“Cute, quaint, quiet, comfortable.........and overpriced.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake City
Matterhorn Mountain Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lake City
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We were there in off season and still paid $98 total for a basic room. But it was the only place open in (or around) town. The property is very well maintained for the age of the facility. It's a throwback, and I like that. Could have had a few more ameneties.......like a hair dryer and larger/thicker bath towels. The wireless signal was strong in our room, but very slow for some reason. Overall, it was pretty much what I expected and acceptable, but I thought the price was out of line for what it offered. If you want to grab a bite in town, I highly recommend the chicken pot pie at the Restless Spirits Saloon. Awesome!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LaMar975

Reviewed September 20, 2010

My husband and I and another couple just returned from Lake City, Colorado. We attended the Wine and Music Festival - Great Fun! We spent one nite at the Matterhorn Mtn Motel. I had read the previous reviews - they seemed mixed - but reserved 2 rooms anyway. We are really glad we did! This is a quiet, quaint Motel sitting slightly higher than the rest of the streets, backing up against a hillside. Our rooms #10 & #11 had Comfortable Queen sized beds and a couch that I believe was a pull-out. The rooms had a kitchenette with a 4 burner stove and oven, Sink and Fridge. We also had a small table that sat 4 people. Coffee pot & coffee was provided. Along with all of the basic kitchen necessities. Because town was so busy for this event we cooked dinner in our rooms. We had everything we needed, it was very convenient and nice to just head back to the room make dinner and relax after being out in the sun all day!
The bathroom was small (especially the shower) but was very clean. Towels were on the small thin side....but adequate.
The decor is a comfortable southwest & mountain blend! All of the linens and bed comforters were very clean and not worn at all. Their attention to detail was obvious. The location to town is convenient, you could probably walk to most places you wanted to go. We had a very small miscommunication regarding our room rate, but Laurie (the owner) was happy to resolve this during our check-in. She was friendly and very informative. We were very comfortable here. We would definitely stay here again and we will be recommending this place to friends!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VikiDurango
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The motel office had a doorbell to ring, and Delinda appeared immediately and was always helpful. Everything seemed reasonably clean. The bathroom was not large, but for what it was and what there was of it, it was fine. I’m over 6’1” and found the beds were large enough and comfortable enough. No problems with curtains or shades; I came back a second night because I slept well here the first time. There’s no denying that the shower was a bit like a telephone booth in size. Otherwise, I thought the room had more space than I needed for luggage (and I had more than average - including a large duffel with backpacks and camping gear as well as a suitcase.)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank joshhikes
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I really would have liked to rate this higher, because the staff was friendly, but I did not sleep well here at all. We were in the first room, which is next to a utility room that had a buzzing sound in the wall starting in the middle of the night that kept me up. The bathrooms are very, very small. There is no where to put your toiletries. Some shelves need to be installed for the guests. The shower is extremely small, so small that I could not shave my legs. The carpet was dirty, and had no padding underneath. I like to stretch on the floor, but it was extremely hard. No luggage racks were available in the useless closet. The beds were on the soft side, and too short for my husband, who is not extremely tall at 5'9". The rooms need shades that block out the light from the porch that is left on at night (no way to turn it off). The curtains do not block out the light. Once we checked in, the staff was not to be found until we were packed up to leave at 10am the next day. I went to the office to ask to borrow a hair dryer, as there was not one in the bathroom, and no one was to be found at 9:30am. I have no personal vendetta against this place. I just think it needs to make some improvements and have a way to get a hold of staff when the office is closed, which seemed to be most of the time. I would not recommend this place because I did not sleep well. The pluses are that the sleeping room is fairly big, and the couch was a nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhoenixTales
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have always found the staff/owners to be friendly and very welcoming. I met "Pedro" on our last visit. He is the cutest little dog in the whole world! If you love a good pet story ask how Pedro became part of their family.

We stayed in one of their cabins near the river. The only downside was the fact that we weren't able to stay longer.. Excellent Customer Service..

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Plan to spend at least a week in the majestic San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado. While enjoying the beauty of the out-of-doors, the lakes and streams, the new friends you'll make while biking or cycling, you'll know the restful quiet of this small quaint motel awaits you at the end of each adventurous day of exploration. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are spotless, and the owners will treat you as family.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I guess I should have been worried when I asked the proprietors to send me a few actual pictures of their cabins and they would not...preferring instead to have me look at the watercolor sketches on their website and telling me how charming it was. Well, it wasn't. It was small and dingy and the bathroom was one of those that is so small you have to stand sideways to close the door. The cabin we booked looked out onto the back gravel driveway and the back wall of the main hotel and was very pricey for the level and quality of accommodation. When we checked in no one was particularly friendly or helpful. The whole experience there was a total turnoff and I would NOT recommend this facility to any traveler. Go up the street to another of the hotels or down to Creede instead.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travelswithmutts
matterhornmotel, Owner at Matterhorn Mountain Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2010

This review was really a surprise to this owner as I regularly receive praise of my exceptional staff at the Matterhorn. We likely would not have the occupancy and repeat business that we do if the review given by this guest were even half true. It seems this is a personal vendetta due to the fact that these guests were denied a reservation due to their 'mutts' as we have a strict pet-policy in place and our pet-less guests seem to appreciate this policy. We regularly send photos of all accommodations when requested. The cabins are completely restored and are of historic value to Lake City and are very much in high demand because of their charm.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake City
Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs
Matterhorn Motel
Matterhorn Motel
#10 of 15 in Ouray
Cannibal Cabins (formerly Westwood resort)
Texan Resort
Texan Resort
#10 of 21 in Lake City

Been to Matterhorn Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!