“Wonderful Time”
Review of Antonios The Taste of Mexico - CLOSED

Antonios The Taste of Mexico
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Antonio's Cuisine Is Freshly Prepared,authentic, Regional, Gourmet Mexican And New Mexican That Is Known To Be Consistently Of The Highest Quality Ingredients With Native Flavors, Variety Of Fresh Vegetables, Gluten Free Dishes, And Style Of Presentation Makes Antonio's Unique And Well Distinctive Of Other Mexican Restaurants.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a lovely family dinner on a Thursday night. Meal started with chips and salsa roja and we added a Nacho appetizer that was quickly consumed. Timely delivery of the entries followed shortly and I had the enfrijoladas which had fresh ingredients and distinctive flavoring. As mentioned in other reviews, not your usual ho-hum same ole Mexican. Each of us ordered something different and to a person it was delicious. The service was prompt, friendly and attended to all our needs. Beer selections were good, and flan for desert topped off a fine evening. I highly recommend it and would return often. Only complaint would be the noise level which at times hindered our lively conversation.

Benina R, Manager at Antonios The Taste of Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear," Wonderful Time"
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Antonio's.We strive for excellence and appreciate your business.As any new restaurant there will be trial and error. We are excited to hear that our staff is working towards one common goal and that is to have our customers leave with a full stomach and a lasting memory and experience.Please come back and join us for another delicious meal.
Respectfully,
Benina Roybal
Antonio's of Taos Manager

There are newer reviews for Antonios The Taste of Mexico

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This restaurant claims to serve authentic Mexican and New Mex food. It does not. We have been to Mexico, New Mexico and high-end Mexican restaurants in the U.S., and there is no comparison. The meals we had at Antonios was greasy and unattractive and (to add insult to injury) the service was slow and poor, and the prices were high. Never again.

3  Thank Magellan2
Sarah M, Owner at Antonios The Taste of Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

HI THERE,
I was very disappointed to read about your review and all i can say is that we are very sorry for your experience and we would hope that you would give us another chance.I think our staff really tries to satisfy every customers needs and wants and maybe it was a night that was very overwhelming but still there is no excuse for this kind of service and i will definitely let them know about this review and have a meeting about what may be some of our weaknesses and where we really need some more improvements.Thank you for your feed back and we really do hope that you can give us another chance...

SARAH
OWNER

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Colorado has its share of great street-food tacos from hole-in-the-wall taquerias. There are also plenty of sit-down, not-really-Mexican restaurants where you can get ground beef tacos, chicken enchiladas smothered in gooey cheese and so on. That's been done to death. What I haven't found here in Longmont is distinctive Mexican and southwestern food. This place has it!

I arrived early (5:30) and was seated right away. The service was prompt and cheerful. I had water, chips, and salsa roja within a few minutes. The salsa roja had a wonderful charred-tomato flavor with a nice backbite - addictive! My server told me the specials and was well-versed in ingredients and her own preferences. Great to have such competent service!

I was eating alone or I would have tried the tableside guacamole. I watched as another table of diners got it, and it looked completely fabulous. I would have liked a chance at a half order.

I was torn between the enchiladas de huitlacoches or the enfrijoladas. Huitlacoches is a fungus, like a mushroom, that grows on corn and is quite the delicacy - it's still pretty unusual here in the states, so I was looking forward to it. Sadly they didn't have any this week. So I "settled" for the enfrijoladas - roughly, cheese enchiladas with a black bean sauce. It was accompanied by Spanish rice, avocado, onion, and pico de gallo. The flavors and textures worked together very well. The frijoles negros were saucy enough but hadn't been reduced to liquidy nothing (although they could have used just a tad more seasoning). The corn tortillas were just excellent! It's really something when attention to the little details is noticeable, and these had good flavor. Most surprising was that the cheese filling was not runny greasy goo - it was hot, but not soupy. The pico de gallo was delicious enough to eat on its own (I got extra - good idea).

There were two minor disappointments that were not deal-wreckers. First, there were several (15-20) grains of crunchy rice in the Spanish rice, which was otherwise flavorful and tender. The head chef brought out a replacement bowl, and the owner offered a slice of cheesecake on the house for dessert, so I was impressed with their commitment to make it right. Second, the margaritas seemed to be the standard over-sweet mix with tequila. It was pretty good, but for $7.50 I could have used a little less mix and a little more lime juice and Cointreau.

The restroom was clean, the decor is quite nice, and I really hope they stick around. The service was among the most competent of any place I've visited here in Longmont with the possible exception of Sugarbeet, and they're on an entirely different level. I'm sad that my first time here is the night before I move east, because I'd really enjoy visiting this place regularly if I still lived here.

1  Thank ScienceChik
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were told it would be a ten minute wait when we arrived. No problem but there were four empty tables.
After about ten minutes we were seated. The server was prompt in getting our drink order. That was the last time anything was prompt. After sitting there for over ten minutes we got chips and salsa. Chips were not fresh. The salsa looked like paste but was very good and spicy.
The food. My wife got a blue crab enchilada with crab leg and lobster tail. The lobster was not cooked, the crab was over done. The crab was right out of the can. The sauce was good.
I got a pork burrito with red sauce (as told thee green chili had no spicyness to it but the red sauce did. The burrito. Was baked and the red sauce was burned. The pork had no spice to it and was sweet like sugar.
The rice had no taste. Even salt did not help. The best part of the meal was the beans. At least they were done.
We will not be going back.

2  Thank Cissydee
Reviewed June 18, 2013

If you're going to pay $140.00 for a meal for two, having TWO tables full of utterly undisciplined children playing sword fight around your table and under your feet is unacceptable. An OWNER who says there is nothing he can do, "Kids need to be kids" is absurd. One of our dishes was delightful, the other average at best, and the queso was cold. After numerous complaints, the wait staff tried to help, with no backup from the management. Don't waste your time or money here

4  Thank Tedster1