better. For more than 40 years I've been getting them, and they're always fabulous. A taste I just have to have when I'm back in town. Occasionally I have the ravioli, but I agree it's not the good buy that the spaghetti is.

So what I'd like to see is a little more sophistication in the salad department, which I think is in the works. A little more attention to the décor would be good too; maybe a lower light level and a little more attention to couples. Obviously, there's much more competition, so they should try to do more to meet it head on. I think it's the spaghetti that brings the faithful in, so by all means amp up the marketing on that. But don't change it; it's still the best pasta fix around.

2  Thank DBM58
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Blue Parrot in Louisville, CO is one of our favorite Italian restaurants. We love the homemade pasta and the sauce. We live in Arizona and have the Blue Parrot pasta sauce shipped to our house for our use when we are not enjoying our own family (Sicilian) spaghetti sauce recipe.

1  Thank Carl R
Paul W, Manager at Blue Parrot Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thanks for making us one of your stops when you're in the area!

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Got pasta alfredo with chicken and the dish was ok. Not a lot of flavor, somewhat bland. I've had great Italian in little italy and this isn't even close. I'd say skip it.