“Great Entertainment...Terrible Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I took our friends to Casa Bonita for dinner last month. I had heard so much about this establishment and was excited to see it and experience it for myself. Our friends were visiting from the east coast and had their two young boys with them (ages 5 and 8). We arrived early and only had to wait for about 20 minutes. Later in the evening we noted that the wait time was well over an hour. Dining at Casa Bonita is an interesting experience. Each person must order an entree which costs around $15/person. As vegetarians, we found the menu very limited. I hope that people don't choose to visit Casa Bonita for the food...it is really terrible. I don't know how a restaurant can get away with charging so much for such awful food, but they manage. After ordering an entree, you are seated at a table in one of the many dining areas. I would suggest asking for a table near the waterfall. The inside of Casa Bonita is difficult to describe. It reminded me of an odd mix between The Rainforest Cafe and a cruise ship. There are no windows inside the restaurant. It is a maze indoors...various dining areas, an indoor waterfall, arcades, cheesy gift shops, and caves. Chips, queso, and salsa is included with each order. The queso was the most edible part of our meal. The waitstaff is attentive and friendly. On each table is a placard with the schedule of entertainment. The entertainment staff puts on pirate fights, cliff diving, and other performances centered around the indoor waterfall. The place is filled with kids running around. It was a great place to let the kids run around and expend some energy. One tip...make sure that one person in your party is at your table at all times. Once the table is empty the staff will assume that you have left and seat the next party. All in all...I was happy that I finally experienced Casa Bonita, but I don't feel the desire to ever return.

1  Thank summerchill13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Casa Bonita is wonderful for familys. Food is good and service is good. Always fun to visit and much to see and do for the children of all ages.

1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I drove all the way from Fort Collins to visit this place and it was a horrible disappointment. On the outside you see this very pretty building, but one you walk in you are in for a dilapidated place that needs a huge overhaul and a food upgrade. I found the staff to be kind and after some school cafeteria grade enchiladas, we had some great sopapillas with honey. The interior of the building looked like at one point it had been really cool. There are lots of cool seating options in caves and near a waterfall. However, at this point it just seems run down. The big hype about Casa Bonita is that there are “cliff divers”. Are you kidding me? The “entertainment” was a total embarrassment with teenagers occasionally jumping in a small pool and putting on short skits that nobody wanted to watch. NOT IMPRESSED. It was all obnoxious and I am very tolerant and easy going, The arcade was only a few games and a row of about 10 skeeball machines from maybe the 80s...or older. As we were leaving, my boyfriend said he wishes he could buy this place and remodel it into something really cool. The actual space have potential, but it need a big overhaul. Sorry if this seems harsh but is was just lacking.

1  Thank cojulieg
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We visited here on the advice of an employee of another local attraction. The atmosphere, food, and everything was awful! First, besides being too salty, the food was flavorless. It tasted as if it was all processed food taken from a can or freezer and placed on to a plate. Second, after the second dive show I thought I was trapped in the movie Ground Hog Day! Third, the activities in the place are for children, not adults. Save your and money. If you are seeking food, Taco Bell is a cheaper and more flavorful option. If you are seeking entertainment, pick any park bench and people watch for more excitement and less money! This is definitely a do not bother to visit while in Denver!

1  Thank TravelerMiamiX
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I went to Casa Bonita on the Monday after Thanksgiving for lunch, and the place was nearly empty, which meant that we basically had our choice from the 1000 seats available (literally). This place is cavernous! I felt like I was at Epcot Center in the Mexico World Showcase. The atmosphere is unbeatable, with an indoor waterfall, cliff divers every 15-30 minutes or so, puppet shows, goofy entertainment, musicians, etc. There are themed areas throughout the restaurant where you can sit in a "cave," "mine," patio, dinner theater, and more. The best place to sit, though, is near the waterfall so you can view the cliff diving. The best thing about Casa Bonita is the atmosphere and the experience. As one of my friends said, "Casa Bonita is what happened when Disney had an affair with Tijuana and left its poor love child at a strip mall in Lakewood." It is a very odd location, and the building seems out of place, but it is a must see.

The food is the sad part of the equation. My husband ordered the beef enchilada plate, and I ordered the sour cream chicken enchilada dinner. Definitely order the chicken. The beef, was indeed, funky tasting, but the chicken was decent. Yes, the tortilla chips seemed like they were heated up from large pre-made batches and the salsa was oddly more like tomato sauce than chunky, typical restaurant style salsa. The sopapillas were good and warm and served with honey. Definitely come with the understanding that this is more of a cafeteria-style place that has the capacity to serve hundreds upon hundreds at a time. Your food is most likely cooked in huge vats and stirred with shovels. However, it is an experience that should not be missed, despite the disappointing food issues.

Been to Casa Bonita? Share your experiences!