“Great red sauce”

Dining options: Reservations
Downey, California
“Great red sauce”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This italian food restaurant was ok but their homemade pasta was too thick and masked their wonderful red sauce. They had a varied menu but prices and portions were not well matched. I had their lasagna from the Senior menu and it was just ok.

Visited June 2013

Los Angeles
“Old Reliable”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I've been dining at the Blue Parrot since the late 1970s. I've seen it go from a one-room corner cafe, where you knocked on the back door for takeout, to the expanded place it is today. And from what I hear, new things are in store for this stalwart Italian restaurant.

One thing has remained consistent all these years: the quality of the food. Nowhere in the Denver area can on find such exquisite spaghetti noodles, thick as a pencil with just the right amount of tooth. Their spaghetti sauce is beyond compare, spicy and thick, with just the right amount of red pepper. To top it all off, their meatballs are the best I've ever tasted anywhere, including Italy. They're huge and extremely tender. You can cut them with the fork. And the flavor is beyond comparison, spiced perfectly, not grainy or chewy, just the right consistency.

Long live the Blue Parrot!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Mongoeat
Northglenn, Colorado
“Sad to see what has became of this place”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

WORST SERVICE EVER. Server had an attitude from the moment she walked up to our table. I worked in the industry for over 15 years and have never been treated like I was at The Blue Parrot. If it had not been a special occasion I would have walked out. I love the history of old town, but this a piece that needs to disappear. I will never recommend this restaurant again, and will discourage any one wanting to go there (that's how bad we were treated).

• Visited May 2013
Miami, FL
“Very Disappointing Italian Lunch”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We really wanted to like this place--a well-established Italian restaurant that's been around for many years that was recommended by our lunch guests. The service was helpful, friendly and quick and the bread was good (the only reasons I didn't rank it Terrible), and they had a $5.99 meat lasagna lunch special--such a deal--right? In a very unusual experience, for my family, everyone unanimously agreed that it was probably the worst Italian food we've ever had. The pasta and chicken dishes were almost inedible and the tomato sauce tasteless. My lasagna was hard on the bottom, soft on the top, and totally without flavor, even with the generous extra tomato sauce poured over it. The salad was almost all lettuce that looked like it came out of a supermarket bag, and the tomato vinaigrette dressing that drowned it wasn't a big help. Well, at least it was cheap, but we got what we paid for.

• Visited May 2013
“It's time to close”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We had heard locals waxing poetic about the Blue Parrot and were eager to try it ourselves. It was awful! Clearly, a restaurant whose day has passed and is limping along. We ordered spaghetti which came with most if the cooking water still on the plates. Our daughter's grilled cheese sandwich was burned black. The side of potato chips was really a small bag of Lays they didn't even bother to open. The side salad was a bowl of wilted, partly brown lettuce. The decor is run down, tired, and in need of repair. Everything with our meal was so beyond help we just paid the bill and left the food mostly untouched in order to eat next door instead.

I'm sorry every time I drive by and see their doors still open. At the risk of offending hometown fans I must say avoid this place at all costs. You're better off going hungry.

3 Thank 47IU24L