“Belly Up”

Silver Dollar Saloon
Ranked #12 of 31 Restaurants in Leadville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: A bar/restaurant full of history and memorabilia. Great food and hospitality. Photos allowed and info on the back of the menu.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

When you step into the Silver Dollar Saloon in Leadville, it's hard to believe that Oscar Wilde once bellyed up to the bar, as he toured the American West & performed at the local theater in the late 1800s. Altho the food is nothing to write home about, the beers are good & cold & the Wild West ambience is worth every penny.

It's a great place to stop for lunch on the way to Aspen & nearby antique shops & a first-rate bookstore add to the shabby charm of this once prosperous mining town from where famed author & Eastern transplant Mary Hallock Foote wrote her tales of the West..

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Please, go out of your way to go here. Worth every minute. This old time saloon has so much history I had to step up to the bar & ask for a whiskey (which they gave me obligingly & didn't ask what brand)!!! It was like I just rode up on my horse from a long day gun slinging. Doc Holliday lived in Leadville for 4 years & you almost felt that if you turned around you would see him & "Big Nose" Kate sitting at a table playing cards. From the honky tonk piano in the back room to the original bar, it's the real McCoy! The only thing it was missing were the "girls" upstairs. By the way, did I mention the food was fantastic. The chili is a must have!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Good food, great drinks, seriously friendly staff make this a go to place every time we are in the area. Nice pool room in back-grab a few beers and relax!

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a great lunch in this historically interesting saloon! It was the closest we've been to experiencing the old west ambiance seen in photos. I'm not sure what all of the not so great reviews are about! We had a delicious burger (hand ground black angus from a local ranch) and the best hand cut fries ever, toasted fresh bun and all the trimmings for 7.99! And a great Irish coffee for 4.75! This is the best deal ever! All in a fascinating, old time saloon with friendly locals there to share local lore. This was a great experience! As for those with silly complaints about lack of beer on tap, the place is almost 200 years old. Running tap lines to a giant cooler of beer kegs probably isn't practical. And the poor food reviews don't make sense, I've been a restaurateur for twenty years and think this place is great! So go when you're in Leadville!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Let's start with the atmosphere, which is dingy and out-dated. We had to walk a gauntlet of smokers outside the front door in order to enter the establishment; this might not have bothered me as much if not for the fact that these were the same people preparing and serving our food! The food is ok - nothing to rave about, but the meals taste good, are prepared to order and are reasonably priced.

I still can't get over the fact that they have no beers on tap. I don't know that I've ever been to a bar without at least two beers on tap. Leadville doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of dining establishments, but I'd honestly rather just picnic next time I'm in town.

2  Thank COLadyRoadWarrior