All reviewsthe main houseeach morningprivate bathdelicious breakfasttwo occasionsbed and breakfastmule deerjillcottagequincyaccommodationsbedroomyardkitchenhoststowngem
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was traveling to La Veta for several days and therefore wanted to find a nice bed and breakfast. I chose the 1899 Inn and was thrilled that I'd done so. This large, gorgeous, Victorian era home has been lovingly restored by the owners. The light and airy sun room is graced by beautiful stained glass windows throughout. The rooms are large and very comfortable, and each has a private sink area. Several rooms have ensuite bathrooms. I chose a room without the ensuite bath, and with the in-room sink area, I was extremely comfortable. And the large, clean, well-stocked bathroom was just across the hall.

The food was absolutely delicious, and the owners strive to provide meals that are organic, fresh, and locally produced. Wonderful, and the coffee was exceptional!

When I arrived, I was greeted as a member of the family and upon settling into my room, my hosts pointed out the bathrobes supplied in my closet. I'd forgotten mine, so I enjoyed being able to simply slip on the provided robe in the mornings and head down to the sun room and take a cup of that delicious coffee and head back up to my room. Then, each morning after dressing, I was able to enjoy a wonderful breakfast while I watched the deer outside, munching on the fruit of the almond tree in the yard. How can you beat that?

The town of La Veta was a destination in itself. To me it appeared an undiscovered gem; a mini Santa Fe with all nature of shops of local aritisans and craftsmen, along with a variety of excellent restaurants! At the base of the Spanish Peaks, this town reflects the warmth and quaintness of a bygone era.

I've long been a fan of bed and breakfasts, as they are, to me, the way to go if one wants to feel like part of the community. With folks like Marilyn, Jill and Barb to be your family away from home, there is simply no better. I say this without reservation, this is the best B&B I ever stayed in, in my 63 years!!!

Room Tip: Either the ensuite OR the rooms with a shared bath are wonderful. I found no difference!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank chs32696
Jill S, Manager at 1899 Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so happy that our Inn felt like your home away from home.. our pleasure!!! Thanks again. Barb, Jill, Marilyn

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This charming old home was the perfect get-away location for a quiet weekend. We stayed in the room with a King size bed and were completely comfortable. The rooms were clean and fresh, the bed was very comfortable, the breakfast was delicious, the hostesses were friendly and helpful. Although we had to share a shower and restroom with other rooms it was not as difficult as I expected. Since there is a lavatory in each room everyone was in and out of the shower without any conflicts. The town is lovely and very friendly and surrounded by the mountains. There are also some very good restaurants in the area. Ask Jill or Barb about how to get to Alys' for dinner, you won't be sorry!

Room Tip: There is a private cottage that is en suite if you want complete privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Gina G
Jill S, Manager at 1899 Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Glad you mentioned the shared bathroom .. Some people just can't fathom sharing, but with the sink and mirror in the room and our cleaning regularly, it's not as big an issue as some think. We take great pride in our rooms and thank you for sharing. Please visit again. Barb

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The 1899 Inn in La Veta was so warm and bright. The beds were so comfortable, the owners so friendly and the food delicious. Deer roamed the streets and visited the back yard to eat from the apple trees. Close to local hikes and only a couple hours from Taos and Colorado Springs . I was sad to know I was just missing the annual Celtic Celebration where the city comes alive. The local art and restaurants in town were top notch. I look forward to visiting again soon

Room Tip: Let the owner know your dietary needs they are happy to accommodate. Also they know all the great spots to eat and hike just ask for suggestions .
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank LAHomes

We loved having you. It is amazing to eat breakfast in the sun room and watch the deer eat our flowers... ??? No, we love this town with all of its animal spirits and glad you appreciate it also. It's a lot of fun to meet interesting folks. Thanks very much for coming. Barb

Reviewed September 27, 2012

From moment one, when Marylin greeted us at the door and settled us in, seamlessly, we felt instantly welcomed and at home. Then at the Rifters gig up at Uptop (ghost town), we ment Jill and Barb. They picked us out immediately and we felt like we had just met a new arm of our family. We loved the slow(er) pace on the midnight cruise back to the Inn, crashed so comfortably and awakened to filled crepes and wonderful table mates (and REALLY GOOD coffee). We stayed 2 nights and during the afternoon leading up to the second night the house was quiet, but with several other guests and we felt as welcome as we would have been at home (in Taos). So comfortable and clean, these ladies run a fine ship. When we discovered our flat tire on the final morning, there was no rush or pressure to vacate. In fact, Jill was most helpful in getting us navigated around La Veta. In all, we will definitely visit 1899 Inn again! And that sunroom, complete with wireless internet, we didn't miss a beat. Also, cudos to Alys' Restaurant over on Oak Street!

Room Tip: Shared Bathroom or private bathroom... that's your question. Each room well-appointed, and all very quiet. Walking distance to greater La Veta and the train! And we found our Bristlecone Pines at 11k feet on Cordova Pass - 25 +/- away.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenandScott_12

It was great meeting you. It still amazes us how common interests show up at breakfast, people who know someone who know someone.. fast friends made. It's our pleasure to help others find fun things to do around our great little town. Thanks.. Barb

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I really like this place. Beautiful house, very clean and very good breakfast with fresh fruits. We stayed in La Trinchera room with all the comfort needed and a very comfortable bed.
The hostesses, Barbara, Marylin and Jill are wonderful and charming.
I will go back for sure.
Make sure not to miss the Great Sans Dunes NP if you are in the area ... it's an incredible park and climb the dunes to get an idea of the immensity of this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lipnica
Jill S, Manager at 1899 Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thanks.. It was our pleasure to meet you. Glad you had a great time here in southern Colorado. Our best to you! Barb