“It is worth the wait!”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Bend, Oregon
“It is worth the wait!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

From the moment you walk in the door, you are greeted by the friendly staff. Often the place is full, because the food is that good. The first time I was at The Grill was in the 1980's and it was reccomended by locals. I've returned often since that time.
It says, right on the menu, that it may take awhile to get your food, because everything is prepared fresh. And it is. James, the owner, is often in the kitchen, making sure that the food is coming our hot and fresh! While you wait, a cold beer or a pitcher of Margaritas with a hot basket of chips is perfect to take the edge of your hunger!
My favorite is the Robert's Especial Stuffed Sopapilla smothered in green chili! Yum Yum! I have never had anything like it, anywhere! This was named after the late owner. It is always wonderful!

The place has a party atmosphere, mainly because it is The Place to take out of town visitors. Many locals go there for a quick bite, on the way home from an adventure, or just when they don't want to cook.

If the weather is good, sit on the back patio and gaze at the great mountains of the Continental Divide.

Often, when I ski at Vail, I go to The Grill, and order a few more dishes to go, so I can have some of their wonderful food back at the Condo. As I write this, I wish I were in Leadville again, so I could have more of their great, tasty food.

• Visited February 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fabulous Mexican Dining”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had been here several years earlier and had no one to tell, but now. This place is wonderful. If traveling in the high mountains it's a must; not only for the giant sized portions, or the detailed cooking procedures,fresh ingredients, there in the minuscule prices for all the items on quite an extensive menu. Fortunately for us we had been climbing and fishing for a while and were very hungry, it was the only way we could have finished such a feast. If you don't want to wait in the bar or outside area enjoying the view come early and tap into the happy hour deals. The place fills up fast, and it can take a while to enjoy and finish your selections.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fun place!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were sent here by three locals, all independent of one another and unaware of the other's recommendation. It is what you might call a "hole in the wall" type of place. However it is clean, busy (though not overly), the food was really good, and the service was excellent. They warn you that your food may take a while because they make it fresh, however I found the wait very reasonable. Or maybe that was the pitcher of Margaritas .....

• Visited July 2013
Houston, Texas
“Great Mexican food”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went to The Grill for dinner on a Saturday night. The place was crowded (and we were told it is frequently this way). We were greeted by several people when we entered the restaurant. We were seated quickly. We were seated at a booth--it moved a little with me, as I inched across, which made me think it wasn't attached well at the floor.
We received a basket of chips. I suspect they were homemade but am not sure. They were wonderful. They had enough salt for me which is usually not the case. These were salted just right for my taste.

A waitress quickly took our drink orders and then our food orders. The selections held plenty of choices. I chose a strawberry margarita and the fajita burritos. The margarita was ok. I've had better but it was still drinkable. The burritos were ok. The meat was tender but the tortilla was slightly over-cooked (just a little) but still very edible. In hindsight, I learned that I could add chili sauce (red or green) for an extra charge--I will definitely keep that in mind next time.

Overall the atmosphere was nice, the service was spot on, and the food was good. I will definitely return.

• Visited June 2013
North Platte, Nebraska
“Excellent Food and service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had the half order of Chicken Nachos Supreme. Wow! It was all I could do to finish this plate. They really pile it on. I also had three of the best margaritas I have ever had. This Grill is on an out of the way street. It is inside an older building with an old wooden bar "I believe they said was made by Budweiser" I have ate here before over the years and all the food was quality.

Visited May 2013

Been to Grill Bar & Cafe? Share your experiences!