“excellent coffee, good food”
Review of The French Press

The French Press
Ranked #19 of 393 Restaurants in Lakewood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a cute little coffee shop, nice atmosphere…The coffee is really good. The breakfast was good, and as I looked around the lunches looked fabulous. Nice salads and sandwiches. want to go back and try lunch..

Reviewed September 25, 2013

As you might have already guessed, The French Press is mostly a coffee shop, but it's also a decent little cafe with breakfast, brunch, and lunch options. Eggs and crepes weren't really on my radar today, but luckily there were plenty of sandwiches and paninis to choose from.

The barbecue lover in me refused to pass up their Pulled Pork Sandwich: pulled pork carnitas, coleslaw, and barbecue sauce on a brioche bun. The menu description suggested that the sandwich came topped with coleslaw, but I got confused when the server offered coleslaw as a potential side dish selection as well. None of the other side options seemed to match the barbecue sandwich, so I ordered coleslaw against my better judgment.

As I feared, the sandwich did in fact come topped with coleslaw, making my side dish selection extra useless. I should have ordered french fries instead. Oh well, live and learn.

I cast aside the side dish and dug into the Pulled Pork Sandwich. My meat seemed more chopped than pulled. The pork was much sweeter than I expected, perhaps from the added barbecue sauce. The pork was also fairly tender, but it didn't have just a ton of flavor on its own, making the sauce an absolute necessity. I couldn't pinpoint any smoke, but sometimes that's just an unfortunate result of serving barbecue in sandwich form. On the other hand, "carnitas" are usually braised or roasted, so perhaps there was just no smoke to be had. The coleslaw added no flavor (not that I expected it to), but I did enjoy the added crunchiness. I also thoroughly enjoyed the brioche bun.

I think the Pulled Pork works better in the general sandwich category than as barbecue, but it was a decent attempt nonetheless. The French Press was definitely a good choice for a lunch outing, you just have to go in with realistic expectations, especially if you're craving smoked meat.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a very small coffee shop in a strip mall. You may have to wait, but it is worth it.

They serve all the usual coffee and tea drinks, but also have a full and very unique breakfast menu like Chorizo Eggs Benedict, Zucchini Pancakes, and a host of other interesting items.

There were 5 of us there and everyone was extremely happy with their food and drinks.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hotel clerk recommended this location. Not far from my hotel. Could tell as we walked in that this was a great place. Order the All American and some coffee. The food was outstanding and the cafe was bustling with activity. Glad we chose this location. If in the area, you should do. If breakfast was this good, I bet lunch is too.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a local breakfast/lnch place that has unique but not weird food items. Prices are very reasonable. Tuck into a strip mall shopping center it is easy to miss but worth the effort to get there.

The pistachio zucchini pancakes were great but I loved the Chipotle Bisquits with the Chorizo Gravy..spicy but not over the top!