“It's not about the food, it's about the memories”
Review of Casa Bonita

Casa Bonita
Ranked #219 of 393 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Visiting Denver to see my husband's family and he took me to Casa Bonita to revisit a childhood memory. The food was tasteless but the beer was cold. The fried dough and "fried ice cream" were the best parts. But, it isn't about the food. It's about watching the teenagers act out the same skits my husband watched 40 years ago. It was cheesy and silly but I'm so glad I got to see it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I got to come to Casa Bonita as a child and so did my husband. Today we brought our daughter. The place is exactly the same. Gaudy and busy and terrible food but so awesome. The deluxe dinner is like a family size Banquet frozen mexican platter. But it is a one of a kind experience. The kids love it. It is a great memory I have as a child and now my daughter will have as well. Friendly staff. Cliff divers and pirates. Mariachi bands. A scary cave. Puppet shows. What more can you want? Lol.

1  Thank wendysuzette
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Casa Bonita is great but the mexican food was nothing of the sort, being a man from new mexico and knowing real mexican food and what was served at casa bonita id say it was straight from the can,but it was a great time other wise!

drink the margaritas they are a life saver!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Since I was a child, I can remember our family trips from Kansas to Denver, CO, always included a meal at Casa Bonita. I saw it as a magical place -- fully of wonder. As an adult, I realize now that it is a good one-off place for Denver, in that this is a restaurant to take visitors/guests, but not a place where you will likely become a regular.
The atmosphere is incredible. I believe this is the largest restaurants (as far as space) in North America. It features a 15 foot (or so) dive pool, shows, arcade games, wandering minstrels, etc. It is definitely a place to go with children, and for the child in you.
My friend and I visited here on a Friday night. We waited for about 30 minutes in line, which went by pretty fast since we had started a conversation with the people behind us. After getting our meals (Chicken Deluxe Dinner and Beef Deluxe Dinner, respectively), we were sat on the west side of the restaurant. Our server, Geoff, was very attune to our needs and provided us great service.
This place offers all-you-can-eat meals, basically. This usually means that the quality of the meal is not superb, which is, in my opinion, the case here. The food was tasty and delicious, however. I did know that I would regret coming here later (or, rather, my stomach would regret coming here).
Overall, though, I rate this place high. The prices are decent for the atmosphere. The service (including our server, Geoff) is excellent. And, the atmosphere brings out the child in you.

1  Thank Darin J
Reviewed April 3, 2014

It's been several years since I have been here, I am "okay" with it being about the "atmosphere" not the food ...everyone who seems fine to over pay for very ,very ,VERY bad food- okay I get it, IT'S FUN! ....... .I am not sure why anyone would be so proud about paying for & eating the food.
but............More power to ya'.

BUT- that being said, I took my Grandkids here for a fun lunch today April 3rd, Thursday 2014 - walking thru the cattle chain all seemed "Casa Bonita acceptable" the normal layer of greasy dust on nearly everything. The window where we are suppose to watch the workers happily make our meals is a surreal window into the belly of the beast.." Are they laughing at me?" is the only sensible walk away from that experience .Followed by dirty cracked food trays, slimy tray pathways, drab over used cloth napkins covering almost clean flatware. It's the way it is there & it's FUN! Right?

Well no- not this time! We rounded the corner to find a half full eatery , asked to sit close enough to see the divers - but taken up to the upper desks with nothing to see but the tops of the lighted palm trees. Okay- that's fine - we can eat and then walk around later. Well eat is not really what anyone does there & we didn't. ( Tip - if you bring the Family Coupon widely found on line make sure they apply it to your bill & not just the $4 off each adult plate - catching that saved me $17.00)

After a few passes of our forks, we ventured out into the maze of Casa Bonita...bored stall girls with their heads down texting,eye rolling waiters running with trays of drinks or chips, helicopter parents & latch key kids intermix with splendor- here's my tip - go to the lower arcade - not the smell of children's dirty underwear & sweat, overly crowded & hot main arcade.

The divers are always great to watch, the young man in today's show was very sweet & high fived all the kids surrounding the pool. That was very nice! As for The Gorilla suit...it looks filthy- seriously is it cleaned? The Hawaiian cotton shorts over the suit is a light color, thread bare & SO dirty I was reluctant to let the Grandkids stand by him for pictures. It was gross.

The entire place smelled of stale water and mold. I found out why as we walked around and found bucket after bucket collecting water dripping from the ceiling. Dirty brown/yellow water buckets were everywhere. Surrounding the childrens ride on's , on back steps, and in halls.

So to make a very long story short...YES- I will pay for atmosphere when it doesn't make my skin crawl as much as the food.

4  Thank justddz