“Best Riding Experience Ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Livermore
Cherokee Park Ranch
London, United Kingdom
“Best Riding Experience Ever”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

If you love horses or just a curious on looker this ranch will look after you in every way. It is great for kids, families and adults, whether traveling alone or in a group. Me & my family have spent the last two summers here and would not hesitate to go again. The Princes family (Who own & run this ranch) embrace you and all the other guests as a member of their family for the week. The staff are always helpful and supportive of your needs.

If you want to ride you can do this all day every day on quality stock which is well matched to your riding ability. The rides are on excellent trails at the speed you are happy with. However, they also offer other activities from nature walks to trap shooting for the people who have less of the John Wayne in them.

This is a home style ranch. It has little in the way of finery. However the cabins we have stayed in (Pawnee & Beaver) were both exactly want we wanted from a ranch holiday in the wilds of deepest Colorado.

I would usually now state the downsides on my trip adviser reviews, however for this ranch I cannot think of any.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here this August (13th-20th) with our three year old and six year old, in the Falcon cabin, right on the rushing creek. The holiday couldn't have been better. The trails were stunning and the landscape was so varied, from aspen groves to steep rocky terrain but the horses are very solid and even as relative beginners we were able to cope very well with loping (cantering) rides by day two. The staff are so friendly and helpful and the "cowpoke" kids club was a big hit with my two. The hayride, rodeo and cowboys cookouts were great fun - it seems hard to believe the owners have been doing this for 15 years. They make you feel as welcome and as special as if you are the first ever guests they have had and they are going all out to impress.

The setting is beautiful. We loved fishing before breakfast, playing on the play park, cuddling the rabbits, swimming in the pool, sitting in our porch swing and hammock. My six year old was on loping rides all week on his horse Star and had a great time, especially on the horseback treasure hunt. Even our three year old got to ride every day and took part in the rodeo on his little pony.

It is no suprise that nearly every guest goes back for more. We never like visiting the same places twice but this was so exceptionally good that we are talking about going back in a few years time. We had a second week touring Colorado which was also brilliant fun and Livermore is a good starting place.

Room Tip: Falcon would be good if you have other friends/family in the other part of this big
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sussex UK
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We spent a fantastic week here in August having no previous experience of riding horses we were delighted with the freedom we were allowed - loping within a day through the gorgeous contryside. We all enjoyed the added extras - even our fouteen-year-old son got into the square dancing, probably mostly due to the encouragement of beautiful young wranglers! This is a really special place, we met some great people and it more than lived up to our dream of a really unusual, fun week. One word of warning...no internet and no mobile signal so don't tell anyone to expect to contact you while you are there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Great fun - very good horses and riding taken seriously - all levels catered for very well. Friendly and informal atmosphere -beautiful riding country. Friendly, young staff. Food good - if you want alcohol it is BYO. Minor gripe that our family accommodation was a bit basic although my brother's was better!

Perfect for enthusiastic children and adults. You need to join in as quite communal. Nice pool and a good range of evening activities if you want. A superb ranch run with passion and professionalsim. Children still talking about it and desperate to return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Timfromsussex
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I just returned from a stay at the Cherokee Park Ranch. This was the fourth guest ranch I’ve been to.

I was assigned the Hawk room within the “birdhouse” which is the original homestead cabin on the property. Hawk is on the second floor and is a small room (fine for one person) with a private bath. The room decor was fine, but one negative is that while the bed was very comfortable, the large headboard of the bed blocked much of one of the 2 windows in the room. This room is also the only room/cabin without a porch or deck to sit on I think. You can hear and see the river from the room, which is nice. There are 3 other rooms in the birdhouse- one more on the second floor and 2 on the first floor. Other accommodations are several rooms in the main lodge and the rest are individual cabins set along the Poudre River.

For me the main event is the riding and I really enjoyed it. The horse I was assigned, Rush, was nice and I really enjoyed him for the week. Most days a morning and afternoon ride is offered. One of my favorite rides was the “fast speed” ride to the Fajita cookout. I also did a 32 mile ride to the overnight camp out ($100 extra for the camp out). Slow, medium and fast speed rides are offered at each riding time, so you can choose if you want to just walk or if you want to lope. Much of the riding is nose to tail on trails though, but this is a sensible approach, as the horses get very competitive with each other when allowed to pass, especially when loping. It is not a complaint in my book, just an observation I figured I’d share in case this mattered to anyone who is interested in this ranch.
The guest rodeo on Friday was more fun than I expected-- I hate being the center of attention, so the idea of riding a relatively unfamiliar horse in events I normally don’t compete in (I ride English at home) did not thrill me, but it really was a lot of fun and everyone cheers everyone else on.

