“Hiking and wildlife to the max!”

Roxborough State Park
Ranked #2 of 45 things to do in Littleton
Reviewed January 2, 2012

What a great place for a hike. Scenic views and well maintained trails. Moderate hiking and you can easily do a 7 mile hike and see all sorts of wildlife. The Center down at the start is top notch and staffed.

All reviews
"per vehicle"
"ranger station"
"willow creek"

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Was a fun hike but I can find many trails where I don't need to pay to use them. I know it's a state park but I'm just saying... Also saw a rattle snake which freeked us out but we are hiking so it's expected!

Reviewed November 23, 2011

This place is nice fairly away from city. One has to drive through a dirt road for half a mile after entering the park. There are nice trails that you can hike. The view is impressive and calmness in ultimate. One might spot wildlife so keep you camera handy. Remember to carry cash to drop in at the entrance for the park entry fee. If you forget then you might have to travel on 121N towards wadsworth blvd a mile or two away from the park where you could withdraw cash for a fee at a gas station. Make sure to check out park timings.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

When I got to the park I was a bit disappointed. I went with my wife and father-in-law. You drive in and park in a small parking lot and there is very little around. You have to walk the visitors center, which you can't even see from the lot. I was a bit leery, but it wasn't very far. The visitors center was not very extravagant, but the park staff was very helpful and directed us to one of the hiking trails. There is no access to the rest of the park other than the hiking trails, and they are for foot hiking/running only (No bicycles, horses, etc.). After a few minutes on the trail I realized that the hiking only option was the beauty of the place. It is quite a large park, and we didn't see another person during our entire 2-3 mile loop hike. Pretty impressive considering the parks proximity to a city of millions of people. The geology (red rock formations) and flora were great. We also saw some great wild life. The park is a treasure trove for photography enthusiasts. Other than the fairly hot day, it was an excellent experience. I would definitely recommend this as a great place to escape the city and be alone to enjoy nature. There was a $7 entrance fee which is standard at all the state parks I have been to this year. They also do annual passes. We were at the park for probably 3 hours with all the stops for photos. If it hadn't been nearly 100 degrees this day, I could have stayed and done another trail.

2  Thank ColoDavid
See more reviews
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Up and down the front range there are a number of notable places to see the famous red rocks of the Fountain Formation. There is the Garden Of The Gods in Colorado Springs, which is a beautiful setting with some nice walks. There is Red Rocks Park to the west of Denver, which -- in my view -- focuses so much on the impressive amphitheater that the geology and nature of the area is almost overlooked...and the park needs some clean-up...it's beginning to look very tired. It was with great pleasure that I recently discovered Roxborough State Park to the southwest of Denver. For my money -- and there is an entry fee -- it's perhaps the best place to see, and actually hike among the red rocks of the Fountain Formation. Part of the entrance road is graded dirt, but once inside the park the road is paved. Near the visitor center (and restrooms and parking area) are the starting points for several trails, and I would recommend the Fountain Valley Trail, which is about 2.25 miles in length. It's a loop, and I suggest taking the eastern section "down" (literally), which leads to an old house, at which point you turn back on the western section of the loop. This is where the scenery is really outstanding as you walk among the tilted red rock layers. There's quite a bit of nearly swampy land in this section, so in the late afternoon there's a nice contrast between the red rocks and the green plant growth. The only negative here is that several housing neighborhoods are encroaching on the beauty of the park, although at this point they almost add to the scenic aspect of place.

2  Thank vinlyn