“Columbine Inn worked for us”

Columbine Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Leadville
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were in Leadville and looking for place to spend the Tuesday night. On WiFi at local coffee shop (City On a Hill, downtown, quite nice) desperately searching for local motel deal. Tried all the normal finders (Hotels.com, priceline, expedia) with little success. Finally called up Columbine Inn and got good rate over the phone. Come on down.
Room was clean, tidy, and quiet. Well-run. The bathrooms were exceptionally clean, almost new. Continental breakfast was simple, but the coffee and OJ and danish were fine by me. Wife did oatmeal and was happy.
All in all... just what the doctor ordered. Quiet, clean, restful night. Would do again in a heartbeat. Filet mignon at Quincy's downtown was GREAT!

Room Tip: Think about which view you want... both sides have different but good views of surrounding mountains...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KCOnABQ
There are newer reviews for Columbine Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at this motel. It's at the far side of town. From Aspen and Independence Pass, you'll go through the town in it's entirety before you find it. Our visit in July was consistent with the previous visits, with the exception of our room. We had, what I consider, the best in the house. A very large King room with big pull out sofa and jacuzzi tub. This was a nice surprise since it was the last town we would be visiting before returning to Denver. If you've read my posts before, we did a circuit from Denver which included Crested Butte, Durango, Telluride and Aspen. Leadville, itself, is a beautiful part of Colorado, but after Aspen (in my opinion, not my husband's) a bit of a letdown. No shopping except touristy gift shops. And, no cultural things to do (like Music festivals). My husband had a friend running the Leadville Heavy Half marathon. Leadville has turned out to be THE place for trail running (Leadville 50 and 100 mile races). It's also a great place to mountain bike and hike. We hiked the Turquoise Trail which is pretty close to the hotel. Note to anyone just arriving...Leadville is over 10,000 feet in elevation. You need to drink gallons of water or be in top shape to be able to breathe in this environment. We'd done the water thing starting in the plane coming from Denver.

Anyway, back to the hotel. Our room was quiet and clean. The King bed was comfortable and the shower had good water pressure and was consistently hot. Ditto for the jacuzzi tub. Nice to have after a long day working out. No a/c, but leaving the windows open was not a problem because of the motel's location out of town.

The staff was so-so. Not too friendly and it seemed no one was around at the front desk. I dropped my key off in a basket upon check-out.
Biggest beef is the continental breakfast. Every other place we visited, with continental breakfast, included an egg dish or hard boiled eggs. Columbine has cereals, coffee, breads and juice. Please add some eggs for the low carb set!

When you visit Leadville, you won't have too many choices for hotel accommodations. We would return to this motel. The views, alone, as you drive to the back of the building, are worth it.

Room Tip: There are two sides to this property. Ask for a view room. Deluxe if you want more space and a jacuz...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DiscriminatingDiva08
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It's not a fancy place, but it's clean and they are friendly. The coffee is pretty decent too, which is pleasantly surprising. I stayed here twice for work. The second time they put me in a room that smelled bad, but they switched me without a problem when I complained.

Room Tip: They seem to allow dogs. I didn't have a problem, but if you are concerned asked for a room away...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ColoTravellers
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This Inn has a very comfy feel. Our room was very spacious, no falling over each other here. Lobby is very welcoming and entire property spotless. The view from the property is amazing! Such a treat just to gaze out the window at the beautiful rockies. Neat little Inn in an interesting little town!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jossey
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay with three rooms, 9 people with no complaints. Clean, friendly, good breakfast selection. Super quiet but excellent to sit out front an enjoy the weather/views. Will stay here every time. Thanks for selling/mailing my postcards!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank EatDanceTravel
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My favorite hotel in Leadville, Colorado. I do a lot of business travel - it's a great deal for the price you get. The hotel is clean, the rooms are decent, and the staff is very friendly. I've stayed in just about all the hotels in Leadville and the Columbine is my favorite.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for the handicap room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PowderFiend
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This place was as clean and well kept as places costing 3 times as much. The rate was incredibly reasonable. The bed wasn't anything super fancy, but it did have a tempurupedic foam overlay and I slept like a baby on it. The TV was an old school tube, but HBO was piped in and it came with both a microwave and refrigerator. The room was plenty spacious enough for all your gear and the bathroom water was nice and hot. I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brian M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leadville
Delaware Hotel
#5 of 8 in Leadville
The Twin Lakes Inn
The Twin Lakes Inn
#1 of 2 in Twin Lakes

Been to Columbine Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!