“elegance at "2 miles high"”

McGinnis Cottage Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leadville
McGinnis Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Leadville B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Visited Leadville to attend a Zikr dance performance at Tabor Opera House. Found this charming B&B on the Leadville website. Donna (hostess) was extremely friendly & gracious from my first conversation with her through the end of my 2-night stay. I first called to book, and Donna also humored me on two subsequent calls to confirm our reservation and answer my questions about mountain driving + the easiest approach to Leadville for a guest from "a flat state" with little mountain driving experience! Stayed in the Leadville Sleeper. Bathroom was nicely appointed (even nicer than I expected from the online picture) and the king bed was very comfortable. Not much extra space in the room, the bed & BEAUTIFUL armoire pretty much fill it up, but in my opinion this was not an issue since I enjoyed the comfortable, elegantly appointed common sitting room and definitely met some interesting fellow travelers there. The breakfast was a work of love by our hostess - she clearly enjoys the process of setting, preparing, and serving breakfast for her guests. I plan to return with my sisters for our annual getaway this year or next, and hopefully with my husband within the same time frame to enjoy some mountain hiking. With the Leadville 100 race series based here and "14-ers" Mt. Massive/Mt. Elbert close by, I found the businesses in town to be very hiker/runner "friendly". I highly recommend McGinnis Cottage Inn. Walked past another B & B featured on the Leadville website and was glad I didn't choose it! (btw, I am highly allergic to cats. Although we met a feline friend on the porch, I had absolutely no problems with allergies in the room or common areas. Felt it important to share this since cats are mentioned in few reviews.)

Room Tip: Look at pictures so you can match your preferences. Toured the queen suite which was lovely and has...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The McGinnis Cottage Bed & Breakfast is very comfortable and nicely decorated. We relaxed in the upstairs suite and bathed in the large, jacuzzi tub. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well. The breakfast was delicious and we enjoyed the company of a very pleasant Australian couple. Donna is a very good cook and a lovely hostess. Thank you, Donna!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our stay at the McGinnis Cottage was wonderful! The owners were friendly and engaging, a wealth of interesting life tales. The B&B was spotless, the rooms fresh and beautifully decorated. Breakfast was delicious, very european. On a side note, I noticed a review that spoke of cats...we had no idea there were any cats present throughout our 3 day stay. Not a smell or a peep from them! We will definitely be returning in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hightide1977
Reviewed April 7, 2013

2-night stay here; cleaner than my own house, beautifully appointed; fluffy lovely beds; if you can swing it I highly recommend the upstairs floor suite - it was so wonderful. Large jet tub/bathroom in separate room from bedroom with nice cozy sitting spots, gas fireplace. Donna is a great host and so friendly and lovely to talk to. They have a huge stash of books and movies you can watch, very short walk to the visitor center, the museum and the downtown - so accessible. We ate so much every morning at the breakfast that was included we didn't wind up eating lunch either day. So much to chose from for all appetites and very good. We will be returning in spring and staying there.

Room Tip: We took a look at the smaller rooms and they were beautiful too.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TerryTampa
Reviewed January 2, 2013

3 days ago i read a review on trip advisor and booked a room for an upcoming sporting event. I booked this on line and received my confirmation of booking and payment. The web site also updated to show my room was unavailable after I received my confirmation. The other 3 remaining rooms were all available at the time. So i was all set.....well I thought I was until I received a "cancellation email" last night. I called the owner to ask why was my confirmed cancelled. The owners response within one sentence was as follows...."well that room was booked two weeks ago", "you booked too far in advance" but also you "needed to book a minimum of 4 nights" (no mention of this on the policy which i read before booking). I asked are all rooms booked and the owner said yes. I then asked when was the last available room booked and the owner said tonight! Anyone would have picked up the phone and called me to offer me the last room if indeed the owner made a booking mistake for the room I confirmed 3 days ago and all my contact details were available to the owner with my reservation. Out of interest I looked up the web after calling last night and sure enough 3 out of 4 rooms showed unavailable. I booked and had my room confirmed on 12/29 and on 1/1 an email from the event organiser was sent out across the nation for participants to register. As you can easily work out from all the above the owner RE SOLD my room at a premium to someone else and I am 100% sure of this fact unless the owner can prove otherwise. Everyone reading this review has a choice to stay here or not and sure my review is contradictory to most of the other review on this B&B. But I want to tell you one thing before you make your booking decision - the approach and manner in which the owner of this B&B treated me is extremely disappointing and completelty goes against all the hard work and spirit the sporting event organizers have tried to create for the excellent town of Leadville.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Foxtrot2002
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stupidly did not realize the independence pass was closed in the winter and had to cancel our reservations in Aspen and make a detour to Leadville. We called them at 8pm and the owner, Donna was about ready to call it a night but happily waited for us to arrive as she was vacant.

She was a sweet host, as she was very hospitable but gave us space. Her home was beautiful and our room was comfortable, warm, and with a small balcony with view of the mountain. The bed was comfy but my only recommendation is fluffier pillows, as all of our pillows (except decorative) were pretty flat and needing replacement. The breakfast was oatmeal with plenty of fixings (fruits, granola, nuts, etc), yogurt & cereal if you wish, and she prepared eggs and bacon which was delicious.

If we come back to Colorado, we would love to come back to Leadville to stay here!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the balcony. :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelSeeker22
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had the room at the top which was very spacious and comfortable. This is as good as any B&B we have stayed in anywhere with lots of little touches to make one's stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. The lady running the place is very friendly and a home-maker. There was a wide range of delicious options for breakfast which was wonderful (including oatmeal which I very much enjoyed). The one thing my husband disliked was the cinnamon in the coffee! We were given dinner recommendations which was very helpful. The B&B is very conveniently located for wandering around Leadville.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wildflower68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leadville
Delaware Hotel
#6 of 8 in Leadville
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#5 of 8 in Leadville

Been to McGinnis Cottage Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!