“Great French Food in Littleton, CO”
Review of JaJa Bistro

JaJa Bistro
Ranked #63 of 422 Restaurants in Littleton
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Good food,comes in small houses. We are a small french Bistro open for Brunch & Dinner. Many of our dishes have an america element because we try to source locally. We made butcher and cure all of our own meats and at brunch all of our eggs are cage free.
Colorado
“Great French Food in Littleton, CO”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Fresh French dishes and a warm cozy atmosphere are what you'll find at Ja Ja Bistro, just off Main Street in old downtown Littleton, CO. I had the chicken with eggplant, a creation of the chef at Ja Ja's. Others in our party enjoyed eh trout almondine and veal. Service was excellent, but the atmosphere of the turn of the century home was wonderful on a cold night. Ja Ja's rendition of dates wrapped with bacon was well done, with just the right amount of sweetness.
The bistro is small, so get there early and make reservations.

• Visited March 2013

Littleton, Colorado, United States
“The Best restaurant in Littleton”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Jaja's is one of the most unique restaurants that accommodates its clients beautifully. The first time I ate there I was blown away by the genuine food, staff and environment. Every bite was perfection. I spent $120 not including tip and thought I had been undercharged, but I had not. I gushed about that meal for a month! It is such a romantic place and the food is divine. Matter of fact, I will be eating there in about a week or so and I cannot wait!

• Visited January 2013
Littleton, CO
“Summer is the best time to visit”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The food is delicious, but the dining room is noisy, go in the summer and you can sit outside. Great for couples, company or just you and your wife. You will not be disappointed.

Visited August 2012
Cedar Park, Texas
“Good, but not quite as good as expected”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

In my seemingly endless search for a good French restaurant in the "burbs" south of Denver, I was informed of this bistro. I was most lured by the fact that they claim to serve authentic soup a l'onion in the winter months. Since today was a cold day, I decided to give it a try. I called the bistro first, to ensure they were open on a Saturday for lunch, and got a recording with their hours. I was going to ask to ensure they had the soup today, but couldn't, as it was a recording.

We found the quaint little place tucked away on a side street off Main Street in Littleton. It only seats about 25 people, so was glad to see they were not crowded. The first thing I asked was whether they had the onion soup. The server said it was only available at dinner (something that should be made clear, as real French onion soup is so hearty that it is a lunch staple and even substitute for many who find the real thing). I expressed my profound disappointment, and asked if they could possibly make it for me anyway, or if there was any left over. She checked and said no on both counts. She offered the cream of broccoli; but I told her I was there for authentic French food.

I had also read about the herbs de Provence fries and mussels, so consoled myself with ordering that. That dish, I was told, was not available, either, as they had a crowd the night before and did not have enough for the next day's lunch--even though it was on the lunch menu. I asked for unsweetend iced tea, and without any explanation, a flavored tea was brought to me. That, too, should be disclosed. It was pleasant, but I don't always care for flavored tea. I was not offered any refills.

My husband chose the Poulet Bechamel crepe ($12), and I finally chose the "Le Provencal" ($12) baked dish without the red sauce mentioned in the menu. The server was nice enough to bring me a complimentary large bowl of the fries with the dipping sauce while we waited, to compensate for my lack of being able to order what I really wanted. They were quite good, but not as sensational as I had imagined. The dip was quite good, as well.

The server brought out the food (not knowing how to pronounce "provencal", but thanked me for correcting him), and my plate included a small metal bowl that was the baked dish and a tasty oil and vinegar salad.

The baked "Provencal" looked quite small but promising. It had a thick stripe of cheese on top, and small chicken thin squares below, in addition to onions, spinach and a broth. I had to use a knife to cut through the cheese, but that was no problem--more cheese is better than less. The problem was that the dish wasn't particularly tasty; the chicken pieces did not seem to have been simmered with the broth, as they were not saturated and not tender or tasty. I ended up leaving most of the dryish chicken pieces while eating the rest of the contents.

My husband's crepe was quite substantial, and my small taste of it was good. The Bechamel sauce wasn't as tasty as it could be, but the crepe was quite filling. We eat crepes a lot in the months each year we spend in France. There also could have been a bit more of the sauce to more saturate the crepe, as we are accustomed to in France. A salad (greens with oil and vinegar) was served on the plate, as well, as is the French custom.

It is quite a cute and quaint place; but I don't think we will return. It turned out to be farther from us than we thought; and, maybe we just caught them on a bad day, but nothing was outstanding. Because it is so small with such limited seating, and because they don't take reservations, we are unlikely to chance it for dinner, even though I would like to see if their onion soup tips the scales as far as really good French food goes.

• Visited December 2012
jajabistro, Owner at JaJa Bistro, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Bonjour and thank you so much for visiting our restaurant. We value your opinion and take these seriously. First I wanted to apologize for not being able to offer you the soupe a l'oignon! We pride ourselves on our soup and offer it nightly during the winter months. It is made by small batch so that we can properly caramelize the onions in the wine to really develop the flavor. After an incredibly busy evening, we sometimes run out and aren't able to have the new batch prepared before the next dinner service. While we do not advertise it via menu or website for lunch, we are rethinking things to see if we can offer this fabulous soup to our lunch guests on a regular basis. I also am sorry you did not fully enjoy your lunch choice. While we respect your right to alter a dish to your liking, The Provencal, consisting of chicken cheese, onions and spinach is not the same without the sauce that you asked your server to omit. After all, it the sauce's job to bring everything together and add moisture to a dish. ;)

While we wouldn't consider this a bad day at the restaurant, we hope you will reconsider giving us another try, perhaps even for dinner. You can, indeed, make a reservation. We take them anytime during the week and within one hour of seating Friday and Saturday nights. We do this simply because we experience an unfortunate number of "no shows" and this is deadly to a 45 seat bistro such as ours. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent Food and Atmosphere at reasonable price”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We have been to Jaja Bistro many times over the years, but not recently until last evening.
It was a pleasure to be welcomed back to this warm and quaint little gem in downtown Littleton.
This past summer we spent a week in France, and Jaja brought back many fond memories- it was almost like being back there- maybe even better!
The food is high quality and the service and atmosphere are also first rate.
Highly recommended for a special evening or just a casual meal out.

• Visited December 2012