“A neighborhood gem in the rough”
Review of City Cafe - CLOSED

City Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: 720-684-6239 Hours 8 a.m to 4 p.m. Tues-Sunday
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Lunch at the City Cafe was a pleasant surprise! The food prices were extremely reasonable, the quality of each dish was fantastic and the portions were very generous. The restaurant location is a little hard to find -- a small strip mall close to the main RR tracks and a busy intersection, but City Cafe is well worth the time taken to find it!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We noticed the City Café when we came out of the Flea Market at the intersections of Nelson Road and Pratt Blvd, so, we decided to give it a try. They have a good breakfast and lunch menu. We both had sandwiches which were very good and were accompanied with a garden salad which filled half of the plate. The greens were really fresh and crispy. Next time we come off the mountain, we're hoping to try one of their breakfasts. Service was friendly and good. Prices are reasonable and you surely get your money's worth.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

It's not easy to start a restaurant, and sometimes that fact is so obvious that customers pick up on it. I think that's why I have mixed feelings about the City Café.

This relatively new eaterie occupies a premises that needs a facelift. Right now it bears a depressing resemblance to a dim institutional dining room or one of those small halls rented out for catered events. This reality, coupled with a breakfast clientele that seemed almost entirely geriatric the day I went, creates quite a hurdle for the food and service to overcome.

But great food can make up for a lot, and I hoped it would. Our breakfast was served by a very pleasant women who appeared to be the only waitress on the floor. The food was homey and inexpensive, but plated in an amateurish fashion that looked as dated and institutional as the decor. My mushroom and spinach omelet was substantial and filling, however I was dismayed to find the mushrooms seemed to have been cooked lightly in oil. It's entirely a personal preference, but I dislike mushroom that feels slippery and greasy - this spoiled the omelet for me. My partner was happy with a large hash breakfast and said it was almost as good as something I would make.

Perhaps that's why we haven't been back. We often eat a breakfast that is not as good as one I make at home - that's a common hazard since I'm a trained chef. But it's nice not to have to cook , so I don't mind going out for an average meal so long as the change of surroundings is pleasant. That's really the problem here. We were not the only diners who felt awkward the morning we went. The musak was so soft and unobtrusive, we had to endure overhearing every word spoken by an elderly gentleman at a far flung table. Since he was trying to impress the ladies with him by means of noisy opinionated ramblings and crass "jokes", we were stuck with the role of an unwilling audience while we dined. The women speaking in hushed whispers at a window table near us looked just as uncomfortable as we felt.

Restaurant management can't do anything about a client's choice of conversation but they can prevent the entire restaurant from having to endure it. Turning up the music is an inexpensive instant solution to a mood-killer like this one. I had the impression, however, that the noisy gentleman was a regular the staff/owner chose to indulge instead.

My partner was happy enough with the food to want to try the City Café again. Personally, I'm not sure if feeling guilt-bound to "support" a new cafe in my town is a good enough reason to repeat my first experience. There are many more pleasant breakfast / lunch options in Longmont.

If you are on a tight budget, you'll find City Café offers a good value and a nice meal.
I hope this new business survives long enough to work on improving its surroundings and getting the hospitality recipe right. I'd love to be able to give more stars in the future.

4  Thank JenniferMK
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place just opened a bit ago, but they have it going for itself. Great food and great service. Not just the regular items specials all the time. Its just a great place to visit. If you live in or around Longmont Co you need to try this place.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

City Cafe has only been open for several weeks, but it's become one of my favorite spots for breakfast. (Haven't yet tried the lunch:) The food is absolutely delicious. They bake their own bread and have creative choices like ginger pancakes. They serve all the traditional breakfast fare, always cooked exactly as ordered. In addition to hash browns, they offer Yukon gold potatoes--yum! They also have their own sausage. The service is always attentive, upbeat and friendly. It's a basic, down-home type restaurant, with food to match.

1  Thank Chaps60