“Really Nice Meal - Love the Menu”
Review of Elephant Bar - CLOSED

Elephant Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Johnstown, Colorado
“Really Nice Meal - Love the Menu”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wife, mother in law and I stopped by the Belmar Elephant Bar this past Saturday night. We arrived at 630 to an expected wait. We were told 45 minutes but agreed to sit in the outdoor seating which shortened the time to 30 minutes. It was Homecoming for a local high school accounting for the extra wait. It was a nice fall evening and when it got dark the staff turned on the patios heaters which took off a slight chill. Normally I am not that big on outdoor seating but this seemed especially nice and we weren’t in a particular hurry to leave at the end of the meal. The service seemed a little off at the start, but not so bad as to effect my review. A server, clearly a little frazzled or new, approached and asked about a drink order. He left while we looked at the large and interesting menu. The server came back about 5 minutes later and asked if we had any questions about the menu. I asked about our beverages and he said he would go check on them. He returned again about 5 minutes later and said that the bar had run out of clean beer glasses and some were being washed. A few moments later another server came to the table, introduced herself and asked to take our drink order. I was glad she wasn’t our actual server because we had been there more than 10 minutes by that point and I would have been a little miffed at being ignored. I guess two servers is always better than one. From that point on things started to click a whole lot better. I have always liked the menu at the Elephant Bar, and consider any dining experience a success when I can’t decide between a ½ dozen or so entrees. I had the Kona Barbecue Combo, the wife had a sirloin and jumbo prawn stir fry, and the MIL had the fried chicken tenders with a side of the best looking macaroni and cheese I have ever seen. We had an appetizer of the Vietnamese shrimp spring rolls. I would have to say that everything was first rate. My wife raved about the sirloin in the stir fry saying it was perfectly cooked and flavorful. No problems about returning to this establishment in the future; there are still a bunch of things I want to try on the menu.

• Visited September 2012

Iowa City, Iowa
“Needed earplugs!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was there with friends that I hadn't seen in a decade, and we had just a few hours to reconnect. The food was good--my honey shrimp quite tasty. The vegetarian in the group found something she could eat, though there wasn't a large selection for her. Service fine but unexceptional. Prices average for this type of restaurant. On a weeknight, the noise level verged on the painful. It was extremely difficult to converse, which was disappointing. Aside from that, I'd say it was worth a review of "very good."

• Visited September 2012
Lakewood, Colorado
“The Elephant Bar is by far the best restaurant at Belmar”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Elephant Bar is the best restaurant at Belmar in Lakewood, Colorado. The menu has so much variety that everyone in the family will find something delightful and delicious. My personal favorite is the soup combo with their signature Macau Shrimp Noodle soup paired with the most excellent salmon roll I have eaten anywhere. The salmon role is similar to sushi, however, all of the ingredients are cooked and the entire thing is prepared tempura style - perfection! Other favorites of family and friends are: Honey-mustard BBQ Salmon, Terriaki Chicken and Orange Chicken, Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich, Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger, Sweet Potato Fries, Garlic Cheese Bread, French Onion Soup…and the list just goes on. We have never tried anything that was not liked. The Kid’s menu has just as much variety and a drink and a dessert is included. There is a wide variety of fun non-alcoholic drinks and teas - plus, if you are in the mood for a cocktail, the Olu Passion Mai Tai tastes fantastic and is a great value. The happy hour in the bar offers both food and drink specials and runs Monday thru Friday from 3-7pm and every night from 9pm to closing.

I have eaten here for both lunch and dinner numerous times with friends and family. The hostess staff and servers have always been fairly attentive and knowledgeable. They do accept call-ahead seating. The restaurant is large so even without calling ahead the wait has only been 15-20 minutes even at busy times.

The Elephant Bar is located at 7111 W. Alaska Drive towards the East end of Belmar in Lakewood, CO. Plenty of free parking is available directly behind the restaurant in a large lot. There are also free parking garages at Belmar within easy walking distance of the restaurant. Service begins at 11am daily.

• Visited August 2012
Windsor
“Lunch Delight”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Went for lunch with an old friend and my 11 yo son. Was amazed by the interior and the vast selection of the menu. Settled on an old favourite of French Dip and was very pleasantly surprised. the bread was gorgeous and the dip was yummy. My son has the child's portion of ribs which was huge considering the price and he loved it. I'd like to go back and try something a bit more adventurous. The waitress did seem to loose interest in our table towards the end as it the a late lunch but we survived.

• Visited June 2012
Gloucester City, New Jersey
“All Show, No Substance”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Great atmosphere, a really beautiful place. The wait staff are always friendly and cheerfull. The menu is kind of a dissappointment. No real theme to it, just a collection of items. The food is just average. In the end, it's really all show and no substance.

• Visited March 2012