“Not real Mexican food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

While visiting Denver and staying in Lakewood off Union Street we noticed Jose Oshea's so we decided to try it. There were a lot of people waiting for tables which is usually a good thing. I had the chili rellenos and my wife had the pork carnitas. Her carnitas were very dry. As for my two chili rellenos it appeared that they cut one chili in half to create two rellenos because it was mostly egg batter which I left behind and showed the waiter. Having lived in Los Angeles for over 50 years I know a Mexican restaurant will not survive there if they serve poor quality food. I think Jose Oshea's survived the 30 plus years here because their clientele is mostly Gringos.

1  Thank ray c

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate here fairly late one evening on a Saturday night. This restaurant has a really fun atmosphere. We are all unfortunately gluten-free and they had a guide on how to pick gluten free from their menu, it was really well done with which sauces were and weren't, items to avoid because they were iffy and whatnot. We all ordered different meals, tried each others and loved them all. I had a peach margarita and the skinny chicken and yummy!! my sister had the blue corn taquitos and my mom had a chicken taquito thing. All of it was really good, and they brought out fresh hot chips. We had 3 margaritas and 3 meals on our tab and it was $50, pretty good deal for the quality of food. We were all super hungry so we didn't purchase 2 meals and share like we normally do, but we could have because the servings are nice sized, not enormous but definitly not skimpy.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had superior service and food. Portions are huge!! The atmosphere is a delight. We had a party of 8 and were seated in no time at all.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

In the Denver area visiting family. Four adults in our party on a Monday evening. We didn't expect much noise and selected the outside upper patio. Bad idea. The place was hopping. There was some kind of game being played over the loudspeaker, kids running rampant and people trying to talk over the PA system. We moved to another outside area that was quieter so we could talk without yelling. The food and drinks came out quickly and was almost as quickly consumed. I had the No. 8 Combination plate. No complaints there. Salsa was a little too spicy for me though I usually like it hot. Hubby loved it. To each his own. Bottom line? Yeah, I'd eat there again, though I'd ask for a quiet area to begin with.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Atmosphere was great, food delicious, a lot of nooks for quiet dinner, or places for socializing. Staff was helpful and friendly. Wished I would have made it for happy hour. Birthdays are celebrated with a cake and a guy was there making balloon characters for the kids.