All reviewsoutdoor poolin townaffordable roomtwo queen bedsnothing fancystay there againmotelkitchenettepetretrocoloradolinenscerealac
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was our second visit to the Blue Spruce and the updating to this old-fashioned motel is appreciated. The well-kept rooms are far enough back from the highway to be quiet. The beds are comfy. There's plenty of hot water and water pressure is fine. We travel with two dogs and there are lots of areas for them to stretch their legs. It's no four-star hotel but just fine for an overnight stop.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed in a large family room. It's not always easy to find a family room for a couple with 3 kids, but this fitted the bill perfectly. Very comfortable. Nice bathroom. Friendly owner (from England, like us!) Breakfast was good. All in all, a good experience.

Room Tip: I recommend the family room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had a few problems the first week I was here, the owner arived and solved all the problems and moved me to a new room, that works great for me. They have great rates for extended stay and they have a play ground to keep the kids entertained. They are pet friendly and the parking is GREAT!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Last year I gave this place a good review. A recent stay there has changed my mind about it, unfortunately:

The Lead-Up
Driving between Texas and Colorado. Stayed here before and thought it was good so I decided to stop again.

The Particulars
The older couple that seemed to manage the place when I was there the first time are nowhere to be found (i.e., I didn't see them), suggesting a change in management.

I requested a nonsmoking room and was given a room that reeked from prior years of smoking. The toilet took three flushes to, uh, do its job. The knob on the fan/AC/heater which set the temperature range between hot and cold just kept turning (you couldn't set it adequately from one end of another). I moved rooms. The second room smelled some, too, and had a giant, wadded-up strand of long hair dried on the side of the tub (the cleaners forgot their glasses that day?). The stopper in the sink wouldn't come back up once you pushed it down, so the sink filled up with yucky water when I brushed my teeth and washed my face for bed (it eventually drained, slowly). One of the wooden bedposts was wobbly and probably would have fallen off if I hadn't caught it.

Outside my room, across from the parking spaces for the rooms, was an outdoor shed-like area and trash bins. In this area two riding lawn-mowers, one with a conspicuous flat-tire, were "parked" and a 90s-era big-screen TV was sitting there, just out in the open. It looked really trashy.

The grounds were well-kept (mowed/trimmed) and the staff I interacted with were pleasant-enough. Unfortunately, this doesn't make up for things that really don't take much to improve upon.

Bottom Line
For almost $70/night, I doubt I will stay here again. I can live with outdated furnishings and decor, but I can't live with a noticeable slip in quality.

Room Tip: Ask for one where the toilet works adequately, the sink stopper doesn't get stuck, the nonsmoking room doesn't reek of accumulated years of smoke, the cleaning staff is alert enough not to leave giant dried hairs in the tub, and the management has enough respect for the place to remove all the crap sitting around outside in the trash area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank coguy5280
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It is an old hotel. I stayed here for an extended stay and found no problems. It's very basic, but is right next to restaurants and shopping. The bathrooms are tiled in the 1950's style and the tubs are not very deep, if you like to take tub baths this may put you off. There is a playground area out front and it looked like a pool in the summer.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business