“food bad”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed May 5, 2013

the food is not so good. the experience yes. the only good food is soppapias and fried ice cream. i had a good time during the acts and arcade but not the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We met some friends here for dinner and had a fun time in spite of forgettable food. Some of us had been here as little kids, but none as adults. We had three small children with us, and they were intrigued by the non-stop shows. It was super noisy (waterfall, gunshots, sound system, etc.), so there were no worries about our kids bothering anyone...I'm pretty sure nobody could hear them but us! The little vignettes were kind of amusing, borderline annoying. Someone always ended up going into the water, regardless of whether the costume was water-worthy. Trying to hold a conversation was definitely rough. I left with a sore throat from yelling to be heard above the noise.

The food was mediocre, and the ordering process was confusing to us. I suspect they assume that everyone has been here before and so knows the routine. We figured it out. Each table has a little flagpole, and if you need something you just hoist your flag. Each time we did so, our server quickly stopped by to see what we needed. She was cheerful and very responsive to our requests.

When asked the next day to describe the experience, my thought was Disneyland mixed up with Las Vegas, Chuckie Cheese's, Nickel Arcade, and cheap Mexican food. Fun to experience at least once in a lifetime; probably not a place we'd go back to until the kids are big enough to better appreciate the entertainment and decor that is clearly targeting a young audience.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Took the kids here despite all of the hoopla about the bad food. The food wasn't bad, just wasn't great. It was pretty much like eating a tv dinner, however, the margaritas are decent and the sopapillas make up for the sub-par food. Don't expect actual Alcapulcan divers, these are definitely white college boys with part time jobs and girls striving to be theater majors. The kids had a great time, enjoyed the arcade, got their caricatures drawn, and loved watching the shows, so in the end, it was worth it.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Upfront I must include a disclaimer because I am writing this review from the perspective of someone who knows what good Mexican food really is. I was on vacation when one of my friends from back east really was excited to go to this restaurant because he recalled the great stage show theatrics that accompany your meal at this particular venue. As a rule I never eat Mexican food outside of New Mexico because I know I will be sorely disappointed. This was indeed the case at this restaurant but it wasn't for the food so much is it was for the service and how business was conducted.

Upon arrival I had already decided that I was going to have a couple of margaritas instead of eat for the aforementioned reason. Well the folks at the front didn't want to allow me into the restaurant unless I ordered food. Either I would have to order food or I would be charged admission. This is absolutely ludicrous because generally speaking drinking margaritas is more costly than what I would pay for a subpar meal. Lucky for one of my friends he started flirting with one of the girls at the register because although he also did not order food he did not get any flack.Tremendously unprofessional of the staff to say the least. I wound up piggybacking on one of my other friend's meals and finally got into the restaurant after much hassle. I did not eat anything as the meals that I saw my friends eating were abominations. I did however try a sopapilla which was good but even this moment of shining glory was dampened by the honey on the table which was so old it was essentially crystallized.

This restaurant is good if you're looking for a show as the entertainment really was nice and the way the restaurant was decorated made you feel like you were in an old Spanish village. However because of the lackluster food and mindless administration of the restaurant I would really consider going to a small shack on the side of the road selling carnitas instead of paying so much money for what basically amounts to entertainment. If you're a fan of Tex-Mex, this place should do you just fine. If you're looking for an authentic experience, please save yourself the trouble and go elsewhere.

3  Thank Loco_Norteno_30
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Awful food and expensive. Very touristy. Divers are interesting. Kids like this place. Don't go for the food. It is entertaining.

1  Thank Lisagdm