“Be prepared to be ripped off and ordered around if you spend money with these people, No phone service and the ultimate in rude,”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake City
Castle Lakes Campground & Cabins
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I knew something was up when I was given 2 pages of rules when I checked in. The owners acted annoyed when I got to thier property at 10 AM. I was chastized and told " Check in is at 2 pm. Period." i told them I had been on the road for 16 hours and my first trip here was hard to judge the travel time. They were not sympathetic. When I did check in, I was given a verbal list of do's and don'ts plus a 2 page list of camp rules. Since this is a "premier" ATV camp site, I was shocked to find out that you could not operate your ATV on site. With 9 different familys scatterd out over 1/2 mile, I had to unhook my tow vehicle or walk to different sites to visit amoung the group. There is no phone service within 5 miles of the site. After the age of 60 yrs old, I don't do well walking at this High altitude. We had a large party and used their common pavilion to bring in the cookers and food prep equipt. We were constantly watched and harassed by the owners. They seemed to be every where enforcing every mundane "rule". They were ready to eject any one that tried to park near the pavalion. Heaven forbid if you drove too far to one side of a one lane road and drove on the grass. I thought there would be a firing squad . When I checked out, I was orderd off the property. What a ripoff. I spent $1000 on a 4 day stay and was harassed and ordered off the property. Even if they fixed up their nasty properties, they still have long way to go with customer service and attitude. PS, I had a great time in Colorado. I would go back every year for the great people and the view. Just not here.

• Stayed July 2012
12 Thank hospitallity

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Colorado Springs
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Campground hosts greet you warmly, like family. Our sites, 44 and 45, had lake views , a stream bubbling nearby and descent privacy.

On the downside, the bath facilities, while kept extremely clean, are outdated. It's time for a full gut and remodel. Also, we were in Lake City to climb mountains. We left early in the am when the campground was silent, but in the afternoons upon our return, all of the ATVs our camping neighbors had made the campground sound like he Daytona 500. The owners, however, strictly enforce the 5mph speed limit, which keeps engine wine to a minimum.

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank COLadyRoadWarrior
Wingate, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have been going to Castle Lakes for several years. Had to miss 5 yrs. for personal reasons but went back this year and had a blast. Steve & Monica (owners) are the greatest, friendly, helpful and some of the best people that you could meet. We cannot wait to go back next year! Thanks Steve & Monica once again for the time of our life!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Teresa O
Paradise, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We were just there this month, it was our second stay, we do like to rider our ATV's and it is close to the Alpine Loop. Great place to stay, friendly, quite, close to Lake City but not too close, still feel like your out away from things. The owners are nice and very helpful. we will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pagosa123
Wyoming
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed at CastlenLakes for three days. The scenery is beautiful lakes, mountains easy access to the four wheeling roads nearby you can drive out with your ATV. The store is nice ton have, jeep rentals, only downfall the restrooms are a bit old and dirty. Otherwise a beautiful p,ace to stay especially with the colors in the fall!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelhappyWyoming
Temple,TX.
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We wanted a quiet place where I could do my writing,and we hit the jackpot! Loved every minute of it! Steve assured us we could see a moose; so we kept trying at dusk. Our last evening there we had a close encounter with two mama moose and their calves. This was on the Alpine Loop a short distance from our mobile home at Castle Lake. Thanks, Steve, for your encouragement!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Poolville, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I have been camping at Castlelakes for years with total adult family groups and for the past 4 years with little children in the group. THis campground is conveniently located for adult hiking and ATV'ing events as well as near many child friendly type activities as well. I took my little ones on the Catarac Falls hike last summer and plan to do another hike with them this coming summer. The campground is child friendly and the kids love coming as much as I love the peaceful atmosphere of the whole place. Thanks Steve and Monica for making this place such a wonderful place to spend some time each summer enjoying nature.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Texan Resort
Texan Resort
#14 of 21 in Lake City
Ouray RV Park and Cabins

Been to Castle Lakes Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!