“Interesting stop in the middle of nowheresville, Colorado”
Review of Big Timbers Museum

Big Timbers Museum
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Lamar
Naples, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Interesting stop in the middle of nowheresville, Colorado”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was visiting a friend who landed in Lamar, Colorado for work. There's an Amtrak stop in Lamar so I made it a point to stop and visit him. The town is smallish, and it was my first visit to anything in Colorado. The fact that they have and support a local museum is fabulous, and I stopped in one day to be delightfully greeted by a curator who informed me that I was her one visitor for the day. She said they average maybe 1 per day during the winter. She was very talkative and very informative about the museum's contents. She spoke enthusiastically and knowledgably about the local history: the good, the bad and the ugly - all with the requisite neutrality of a researcher and the big pulsing heart of a true believer. I have no doubt she was a volunteer, as most of the museums contents were fairly recently acquired and it's not like they have some huge endowment to draw from. I any case, I absolutely loved walking among the artifacts ... some as simple as an ashtray to photographic evidence of jackrabbit and buffalo slaughters, not to mention the existence of trees on a now barren landscape terra formed for the cattle industry. You can SMELL the cattle around the museum. They had wedding dresses, uniforms, and quite a lot of stuff on a local bank robbery where two people were killed and it was the first time the FBI used fingerprints to nail the suspect. I'm a professional psychic reader, so it was great listening to her narrative while I was in my own realm reading all the stuff around me. I get stuff around the people that handled these objects, and together it wove a fascinating day. They have an interesting collection of buggies and wagons in a separate building that I was actually too exhausted to spend much time with, but is really worth the visit. Museums like this are priceless and should be taken advantage of. There is always something in a museum that will capture your imagination or trigger a remembrance or feeling. This is the stuff of life, and Big Timbers is loaded with it. A must-see in Lamar.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank rephello1

Colorado
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Local history”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We had a fun respite from the heat as we visited Big Timbers. Things that stood out to me were the photos of an old professional ice skater and the tales of an old bank robbery. They also have a new building filled with some really cool vehicles and wagons. Friendly staff and family rates. The best part may have been the War poster collection. Amazing and touching.

Visited June 2011