“Clean and spacious”

Alpine Moose Lodge
Denver, CO
“Clean and spacious”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Although we found the price to be a bit steep for winter rates in Lake City ($90 which includes pet fee), the room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. The room even had vaulted ceilings. It was the only hotel in Lake City that was open and pet friendly - not much is open during the winter since it's primarily a summer destination. The room we were in had a flat screen TV with HDMI/USB port, 2 queen beds, stove, hot pot, sink, microwave, full bath. No fridge however. If you need a hairdryer ask to borrow it at the desk. The room was slow to heat up but Bruno, owner/chef, graciously provided us with a space heater and the room quickly heated up. The hotel also has a restaurant where Bruno is the chef and while we did not eat there, we heard from the locals that the food is phenomenal but very $$. The hotel is located up on a hill just a 1-minute drive from the main strip (off of Rte 149). We ate at the Packer Saloon (food was very good), Mocha Moose Coffee shop for bkft which happened to be the only shop open at 8am! We found the small town of Lake City to be very quaint, aesthetic, and friendly. We went to Lake City to ice climb their man-made ice climbing wall off of Bluff St. Other than one other party, we were the only ones climbing! We will definitely be back during the summer to camp and kayak in Lake San Cristobal. We will also be back next winter and stay at Alpine Moose Lodge. The best way to come into Lake City is via Hwy 50 - we came in from South Fork/Creed and rte 149 was windy and scary in certain areas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maven5645

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
MONTROSE
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rooms were clean an comfortable and the food was fantastic! Bruno and his wife were extremely gracious hosts. The lodge is conveniently located close to town (within walking distance) I highly recommend the lodge to anyone looking for a nice place to stay while in lake city. Don’t forget to make dinner reservation well ahead of time as is space fills up fast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NICK K
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our camping gear was pretty wet and more rain was in the forecast. The nice lady at the visitor center suggested this place, Yes, it's old, the walls are thin, the drive is potholed. But it was warm and dry, the beds were clean and comfortable, it had a working stove, fridge, coffee maker, and microwave, plenty of hot water for a bath or shower, and there was a deer grazing outside our window in the morning when I looked out. We were happy. Clean towels would have been nice on the second day, but not a big deal. and Lake City is a lovely little town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robin A
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a find! Pouring down rain and we didn't want to set up tents. We had a kitchenette so we could cook our dinner and breakfast. Place was clean and reasonable priceat $120 split 4 ways. Very roomy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank katmai8
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Booked two rooms at the hotel for $65.00 a night. We were charged 90.00 a night on our credit card.
When I called Bruno he said he would refund our money but he said we told him we wanted the more expensive rooms. He told me never to come back!!!!! ....and that I must need the money pretty bad. Following our conversation I emailed him my original email requesting two $65.00 rooms and his response that he was confirming my reservation.
Very Rude try some place else so your experience in Lake City is a positive one!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank cosmos5555
BRUNO C, Owner at Alpine Moose Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
It took me obviously a long time to think about it but I was not sure you were worthy an answer, but my consilieri mentioned slandering and I think I will tell you beware of Bruno!!!
you asked for rooms over the phone for a price then you called saying you would be very late
and I told you you would be in a different building closer to the lodge for late arrival.
when I charged I did not looked at the different prices and charged you for the main building prices. you called outraged and I told you to have the difference since you needed that bad,which I repeat now!! you are what you are, fine , but do not call me a dishonest person!!!!!!
chef Bruno Courtin Alpine moose lodge
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Older motel where you drive right up to your door. For $90 in June, 2011, we got a king bed and flat screen TV. Room is typical older room, but large. Room was recently redone. Everything worked. Excellent place to sit outside in the evening and enjoy a drink. Restaurant looks like they have an excellent menu, not inexpensive, but they were busy. We didn't eat there. No hot tub or pool. It was close to the highway, but it was quiet. Lake City is kind of the end of the line. Not much traffic.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike9876
BRUNO C, Owner at Alpine Moose Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you very much ,Sir , you did not make a personal issue about our place but you judged it as a simple comfortable older motel with not to many problems!!!!!
since you came we replaced all windows and screens and revamping all the rooms for this winter

CHEF Bruno Courtin AlpINE MOOSE LODGE
Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed July 21, 2010

When to Colorado during nationwide heat wave. Lake City didn't escape it (90 degrees). Lodge didn't have air conditioning (didn't expect them to), but when I asked if I could get screens put on my room windows so I could open them to get some cool night air, the response was "there aren't any bugs in Lake City". Sadly, the comment came from the owner! I killed 14 mosquitoes before I bedtime & 3 days after my stay, I'm still scratching. WOULDN'T STAY AGAIN IF IT WERE FREE!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank RickP55

Been to Alpine Moose Lodge? Share your experiences!