“Currently under renovations, but location and staff fantastic!”

Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Lakewood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
“Currently under renovations, but location and staff fantastic!”
Reviewed November 10, 2006

My seventy-three year old mother and I stayed at eight different hotels in fifteen nights, and almost all of them were fantastic (thanks in part to reading reviews from fellow travelers at TripAdvisor).

We stayed for four nights at the Holiday Inn Denver-Lakewood, starting on Tuesday, August 1st, 2006. In our reservations we had asked for a nice quiet room on the top floor, and that is what we received. We had Room 652 at the end of the hall on the top floor, which was nice. We had a medium sized room, and the first thing I noticed was the headboards for both of the beds were missing. This was no doubt part of the renovations we were told about when we arrived. The room also included a clock radio, a table with two "comfy" chairs, a bed ottoman, and a large television in a dusty cabinet with a remote. We found the selection of television stations to be quite limited for such a large city, with only a meager twenty channels to choose from. We also found the drapes did not close properly, and I had to use a safety pin to keep it closed at night. The room also had poor lighting, making it difficult to read the newspaper after dark.

The bathroom was also medium sized and had a night light, which we both liked. My mother also liked the fact that there was a handlebar in the shower so she could hold on to. The bathroom also had a sink, three sets of towels, a hairdryer in a bag behind the door, a bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and mouthwash, but no bathroom fan and the toilet was very noisy.

The staff was very friendly and helped us out quite a bit. When my mother needed a shower cap, I asked the man at the front desk, and he was happy to give me one. When I also asked for some extra drinking glasses, housekeeping arrived quickly. We also received two free beverage coupons and two free continental breakfast coupons per night during our stay.

The room key I was given was placed in a special sleeve that contained both a map of metropolitan Denver and the Downtown area. I thought this was fantastic and I put it to good use driving to the Zoo and downtown. Upon checkout, I asked if I could keep the map and was told I could!

We also liked the fact that the hotel was located across the street from a bank and two restaurants (Denny's and Old Chicago). This was perfect for exchanging our money, as well as for morning breakfast and evening dinner.

The hotel had an outdoor pool, which we could see from the window in our room. The lobby had a restaurant as well as a gift shop, a sitting area, and two elevators.

After taxes, the American Automobile Association room rate came to $82.94 U.S. Funds for each of the four nights we stayed. We ranked the Holiday Inn Denver-Lakewood around the middle, but we will be staying there again in September 2007 simply because of the great staff and the location. Hopefully the renovations will be complete and we look forward to seeing the new and improved hotel!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank macmaroon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
yuma
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Hotel is beautiful. Staff is knowledgable of area and gives good directions.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank xxdjmantis
Reviewed January 17, 2006

Stayed here last week, and really enjoyed myself. The free breakfast was nice (didn't expect that at a full-service Holiday Inn) and the rooms were big. I had plenty of room in the bathroom, and that's a big plus. Hotel is a bit worn, but a few people in the bar were talking about a change in ownership, and the changes that will bring. Food was good, and room was clean. Bed was nice, so overall I'll be back when my travels take me into Lakewood again.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank jasper87
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 13, 2004

The price is right, The room is nice, spacious, quiet, clean. The bed is very comfortable. Bring your own pillow because the pillows are very firm foam.

The free breakfast is really boring. Two years ago they used to offer a nice selection, but now the hot buffet offers scrambled eggs, potatoes, and cream of wheat. Any meat is extra. The food was tasteless. They also offer fruit, breads, cereal, and juice.

The staff is friendly, promptly help. Free shuttle service to places you want to go.

Wish they offered free high speed Internet in the room. I would switch hotels for free high speed service.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
2 Thank CtheUSA
New Mexico
Reviewed July 21, 2003

We paid about $50.00 a night for 2 adults and l child and this included breakfast!!! We had 2 double beds and a very nice swim pool and hot tub. Altho it was a bit of a drive to downtown Denver, the hotel was comfortable, clean, staff was friendly and very cost effective. We''ll probably stay at the same hotel next time we visit Denver!

4 Thank vgrantatmetro