“Twice in one week!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The French Press
Ranked #1 of 15 Coffee & Tea in Lakewood
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Katy, Texas
“Twice in one week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

We've landed in Golden, CO on our tour of the USA, and yet again had to rely on TripAdvisor and reviews to help us out with eateries and attractions.

And again they didn't disappoint!

The French Press is a great little cafe. We had brunch the first time we visited, and I ordered the "Bennies", and my husband had the corned beef hash. Mine was good, but would have been excellent if a bit warmer. My husband's the same. The coffee however, was excellent.

We braved the snow (it's snowing hard here today and settling - forecast 10" by the end of the day!) to go again for brunch today. It's Sunday, and Mother's Day to boot, so we arrived to a packed cafe. 40 minutes we were told, and my husband wanted to leave. I managed to persuade him to stay as as good as some Denny's are, this place knocks them out of the park in comparison.

So we waited, and not long after a table became free. We'd already ordered our food (and mentioned about it being just 'warm' the previous time), and less than 30 minutes later it arrived piping hot.

A previous reviewer stated the girls weren't that great, but we couldn't disagree more. The 3 we spoke to were friendly, fast and very efficient.

Will definitely go again while we're in town before moving on.

Thanks guys! Great cafe you have there!

“Just not even trying anymore”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

This place is a nice little cafe, and usually has good food. Today, for some reason, everything went wrong, and most of all the staff just didn't care. They were out of lox, and my friend really wanted the lox bennies. Ok, we can live with that. We both ordered breakfast. For some reason, our food didn't come, and didn't come, and didn't come. All of the people that came after us had been served. I went up and asked about what happened to our order, and I was told, "Oh, some orders got put before yours." No apology. Nobody cares. OK. When she finally did bring our food, it was a total dump and run. Again, no apologies, and no asking if they could make it up to us. Their wi-fi can't find an IP address. Maybe the girls should tell somebody to reset the router, which wouldn't have been an issue had we not had to wait over 45 minutes for breakfast. The table next to us didn't fare any better. They brought her sandwich, and 20 minutes later, when she was almost done with her meal, they brought his sandwich. Again, no explanation, no apologies. Seems like they are just a little too apathetic about things in general. How long before the food quality begins to suffer, I wonder.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
orlando, FL
“Very nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

When you walk in you think that this is just an average coffee shop. After you glance at the breakfast and lunch boards, you see that you were incredibly wrong. The coffee was very good and VERY reasonably priced. The 1st morning we ordered the corned beef hash and the pistachio & zucchini pancakes. It was so good that we went back on our last day in town so we tried the crab cake bennies and sterling's sweet biscuits. Again, awesome

1 Thank Echraide
Aurora, Colorado, United States
“What a delightful surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I was stunned by how fabulous this tiny Aurora spot is - best coffee I've had in a long time, and wonderful cuisine - I loved the tomato soup, worthy of a gourmet dinner. Really incongruous for the neighborhood - is this really Aurora?

Visited December 2013
Byron Bay, Australia
“Best coffee in the USA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Consistently good coffee. I am from Australia and usually find it impossible to get good coffee in USA, but this cafe delivers the goods.

Food is great too with a good range of freshly prepared meals available for breakfast or lunch (I have not been there for dinner). Staff are always happy and friendly. This place is usually my first stop when I get to Lakewood.

• Visited December 2013