“Great motel, good value on the edge of town”

Columbine Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Leadville
Melbourne, Australia
“Great motel, good value on the edge of town”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I looked around town for a motel that was conveniently located in the centre of town and there are two or three, where you could easily walk along the main street, but they looked so old and scruffy that I decided to jump onto my iphone and find a free wireless connection and check out TripAdvisor. I don't like taking too many chances for a single overnight stay so Columbine looked good from the reviews.
For $60 I had a very reasonable room with good heating, and it was -25C outside. Large older style TV and continental breakfast in the dining room. I was happy with the room and when travelling alone I look for no-nonsense clean and cheap places. I'll be the first to can a place if it is unclean or the staff are horrible.
The rooms are inside the building, so consider whether you want to lug bags inside and down a corridor. Didn't bother me but I do like parking directly outside my room.
Front door locks around 10pm and a rear door is accessible by your room key.
Single staff member on duty up til 10ish.
Motel is located on the edge of town and a bit of a walk to town in the cold but summer would probably be a pleasant walk. But not at 25C below.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We had made reservations way ahead of time for a first floor room for a physically impaired family member. This place has no elevator. When we arrived we found that we had been moved to a second floor room to make way for a wedding group that had come in that wanted to stay together. The only response from the owners was an angry "so go somewhere else." we would have if all of leadville wasn't all booked up. Our family member painfully made due with the stairs which made our stay in Leadville horrible. Leadville itself is wonderful but steer clear of this place if you have a physical disability.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank ibewnature
Lagunitas, CA
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We really enjoyed our one night at the Columbine. The room was quiet and clean and decorated how I imagine a motel in Switzerland would be.The owner is on premises and gave an excellent restaurant recommendation, Quincy's. Quincy's serves filet mignon for $7.95. The free continental breakfast in the morning was a treat.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Castle Rock, CO
Reviewed September 28, 2010

The Columbine Inn is located just a mile from downtown near a couple of stores and gas stations. You might be tempted to drive by and find a place "in town", but this is Leadville and accomodations are limited. We were pleased that the Inn was quiet, despite being near the roadway. We had a room that faced the back and had a lovely view of mountains and forests.
The staff was very friendly, the rooms clean, comfortable, and spruced up with nice table and chairs and artwork. Either previous reviewers were being too picky in criticizing the bath towels or the owner took note and improved the linens. Either way, the towels were just fine. The dining room had east facing windows and cheery decor making it very pleasant to sit and enjoy a limited, but very adequate continental breakfast. The lobby was spacious with plush seating and a fireplace.
I consider any room under $80 - $90 to be a risk, but the Columbine Inn and Suites represented a great value. I will stay here again and have no problem recommending it to friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ricardo16
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Very satisfied with this place. We stayed there three nights, and we will stay there again on our next trip. The towels are a little on the thin side, and the breakfast is very basic - cereal and bagels - but everything else was very nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2010

After leaving Buena Vista, we landed in Leadville which has the highest elevation in the country-over 10,000 feet above sea level! Make sure you drink gallons of water, or you'll experience altitude sickness, i,.e., headaches!

We didn't have a reservation and spent at least an hour looking at the meager accomodations in town. Although The Alps was highly rated on TA, it was a scary dump. Glad I looked at the one room available. The two B and B's were also creepy. My husband and I stopped at the tiny Welcome Center on main street and found The Columbine Inn. You'll find the motel as you leave the town going toward Denver.

The rate was incredible, the rooms and hotel, clean and roomy. We had a million dollar view from our bed-Twin Lakes and the mountains that surround the lake. There is an indoor hot tub that was always vacant, giving us complete privacy. There is a cute breakfast room and continental breakfast is served. They do claim to be completely wireless, but we couldn't get our new IPAD to work in our room. It was the furthest room from the lobby. We did get wireless in the lobby.
The hotel is owned, operated by a Polish couple who seem well regarded in town. Note the Map of Poland in the breakfast room. It was a great launching pad for us to go hiking, mountain biking and exploring. The town is quite historic and we found several great places to eat...cheap! Quincy's was #1, with their $9.99 filet dinners. Another was a Mexican place across the street called Manuelita's-Great fish tacos.

My only complaint about the Columbine Inn was that the mattress was too soft and bouncy for our liking. We also like softer pillows. I would recommend, that the Owner's upgrade the bedding for comfort.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiscriminatingDiva08
Wisconsin
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Rooms are decorated in a Columbine theme. Carved headboards, lace curtains and table runners, fake greenery in the room all make it seem very "danish". Bietta and Joch are from Poland and are both very nice and helpful. The walls are very thin. I did see a couple people mention the small thin towels which I also too noticed. And on thing someone else mentioned was a near catastropy for our family. Our room was near the end so we left that way but coming back after dark and no light - my 93 year old grandma almost took a nasty tumble on that very same uneven asphalt and who knows what could have happened if I hadn't been right there to steady her. She lives by herself and is very independant. I would hate for a fall like that to take away her independence. I suggest it get fixed ASAP. We did use the hot tub, and we to noticed the water level seemed low. And the water at 104 degrees is just to hot for some. I think a nice 101 would be acceptable. And it needs more chemicals. I use protect plus on mine at home and alternate with chlorine (I'm allergic to Bromine). Keeps it in very well working order, but must keep it full. When you open your rooms door and the ceiling seeps to heave, thats a sign of cheap ceiling - not soundproof. Could be a problem. I must say, we did enjoy our one night here. I'm not going to nit pick it to death. I just needs some simple touches. And for gods sake when you say no dogs - GET THE PEOPLE WITH DOGS OUT!!!!! We will be back (if we're allowed after this review!!)/ Brealfast the next morning was toast, juice, coffee, cereal and rolls. Not up to Holiday Inn Sunff, but pretty good and great view. Don't give up - just keep improving! They will come!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Ripleyroo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leadville
Delaware Hotel
#5 of 8 in Leadville
The Twin Lakes Inn
The Twin Lakes Inn
#1 of 2 in Twin Lakes

Been to Columbine Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!