First of all the management is NEVER in the office even though the open sign is always on you have to call them on a phone (that sometimes works), wait (in the freezing cold), and then check in/out. Then we were directed to the "Apartment in the back". Great! We thought it would be nice for the $70 a night we paid (even though the website says $40+). We got through the unplowed drive way and trudged up to the door. After working the key for five minutes we got in. It was 6 degrees outside and it was 20 degrees inside. The problem was that the thermostat was sat directly on the heating unit (which was made for a doublewide mind you) and to get it to 60 degrees in the place we had to turn the thermostat up to 90. There were two electric space heaters in the living area and the bedroom but one of them was completely broken. Next to the furnace was a picture on the wall that covered up a hole in the wall where cold air was pouring in (see photo). While there were a sink, oven and refridgerator, there was not one single utensil in the entire place. Not even a tea kettle. The tellie was about the size of my laptop monitor and the HBO (or even local cable) reception was AWFUL (see photo). There was a bedsheet over the window that was actually STAPLED up there. There was a plastic rack for placing clothing but it served best as a towel rack as there wasn't one in the bathroom. There were free samples as toiletries (still in the plastic wrap (see photo). There were nails in the walls in the bathroom. The bathroom light was all melted because the wrong fitting was over the heater (see photo). The light in the bedroom was missing a cover (see photo). And my partner noticed (he works in the building sciences industry) that the in and out piping to the furnace was done incorrectly and actually against CODE! (see photo). The last straw was when I sat down on one of the chairs and nearly cracked my head open because the back was completely detached from the seat (see photo). The door jam in the bathroom, which was poorly nailed in, fell off onto my chest/neck (with nails in it mind you). The staff was quite curt and not forthcoming or helpful when we couldn't get the door to work properly.
The only good thing about this place was the proximity to downtown, but come on, it's Leadville... you can't GET that far from downtown.