Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood
$129
$119
$149
Sheraton.com
Best Western Denver Southwest(Lakewood)(Great Value!)
$125
$85
Hotels.com
$170
Hotels.com
All reviewsattached restaurantexecutive floorroom servicevending machineold chicagofree breakfastnice hotelhotel shuttlered rocksbusiness hoteltop floorbed was very comfortablestayed here for one nightnight's sleepwalk in showerrooms are cleanup to date
Reviewed December 31, 2007

This is a good place to stay if you are in town for business. The hotel is clean, and the front desk was helpful. The rooms were a decent size, and there was a nice desk/table area to work. There is a small but clean exercise area available, and wireless internet. Not close to major attractions, but there are a few decent restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2007

This hotel was perfect for the couple of days we needed while attending a wedding. Rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. It was close to lots of restaurants and the staff was very pleasant. Pool was nice but they should limit all the floats and rafts that were being used by swimmers. They took up most of the pool with them.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2007

This property is plain vanilla. Nothing to get excited about. It is a drab 6-story business hotel located along an expressway; certainly not a vacation get-away. It looks like they tried to remodel it but I'd guess they had about half of the necessary funding.

Here are the pro's: Comfortable room and bed. The room seemed pretty clean.

Negatives: Restaurant and bar are sub-par. The bar has 5 stools and is in the middle of the lobby. The food was barely acceptable (like Denny's) and the wait staff seemed to be "Tier C" if you know what I mean (wrinkled shirts etc). I had the opportunity to watch their room service team attempt to deliver a breakfast to a neighboring guest...I haven't laughed that hard in a while. The hallways always seemed dirty and the ice machine looked bad. My room looked out onto the roof of the porte cochere (covered driveway) which needs some serious cosmetic work. It was the worst view I've had in many years. I decided to grab a late-night snack from the small Flintstone-era vending machine only to find it stuffed with 10-cent Little Debbie snacks (asking price $1.00) and microwavable popcorn (you guessed it...no microwaves).

Plan to eat and drink someplace else. There are a couple restaurants and bars across the street (Old Chicago, Bennigan's and, if your immunizations are up to date, Denny's). Another 30 or more restaurants are located within a few miles along the main road.

In summary, I needed a clean room with a good bed and got it for a cheap price. I paid a low corporate rate and felt that the value was marginal.

I would be inclined to try a different neighboring hotel next time.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank greg1357
HIDenverLakewood, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2007

First, Thank you for your candid comments. We learn and grow from the feedback we receive from guests. You may not know that in 2006 we changed ownership/management companies and have been in the process of renovating and remodeling the entire hotel. In 2006 we started Phase 1 of the remodel: renovating all guest rooms, Phase 2 will begin by the end of 2007 to complete a public areas – new restaurant, bar, lobby, reception, meeting rooms. Next year we will start Phase 3 with plans to renovate the exterior and porte-cochere. Before the end of 2008 our entire hotel will be 'new' again. You mentioned how nice the rooms are, and within a short time the rest of the hotel will be just as warm and welcoming.

We certainly apologize for the service issues you you in the restaurant – please know that we are in the process of completely redesigning the entire restaurant/bar concept, including a new menu and service training with the staff. (which is why it's taken time to get approved and processed).

Please also note that we do have microwaves available in the vending area downstairs as well as a few at the front desk upon request, and for those guests staying on the Executive Floor, a microwave is available in the Executive Lounge.

The changes in the past year have not only included physical changes, but with it staffing and management changes and we are now more focused than ever on our level of service. We do strive to meet and exceed all guest expectations prior to their departure and encourage guests to contact management /staff during their stay to address any issues so that we can make it right .

We do hope that you will change your mind and return to our new, improved, better than ever Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood.

Reviewed April 29, 2007

I was at the Lakewood Holiday Inn for 5 night for business in April 07.
First, the staff was fantastic. Very nice and helpful. Maybe the best hotel staff i have come across.
What I did not like unfortunately outweighed the great staff.
No continental or free breakfast. Both of these were mentioned as available in other reviews. Nothing of the kind now. The restaurant did have hot breakfast, but it did cost, and was horrible unless you like runny (fake?) eggs with hair in them.
No refrigerator or microwave as noted on their own web site. This was a huge issue for me. One reason I chose to stay here was that a mini-refrigerator was listed. I even had an upgraded room! Oh btw- don't bother with the upgrade. I am still trying to figure out what I paid extra for. They mention access to the Executive Lounge with the upgrade I had...which appeared to be an empty room. The hotel lounge/bar was essentially in the lobby. A real lounge area would have been nice, since the "executive" lounge appears to be a ploy to get you to pay more.
The remodel of which they seem very proud is simply tan on beige. Even the art work. I found the decor to be down right depressing. The alarm clocks have a Bright Blue light that comes on when the alarm is set. I had to cover it with a pillow to sleep, it was light a blue spot light in my face.
Location- If you love chain restaurants, business parks, strip malls, and housing developments that are all identical you'll love this location! I prefer a little more variety. There were a few excellent local restaurants tucked away here and there near by, though you'll take your life in your hands to walk to them. Next time I'll stay in Downtown Denver and commute to my work-related locations.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank TamaraCO

