“Old Fashion, 60's style Mexican Inn & Lounge”
Review of Farmers Inn

Farmers Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in La Salle
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Farmers Inn is a tough one to call for me. Everyone was friendly, I liked the bar, and the prices are low as one would expect in a very small eastern Colorado town.

As I looked around, some of the burrito plates looked great and my wife ordered a tamales dinner she loved.

The trouble is I'm a Chile Rellenos guy, and I've eaten Chile Rellenos coast to coast and Mexico, I like Rellenos. I like them Soft, however I'll order them bar style Crispy if I have too! These were Crispy, real Crispy, in fact too crispy and very small. About 2 inchs long each chile relleno. One covered with Lettuce and one covered with a tiny tiny bit of some sort of lite green chili sauce. These two rellenos were still very dry and hard to chew, watch those crowns.

Now I must of ordered poorly, because everyone else had great looking dinners, mine was worse than bad. I'll never order Chili Rellenos there again. If I'm ever in La Salle again, I'm going with a burrito plate and you should too, because the Farmer in charge of this Farmers Inn couldn't cook a Chili Relleno if his life depended on it.

There are newer reviews for Farmers Inn

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were recommended to go to this restaurant. We are from out of town. It was TERRIBLE. Good beer, terrible food. When we complained they basically told us TOUGH. so I will never go back and will let everybody I know what terrible food we had.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The food and service were trouble. Our food was cold and the waitress as rude and forgot half of our order. The green chill was our water with no taste. We will never be back.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was introduced to Farmer's Inn food back in 1974 as a young student at nearby University Of Northern Colorado, and I had never seen anything like it at the time. I knew nothing of things like capsaicin, or scoville units, or endorphines, I just know it hurt, but I had to have more. Also nice at the time was price, you could have a three item combination plate of your choice and have it smothered in their infamous runny green chile and generously topped with gobs of gooey cheese and lettuce and tomato for about $2.50.

Farmers has since moved into much bigger digs, 1 block N of the original dive I found it in in order to handle the growing clientele.

I made a recent stop there for some dinner one night while travelling through, found myself seated next to the owner of the establishment which has always been in his family from the start. My original favorite combo was one cheese enchilada, one taco, and one tostada, smothered and topped. Later on I learned just how good their crispy fried chile rellenos were, so that had to take place of the cheese enchilada. After moving to the new location, they introduced their new taco, which is more like the kind of taco you expect from most anywhere, in place of what is now called the "old style" taco which I had come to love. These old style tacos are a corn tortilla with a spiced beef filling jammed into it, folded over and deep fried hot and crisp. Now days, it's two old style tacos and one crispy relleno smothered and topped.

Oh yeah, it is indeed what I remember, still. This place to me is a cult classic, and it is probably most enjoyed by others like me, who have been coming in there for a heck of a long time. I can not compare this experience with any other Mexcan Food joint anywhere, or any other restaurant for that matter, it stands by itself.

1  Thank JJ55
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I don't know how this place has been in business for so long. Maybe because there's not much in town. Even the decor is old, dingy, and depressing. You've been warned..

1  Thank DMVee