“This is seriously good Sushi...”

Sushi Kaiten Longmont
Ranked #138 of 287 Restaurants in Longmont
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We've just moved to Longmont after spending 15-years in Asia. I have been to Japan maybe 30+ times and would like to think I know the difference between good and bad Sushi. The quality at Sushi Kaiten is very very good, excellent tuna, excellent salmon (try their own in house smoked salmon, it is mouth wateringly good). I dont agree with any of the negative reviews on here because I have eaten here at least 6 times, with and without my family and we have always been impressed with the service (Doug, one of the the waiters is a great Ambassador, extremely knowledgeable and a wonderful host). The owners, John and Monica - as far as I can tell, are extremely diligent and caring. The range on the menu is excellent and I don't think the pricing is ambiguous nor over the top.

Those who think there is a better sushi restaurant in Longmont, need to get out more. It certainly isnt Sushi Leo and it certainly isnt Sakura (eaten at both).

We've made Sushi Kaiten the restaurant we go to weekly, we like it that much.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Visited recently for a family birthday party, and received friendly, caring service from all the staff. This was my first visit at a Kaiten (Conveyor belt) sushi place, and it was a novelty. Not sure about the other reviews regarding pricing, as the prices are clearly posted, by the plate, and seemed comparable to other sushi restaurants. As for the food, all was good, some truly excellent. John cold smokes his salmon, which is delicious. Blue fin sashimi was excellent, and it was my first try at cheek and belly, which were also great. John quickly created special items like octopus,sea snail, and fermented bean paste(not to my liking) when asked. The desserts were nothing special, but that's not what I visit a sushi restaurant for. Current owners have been there 2 years.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Sice I came from Mexico City I hadn't had the opportunity to eat a sushi with so much flavor. Beautifully done.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

To my surprise Longmont has its share of excellent sushi restaurants - Sakura, Kho's, Leo... all great and all places I've eaten at often. Sushi Kaiten used to be decent, but it's now the worst in town by miles. It's hard to know where to begin - overpriced, over-rated, under-portioned and...cardinal sin... not as fresh as it should be. Do the owners not realize that residents of Boulder County actually know what fresh sushi is supposed to taste like? I eat sushi at least twice a week. I don't mind paying for quality. I do not expect to be served sashimi I would not offer my cats, and then be given attitude when I politely requested a replacement as the fish was neither fresh nor well cut. I will never dine at this restaurant again and I suggest you give it a wide berth if you are in Longmont. There are far better choices in this little town, and most of them are less expensive - and more generous in serving size - than the sushi joints in Boulder itself.

1  Thank JenniferMK
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were very disappointed on a recent visit to this restaurant. We ordered a spicy tuna roll, not cheap at $10, and were surprised to find that the spice had been added with Sriracha hot sauce. We remarked to the waiter that this is unusual for a spicy tuna roll. A few minutes later the owner was at our table, telling us that this is not Japan and they serve food adapted to Colorado taste. When we responded that we have never had this Southeast Asian hot sauce on spicy tuna rolls at other Japanese restaurant in Colorado, she actually got angry at us, telling us that we should not give her waiter a hard time!
Some of the cheaper plates, like salmon (shake) were OK, but many were pricey and not very fresh. That alone would make us hesitant to return, but the treatment we received was shocking. I will never go there again.

1  Thank tkleeman