There are other activities in addition to riding such as fishing, rafting (extra cost), van trip to Laramie WY, nature walk, hike up Turkey Roost and van trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. I did the RMNP trip and it was beautiful, but is 6 hrs in the car for the day and about 2.5 hours in the park. I also enjoyed the Turkey Roost hike.

The food was hit or miss for me. I’ll list examples of fare offered during the week. Breakfast: breakfast tacos, French toast, oatmeal, bacon, fruit.
Lunch: burgers, Philly Cheese Steaks, fajitas, white pizza, brownies, lemon cake. Dinner: baked chicken, pasta, duck (adult candlelight dinner), bread, various salads, BBQ ribs, Derby Pie, apple cobbler.
One thing I did like was the always available lemonade, water and cookie jar. A different type of cookie was made almost everyday-- chocolate and the sugar cookies were my favorites.

The evening entertainment was good and something was offered each night except the first night and maybe one other night. Events included: hay ride to camp fire, mountain man presentation, visit to local artist’s house, staff show/awards ceremony, and a square dance.

Miscellaneous: This ranch has a high percentage of repeat guests which shows that people are happy with the product they provide. In addition many of the friendly staff members are former guests; they came with their families as children each year and are now working there while in college. Another thing I will mention is that the ranch gift shop does not sell western hats, as some ranches I’ve been to do sell. So if you go to Cherokee Park and want to get a hat, plan to pick one up in Fort Collins before your arrival or at home before setting out. The drive from Fort Collins is about 50 min.

If you are looking for a luxury ranch experience, you will not find that at CPR. However, if you are looking for a solid, middle of the road, western ranch experience, then CPR may be just what you are looking for. I found Cherokee Park to be a good value for price paid and one thing that is nice for single travelers is that there is no single supplement. I would return to Cherokee Park Ranch, as one visit is not enough to experience all of the activities.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Miramar
Chesterfield, UK
Reviewed December 14, 2007

We had our best ever holiday at the Cherokee Park Ranch this year. All the staff were friendly and we were made to feel relaxed & exceptionally well looked after at all times. The horses were excellent, the scenery stunning, the food superb and the cabins cosy. We rode every day in small groups, divided according to ability (on 3 days we did full day rides and on 2 days we did 2 half day rides). The location of the ranch means that there are a great variety of rides. As western rookies, we found the wranglers very supportive and helpful. All in all, wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank mk86
New York
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I travelled to CPR with my 11 yr old girls from 8/25/07 - 9/01/07. We are from NYC and have ZERO experience with horses, riding and Colorado. It was a memorable experience. The ranch is part of the most exquisite, natural country. Dickie and Christine Prince and their staff offer the perfect combination of class and comfort with rustic Western flair. Every possible situation has been addressed to make sure every guest has a great time.
The accomodations. Guests stay in either rooms in the main lodge wilth terraces or well-appointed cabins on the property.
Dining - The kitchen staff prepares gourmet quality meals 3 times/day whether in the main dining room or while cooking out.
Obviously the primary interestis the riding . Tha ranch maintains about 120 horses for the 40 guests. Each guest is matched for the week that is rider ability. Rides are offered as morning and/or afternoon or a lunch ride., all through beautiful Colorado country. The end of the week culminated in a Rodeo., with the guests as the contestants.

The kids were offered separate rides several times a week or could ride with me. One of the wranglers was also the kids counsellor and she was fabulous. There were arts and crafts and a kids overnight in a TeePee.
Non-riding activities available were skeet shooting, white water rafting fly fishing swimming in a pool and hot tub. also nature walks and hikes.
Evening activities were a lot of fun. There was a hayride and sing along in the mountains on a beautiful starlit evening. We all loved square dancing. One night we got a talk from the "Mountain Man" giving us his experiences in the old west.
Many of the guests return multiple times. There is a very good reason for that. CPR is simply great. We will be back too.

• Liked — The scenery, the interest the owners had in making their guests happy and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank LKlein

Been to Cherokee Park Ranch? Share your experiences!