“Not a Pleasant Experience”
Review of Zucca

Zucca
Ranked #16 of 104 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: ITALIAN FOOD THE WAY IT SHOULD BE... Locally owned and operated, Zucca Italian Ristorante celebrates the broad range of Italian cuisine. Explore the rich flavors of Italy's sun drenched south, to the mountains in the north. Experience Italian food the way it should be, with fresh ingredients, careful preparation, and delightful presentation as you relax in our cozy, comfortable atmosphere. Enjoy a selection from our 100% Italian wine list, which features wines from all the regions of Italy.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Despite making reservations for 6, we were seated at a table for 4 to which two chairs had been added. Our request to be moved was denied because of "other reservations". During the more than two hours we were there, the room remained half empty. It was as if they just wanted us to be uncomfortable. A special of braised pork belly was recommended. I love pork belly. I've eaten it at a dozen restaurants and prepared it myself. This was the worst! A gooey mess prepared by someone who had no clue how to make it. Already having experienced the reaction to customer requests, I didn't bother to send it back. It was taken away uneaten with no comment from the server. This restaurant is poorly managed. Go at your own risk.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The main street where Zucca is located on was buzzing with people at 6pm on Wednesday. We had to go around the block to find street parking. They took us (four people) in without a reservation right away. The waiter, who said he is also the bartender, explained us their specials of the day. I was hoping that one of them would be a squid ink pasta or pasta with squid ink sauce but it wasn’t. I asked for the server’s help for deciding my dinner. He was very knowledgeable and I went with linguine al’pescatore. Our dinner took long time to arrive. In fact, we had to grab another server (our server was busy bartending at the bar) and asked her to check on our dinner order status. Our waiter eventually came back with our dinners; he explained the delay saying the kitchen was busy. I liked my linguine but secretly thought it wasn’t served immediately after it was prepared; whether it was left waiting for my dining partners’ dishes to be ready or all of our dishes were left waiting for the server to pick them up. Our dessert orders also arrived late and served with the same apology. I was guessing the delay was partially due to our server being also the bartender; at least he wasn’t attentive as he could have been. All of my dining partners said they were pleased with their dinner and dessert and I was too. But since this was our first get together dinner, the lengthy wait created some awkward moments and reduced the dining enjoyment.
Nice décor and nice meal but don’t make a special trip like we did.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Went to the restaurant the day before Father's Day. We couldn't get a reservation ahead of time, but our crowd got a table in a short time, but then the restaurant filled up. Our group all had different entrees, like spinach salad with trout, fettucine with asparagus, linguine with sausage, and lamb chops. Everyone raved about the food. An appetizer of rice balls with cheese and sausage inside was exceptional. (Since I have made suppli (rice balls) myself, I can definitely give them a thumbs up!)
Dessert was delicious sorbets and cheesecake. A perfect ending to a great dinner.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We had a variety of food and appetizers. It was good, not great, and tended to be drenched with butter and sauce. We sat outside which I would not recommend unless you enjoy traffic, bus exhaust and loud trains blaring their horns. Empire is much better and it would be nice if they had some healthier choices. Service was attentive, the best aspect of the meal.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I too enjoy Zucca. Of multiple visits (both business and family) the food has always been very fresh, tasty, and original. The wine can be on the high side, especially for the nicer bottles, but a good bottle of Italian is a must to go along with the authentic Italian food. Our family usually finds ourselves stealing bites from other plates as everything looks so good. Not quite 5 star dining, but a good solid 4+ star restaurant that provides a nice Italian alternative to the other Main Street dining options.