“Still Lakewood's Best” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 240 Union

240 Union
Ranked #2 of 388 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boulder, Colorado
“Still Lakewood's Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was just reflecting on how lucky I am to be able to dine out in such nice places. This is the third time in the last couple of months where I went to an excellent restaurant and was served by a professional middle aged waiter who knew the food, the drinks, the timing of being there when appropriate and leaving us to talk when we wanted. This was lunch with two old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Water and drink orders first during about 10 - 15 minutes of catching up and doing a little business the bread was slipped quietly into place. At the appropriate moment the waiter was there to take our order and discuss the options. I had a cup of corn chowder as I usually do whenever it is available, I love to make it myself and am always trying others. This was followed by the chicken enchiladas, the special that day. My friends had salad and salmon pasta. I don't often spend $25 for lunch whenI'm not on vacation, but every now and then it is worth it. The portions were just right to be filling but not fattening.

• Visited November 2013

Golden, Colorado
“Sadly on a steep decline”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

The food here has usually been ok. But last night we ordered the chicken fried lobster tail. Sounded unique, but my first bite came with a flood of ammonia flavor. We were served a spoiled lobster. The next one was fine, but the whole dinner was ruined...try getting the taste of rotten lobster out of your pallet with just water. The server did not even check in with us after a fresh lobster came out and the place didn't do anything to the check - no comp at all...not even an offer of free dessert.....not even an apology. Not at all consistent with the type of restaurant they used to be. If the chef couldn't tell they cooked up spoiled lobster tail, that calls the whole kitchen in doubt for me. That was my last visit.

Visited November 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
“Still Worth It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Been to 240 Union many, many times over the years for both lunch and dinner. The place is a little too noisy for comfortable, intimate conversation at dinner time, but last week they proved to me again that the atmosphere notwithstanding, this restaurant is excellent. Great service, attentive but not intrusive. I had the beet salad and scallops for my entrée. Having just come from New England, where scallops are still dripping with sea water, I was very pleased with the portion size and the perfection in cooking them and the flavor. Two people at the table had striped bass (the whole fish) and another friend had the deep fried cod. All of these fish entrees were cooked to perfection, and the waiter was very good about getting all the fish parts from the whole fish entrees off the table from time to time. Only one guest, who had the rack of lamb, was a little disappointed -- -- the rib bones were quite large, compared to what we are used to, so the meat was not as flavorful or tender as it could have been. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is the best in Lakewood for fine dining.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TN
“240 Union Restaurant near my Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Lucked into this gem of a restaurant. Superior Italian Food and Service. Step above most restaurants. Surroundings pleasant and very clean. Food Hot, Drinks cold. Linen table cloths and napkins. Great Homemade Bread. Staff friendly, courteous, and prompt.

Visited September 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Must be on the decline, was surprised at mediocrity after all the reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

So after reading so many good reviews I had high expectations. Went with my wife for dinner and was thoroughly unimpressed to be honest. The decor is great, it looks like you are about to have a fabulous experience, but you probably aren't. The recommended wine was not good, nor was there much better on the wine list, again a surprisingly lame list especially at the prices. We had the seafood stew and a shrimp pasta, both were really run-of-the-mill and very small portions to boot. The best thing about the meal was the rosemary garlic bread they bring out, that was delicious but everything else was really disappointing.

Service was good, the host was snooty but our waiter was a very nice guy and did his best with what he has to work with. We both knew the food and wine were sub-par. Overall, there are MUCH better places in the immediate vicinity and I will be surprised if we go back, the menu was just not that great and again, the wine list was terrible.

• Visited October 2013