“Very Good, Standard Fare, Never Been Too Disappointed”
Review of Dickens Tavern

Dickens Tavern
Ranked #27 of 301 Restaurants in Longmont
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This location has seen many restaurants come & go. The Dickens Tavern seems to be the best restaurant in this location for quite awhile. My take: it is a good restaurant to have a reasonable meal with the family or spouse, have a drink or two, and not feel disappointed that you went to Dickens. There are no dishes that I have tried that stand out as something "signature" or extraordinary; the menu appears to aim toward an Irish flair.
The food is tasty, but one of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of healthy meal choices. The Lighter Fare menu contains very few low cal choices and I think that menu should have a few healthier choices. The portions are smaller, but bacon-wrapped shrimp or grilled chicken with mashed potatoes & gravy aren't exactly "lighter fare." The grilled salmon could be served without the mashed potatoes and the basil pesto and perhaps a rice dish or vegetables could be served instead of the oily, starchy sides.
On the other hand, if you are ready to dig in and not worry about your calories that evening, the food is very good.
I've tried the Crab Stuffed Deviled eggs - good, not disappointing. The pub shrimp is OK, but it could be spicier. I've also had the Dickens Pie and the fish tacos - both were good. My wife had the salmon and she enjoyed it as well. On Friday's, Dickens was having fresh fish flown in and I believe they still provide that menu. On 2 occasions, I have tried the fish specials and they were excellent, but on the pricier side. On those days, you have the opportunity to get a very good fish dinner cooked to your liking. On any other day, I would consider Dickens a good overall restaurant with slightly better than average menu. The food is well-prepared, but the healthy choices are limited on the menu.
The atmosphere is loud. It is less-than casual as you will likely find hats on at the tables (something I frown upon) and at times feels contradictory to the intended decor. We visit Dickens on those occasions where we don't want to spend a lot for dinner (unless it's the fresh fish) and have a decent meal without worrying about getting the kids too prepared.
There were times when my wife and I had ordered drinks (simple ones - glass of wine, shot of whiskey) and the drinks came after the dinner was served. Other times, the dinner came so close to the appetizer that we hadn't had the time to finish the appetizer. Service is marginal.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

We ate outside on a Saturday afternoon and enjoyed ourselves! We had pasta salad and beef sliders - with brie appetizer. I loved the brie the best but we cleaned our plates! Drinks were good and the service was fantastic!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you like fired pickles and sweet potato fries, served with a background of very loud music to make you feel like something is happening, this is your place. My wife resisted going for months, but I read the reviews here and finally talked her into it. She was right. Outdoor table had no charm, but at least the decibel level of the music was lower. Great beer selection though, and I drank two because it made the experience tolerable.

Reviewed February 26, 2011

What a find!! Renovated old building. Done fantastically. Menu is well balanced and from the things we ate, quite delicious. Pub shrimp, to die for. Great selection of Colorado microbrew on tap. Very friendly staff. Got my pic put on their wall for my birthday with a free dessert. It's my new hangout

Reviewed December 23, 2010

I have eaten at Dickens several times and have never been disappointed.
It is a notch above the standard Pub environment in every way. I think this is one of the best places to eat and drink on the northern front range!

Been to Dickens Tavern? Share your experiences!