“Very nice experience”

Dickens Tavern
Ranked #25 of 277 Restaurants in Longmont
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Three friends and I came down from Cheyenne WY to enjoy lunch with fellow Kiwanians at the Skyline Kiwanis weekly Wednesday meeting, which is held in the Tavern. Everything was great, from the friendly greeting as we arrived, to the service, to the food. The food was good ol' tasty comfort food -- I had Mama's Meatloaf, others in the group had sandwiches and burgers. The serving size was just right for a light lunch. The building itself was impressive, with a bank vault on the first floor (this used to be a bank in times past) and the opera house on the second. The interior was quite nice, especially if you like the architecture of old-timey buildings. Certainly a place to consider for a very nice experience at lunch time. Free public parking is available just behind the restaurant, a few yards off 3rd Avenue, on Kimbark Street, and therefore very handy.

• Visited July 2014
Crazeecook, Owner at Dickens Tavern, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Good food, friendly service, and a nice environment? We're proud to be a triple threat in your book! I'm so happy you were able to join us for lunch, and that our Mama's Meatloaf really hit the spot. I'm even happier you'd take the time to write such a thorough and thoughtful review -- I'm sure other TripAdvisor users will find it very helpful! I'm not sure when you'll be in Longmont again, but we'd love to welcome you back the next time you're in town.

Until then,

Lafayette, Colorado
“Outstanding service and food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Was not sure what to expect since this was my first visit. It won't be my last. Sunday brunch was wonderful. I am a bit of a "benedict" snob and my vegetarian benedict was lovely, served with crispy potatoes. Other members of my party had the special caramelized onion and Swiss frittata, the vegetarian omelet, steak and eggs and the other special, fried chicken with green salsa and grits. The plates looked like they had been licked clean when we finished. Apparently the chef is from New Orleans and it shows. Meals were not spicy but beautifully seasoned. The coffee was good and our young waiter kept the cups full. He also brought free home baked drop biscuits delicately flavored with dill (we had a second plate!) It was quiet too although we got there early at 10am but it was nice to be able to have a conversation. I truly look forward to going back for lunch and dinner. The original red brick walls with oak paneling and mirrors fun to see.

• Visited May 2014
Crazeecook, Owner at Dickens Tavern, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your brunch with us. I'm particularly thrilled to hear you loved it so much that you plan to come back for more! It sounds like you and your group got a great sampling of what's on our menu and I'm so happy that from the Benedict to the biscuits, you enjoyed every bit of it. As a local restaurant we rely heavily on word of mouth and can't tell you how much we appreciate you taking the time to spread the good word about us, our staff, and our food here on TripAdvisor.

Hope to see you again soon,
Boulder, Colorado
“Really?”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

How on earth does this place get reviews so high? We went to see a concert at the Dickens Opera House which is the upstairs music venue for this restaurant. Because we got in line early we managed to get one of the little bistro tables. But then more and more people kept coming in, as they clearly oversell by at least 30 tickets. With standing room only, there were people lined up right in front of us. We were as amazed that the place has the temerity to oversell, as we were that people put up with this! We asked for our money back just before the show started, and they did give a refund with no hassle, so I'll give them that much. I overheard another outraged customer asking about the fire regulations, since this very old building would be a disaster if there were a fire. They simply reply, as if they've been asked this a thousand times, that they are allowed to have 300 people in the space. Up until there were people lined up in front of us, we were willing to put up with the poor service, the mediocre food, and the long wait to get in (will-call is at the same desk in the narrow entry stairwell, as ticket takers, so the line moves very slowly.) In short, this place is very poorly run, with little regard for the paying customer.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank RBTRAV
Longmont, Colorado
“Very cool atmosphere and great food”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It just has a cool vibe whenever you walk in. That's what we both thought when we stepped through the doors of the Dickens Tavern, right in downtown Longmont. With live music in front and more of a bar scene accompanying it, we chose to sit in the more quiet dining room which has a neat historic feel. We had the Mama's Meatloaf and My Favorite Salad and both were very good. The desserts also sounded great, but we were too full to try them. We will definitely be back.

• Visited March 2014
Crazeecook, Owner at Dickens Tavern, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
I'm so glad you like the vibe in here, and that our Mama's Meatloaf and My Favorite Salad hit the spot. I'm particularly thrilled to hear that you enjoyed them enough to want to come back for more. That might be the ultimate compliment right there!

I know you wrote this a few months ago but we just joined TripAdvisor and I wanted to thank you for the great review. If you haven't been in since you wrote this, we'd love to welcome you back.

All the best,
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Hit and miss”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This place has great appetizers (blue crab deviled eggs and fried pickles were delicious), but the main courses (polenta dish and a spicy shrimp pasta) were average to poor. The polenta was tasteless, poorly prepared and drowned in sauces. The pasta dish, although not terrible, was far too spicy for the small amount of flavor it had (this is coming from someone who generally likes spicy foods). Finally, the dessert (the raspberry coconut cake) was a joke. Although the cake itself was alright (nothing to write home about), the portion size was MINISCULE. Paid $7 for a tiny sliver of cake...there was almost more sauce on the plate than cake!

The good appetizers indicate that this place does have potential. But they need to work on consistency, adding flavor to their main dishes, and institute appropriate portion sizes and pricing.

• Visited March 2014
Crazeecook, Owner at Dickens Tavern, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
I really appreciate this feedback. We set a high bar for ourselves and, while it can sometimes be hard to hear, it's really important that we hear it. Consistency is incredibly important to us and I'm disappointed we haven't always been able to deliver. That said, I know our entrees can be just as great as our appetizers. Fried pickles and deviled eggs aren't the only thing we have going for us, and I'd love the opportunity to take this input back to the kitchen. We'd like to be able to hit the spot every time you come in, and I know we can take this feedback and use it to wow you the next time you're here.

Thanks again,