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff -- we truly work very hard to meet and exceed all guest expectations prior to their departure.
I would like to respond to some of your concerns.

In regards to the breakfast and restaurant -- in April of 06 we were in the process removing the free breakfast buffet and moving to a full service restaurant. Thus the previous reviews may have made mention of the breakfast which is no longer included (unless you purchase a Best 4 Breakfast rate or an Upgraded Executive Level room which both include breakfast). We apologize for any confusion regarding the breakfast during this conversion time.

In regards to the Executive Level rooms, please know that in April/May 07 we were going through the conversion process with these Executive Level rooms, completing their renovation. During this time we did not charge additional fees for this staying on this level. We only started charging for the Executive Level and services in July 2007 when the renovation was complete. We do still have a few pictures to hang in the Executive Lounge, but for the most part the renovation on this level is now complete.

The Executive Level now has upgraded amenities including thick plush towels, curved towel-rods and all King-bedrooms on the executive level have refrigerators. Some microwaves are available at the front desk upon request, there is one in the executive lounge for guest use (during specific hours) and in the vending area on the main level.

Lastly, we'd like to inform you that Phase 2 of our renovation will begin by the end of 2007 to complete a public areas – new restaurant, bar, lobby, reception, meeting rooms. We are redesigning the entire restaurant/bar concept, including a new menu and service training with the staff. It's a very exciting time at the Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood. We know that you experienced frustrations but we would truly like the opportunity to make it up to you and have you experience the new improved Holiday Inn Denver Lakewood.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed November 10, 2006

My seventy-three year old mother and I stayed at eight different hotels in fifteen nights, and almost all of them were fantastic (thanks in part to reading reviews from fellow travelers at TripAdvisor).

We stayed for four nights at the Holiday Inn Denver-Lakewood, starting on Tuesday, August 1st, 2006. In our reservations we had asked for a nice quiet room on the top floor, and that is what we received. We had Room 652 at the end of the hall on the top floor, which was nice. We had a medium sized room, and the first thing I noticed was the headboards for both of the beds were missing. This was no doubt part of the renovations we were told about when we arrived. The room also included a clock radio, a table with two "comfy" chairs, a bed ottoman, and a large television in a dusty cabinet with a remote. We found the selection of television stations to be quite limited for such a large city, with only a meager twenty channels to choose from. We also found the drapes did not close properly, and I had to use a safety pin to keep it closed at night. The room also had poor lighting, making it difficult to read the newspaper after dark.

The bathroom was also medium sized and had a night light, which we both liked. My mother also liked the fact that there was a handlebar in the shower so she could hold on to. The bathroom also had a sink, three sets of towels, a hairdryer in a bag behind the door, a bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and mouthwash, but no bathroom fan and the toilet was very noisy.

The staff was very friendly and helped us out quite a bit. When my mother needed a shower cap, I asked the man at the front desk, and he was happy to give me one. When I also asked for some extra drinking glasses, housekeeping arrived quickly. We also received two free beverage coupons and two free continental breakfast coupons per night during our stay.

The room key I was given was placed in a special sleeve that contained both a map of metropolitan Denver and the Downtown area. I thought this was fantastic and I put it to good use driving to the Zoo and downtown. Upon checkout, I asked if I could keep the map and was told I could!

We also liked the fact that the hotel was located across the street from a bank and two restaurants (Denny's and Old Chicago). This was perfect for exchanging our money, as well as for morning breakfast and evening dinner.

The hotel had an outdoor pool, which we could see from the window in our room. The lobby had a restaurant as well as a gift shop, a sitting area, and two elevators.

After taxes, the American Automobile Association room rate came to $82.94 U.S. Funds for each of the four nights we stayed. We ranked the Holiday Inn Denver-Lakewood around the middle, but we will be staying there again in September 2007 simply because of the great staff and the location. Hopefully the renovations will be complete and we look forward to seeing the new and improved hotel!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family