Rodeway Inn Cow Palace
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Chek Inn(Lamar)
View Hotel
All reviewshot tubgood luckcontinental breakfastwe've stayedmom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The atrium was very nice. The rooms definitely need an update, especially the bathroom. We asked if there was breakfast in the morning and we were told yes, when we went for breakfast we were informed we had to pay but got a discount. I like to have a clock in the room and there wasn't one. The air con/ heat did not work, the thermostat had no indication of temperature or how anything worked. I will try another hotel in Lamar if we stay there again.

Room Tip: Bottom floor inside rooms have a nice touch with the atrium.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe F
DAT52, Owner at Rodeway Inn Cow Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Hi Joe, thank you for your thoughts and concerns about our Hotel. I'm wondering if the front desk was called regarding your issues? We are in the process of remodeling the entire Hotel as it was completely trashed when we took it over in late 2011. There are 100 rooms and we do have many done, but I need your help when there is any issue. We have put notices on all the beds passing along this kind of information and really want our guests to call the front to get you taken care of. How were the beds? That is my pride and joy as they surpass any of the 4 star Hotels mattresses. Please feel free to call me on my personal cell phone if you need to visit more. That number is 801-842-4000.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

This place just keeps getting better everytime we stay. The room was clean. the beds were soooo comfortable. The courtyard is so wonderful with the tropical plants. The staff is so friendly and kind. It was great. The Owner, management and staff are to be commended on what they have done to this hotel. It just keeps getting better since the new ownership took over a few years ago.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Incredible_place
DAT52, Owner at Rodeway Inn Cow Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your fine review. It is nice to have folks like you who stay with us that can see and appreciate our efforts during this long remodel process. It is our work of love and our desire is to bring it back to its once great glory for southeast Colorado. Next time you are in town, look me up. Thank you again. Doug Thrall

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stay here every chance we get. The people here are very friendly and the courtyard is awesome. They have been doing a lot of upgrades and renovation over the last year or so and the hotel looks better everytime we go. The rooms are nice and are very clean and smell good. Plus the price is very reasonable. The dining area and restaurant are very nice and clean. I would recommend this to any travellers.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Storme D
DAT52, Owner at Rodeway Inn Cow Palace, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to get a response from somebody who stayed here before we took over and knew how bad the condition of The Cow Palace was. We continue to improve and hope you continue to check up on us. Best Wishes. Doug Thrall

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We have been going to Lamar for years as we have family there. This place has gone downhill significantly over the years. We recently stayed here and realized quickly we should have run out the door at the first sign of issues! They say they are pet friendly and it appears they are. There was dog poop on the upper landing of the hotel for 2 days at least. If was there when we arrived and it was there when we left. When entering the hotel, it smelled strongly of sewage. Apparently this has happened before as we found out from family in the area.
Now our room was not bad upon arrival. The beds were comfortable and the roll-away bed we had asked for was ready in our room when we got there. The air-conditioning did not work properly so the room remained hot all night. (It blew warm air although set to the lowest temp.) We left it on all the next day & when arriving back our room smelled as if someone had smoked in it all day! My son with asthma could not even enter the room. Our eyes burned. It was truly horrible! The staff did not seem concerned at all. After waiting 45 minutes with all our belongings in the hallway, the staff finally showed us another room that had ashtrays in it, obviously a smoking room. It also smelled and their solution was air freshener....for free! The maintenance man told us there were a few other vacant rooms but they smelled like SEWAGE! We figured out from other family staying in the hotel that if you use the sir-conditioning or heating system, it blew smoke from other areas in the building into the rooms. We finally found a room that did not smell like either smoke or sewage so we stayed one more night. In addition and things we could have over looked were outlet covers that were only half there and towel ranks falling off the walls. There are two hotels across the street that you pay a little more for but it may well be worth it in the end. We will never stay here again! One more tidbit, the greenery in the main area is a nice touch but the news in Lamar is that they have had issues with mildew on the plants because they cannot keep up with the maintenance of having the quantity of plants. I believe the locals. Oh yes and the pool appeared clean so we allowed our kids to swim while we tried to find a clean room for over an hour. The food for breakfast was decent.

Room Tip: Ask to see it before getting a key card. If you are a smoker, you may find all rooms acceptable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelswith3sons

Hi, Thank you for your comments but I would like to address a couple of items. With respect to the air conditioner, our system is typically shut off in December, January, February and March as the outside temp is below freezing. Each room has its own heat and air conditioner unit and none of the duct work is connected to another room or the outside, It is not possible to pull the smell of smoke in from another room. I am sorry if you had a room next to a smoking room, but that will happen at times. The thing I would really like you to know is that no Hotelier wants their guest to have a bad experience, especially us. We have guest instructions in each room that lets the guest know of our concern for them, and encourage them to call the front desk for any reason. We are happy to move guests and have them inspect the room before they make their move. We took the Hotel over in mid 2011 and started a major remodel in late 2011 and have been improving it every since. Our goal is to bring the Cow Palace back to its high quality condition that existed before the last group owned the property and ran it into the ground. In terms of the Courtyard plants, they were in horrible condition when we bought the Hotel, and we treat them once a week for the small plant mites. We have them under control to the point that you need to be looking for them to find them, contrary to what you are hearing from the locals. We have hosted several large weddings in the Courtyard and recieved great review letters from the families. Unfortunately, I cannot post their letters on TripAdvisor. We truly want you to have a great experience with us and would encourage you to always call to front desk in any Hotel that you are having issues with so those things can be resolved immediately. Hope you have happy travels and the next time you are in Lamar, please come to see me personally. Best Wishes. Doug Thrall, Owner

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here last year, was pretty good. Please read my review Jan. 29, 2013. It pains me to write this review. First of all, when I made my reservation on the phone, I was told we could have the same room, but when we got to the hotel, they said it wasn't available. It really must make a difference what room you have. This time we were on 2nd floor interior room, #317 I think. It wasn't near as good as last years room. This room had stains on carpet, stains on walls, and stains on ceiling. Bugs in window sill. Hairs in tub. You wouldn't want to touch the light switch in the bathroom, disgusting! Had only one almost empty roll of toilet paper. Hair dryer on the wall looked something like a vacuum cleaner, old! When I plugged my curling iron in the wall plug, it was so loose, it would fall out. Sink is right out in bedroom, no privacy The person on the phone and the person at the desk at check in told me all rooms are renovated now. Don't believe them! The room did have good heat, hot water, and was well lit except for the light bulb that was burned out. The bed was comfortable, but only had 3 tiny pillows for a King size bed. The only great thing was the Atrium pool and hot tub which is amazing. The pool water was so nice and warm. We won't stay here again though because of the terrible room which makes me sad because of the awesome pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in room 317 on 2nd floor! Ask for bottom floor interior room next to pool.
Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ParkDreamer

Hi, After reading your review I had our cleaning staff walk through your room. As a result, we terminated one of the staff. Our goal is to give you the best experience you can have at our Hotel and enjoy all the fun things that the Cow Palace has to offer. You should have noticed the laminated letter on the bed in your room that asked you to call the front desk if you had any issues. We encourage our guest to call us if there is a problem as we can either change rooms or resolve any of your issues. I, as an owner, want to know of any problems immediately, because if there is a problem with a room, I can find out right then and there who is responsible and take the appropiate action. I think we have done a great job with our remodel and that is an ongoing project, but I need your help while you are on site to help me take care of the little issues light lights, TP, pillows and unclean rooms. Please feel free to call me directly on my cell phone to discuss any issues you might have at 801-842-4000. Great travels. Doug Thrall