“Relevant Riding”
Review of Rusty Spurr Ranch

Rusty Spurr Ranch
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Kremmling
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rusty Spurr Ranch offers non-nose-to-tail riding. Our guests are permitted, encouraged and given instruction on how to spread out and ride abreast instead of in a strict nose-to-tail fashion. We offer a variety of trail ride experiences, a 3-4 hour Cattle Drive and our all-in-one Saddle&Paddle activity providing the opportunity to ride and raft all in one day! We are centrally located to several top Colorado resorts. We are about an hour from Breckenridge, Steamboat and Winter Park, so wherever you stay you can easily enjoy a ride with us.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The husband made his third trip, accompanied by the son who was once a promising rider. After hours in an arena, burning the human neural networks to move with a horse (and the horse neural networks for stimulus and response) can you actually DO anything on a horse? You can join the cavalry, take up polo, or try ranch work - with the Rusty Spurr Cattle Drive being the easiest of the lot.
Actually, it's a "Tom Sawyer" type of operation - the cows tend to congregate at the water holes and every few days someone has to go drive them a few miles away, to give them fresh grazing and give the water hole a rest. So why not find someone who will PAY for the experience? It starts with a couple of miles of spread-out riding, both to rehearse cattle-gathering tactics but also to diminish the horse-herd solidarity and allow development of the human/horse hierarchy. Yes, the most stressful part of the operation for the horse probably is dealing with the stranger thus thrust upon him. After finding the cattle, gathering them is a bit like cow-chess (or GO, where strategy focuses on claiming space over time) because the horses have a cow-repulsion field that causes individual cows to move away. Unfortunately, once they are in a herd the effort needed to drive cows in mass increases - the best tactic seemed to be to trot obliquely at the back of the herd to wedge the mass forward. Of course, pressure on the back of the herd can spill cows off the sides (or squirt them out the rear), so herd-loss takes constant attention. So dealing with the cows is frustrating and eventually the highest and best use of the cows seems to be McDonalds hamburgers.
About the time the horses are tiring and the riders are saddle-sore and the cows are beginning to get the upper hand, the cattle dog zooms in and makes everything right - and shows how effective the amateur cowboys aren't. Finally, there is the ride, two or three miles, back to the cow camp. The tired riders make no effective objection as the horse-herd solidarity reasserts itself because they are in a near-religious state from the western incense of warm horses and trampled sagebrush. Of course, after the drive they serve hamburgers. If you ride, don't miss this. If you don't ride well, just let the horse conduct you along with the herd and take pictures as you go.

1  Thank SantaFeDiva

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Went with my 18 year old daughter and 12 year old niece. My niece was a little apprehensive, had only taken a week long riding camp years prior. My daughter and I had more experience, but it had been about five years since we had ridden.

When we pulled up we were we were warmly greeted by a darling college girl who got us checked in. There were three other groups riding that day for the two hour trail ride. We lucked out going with just the three of us and our guide Kevin, who was awesome. He took the time to stop and help out my niece with reining seat position etc. during our ride. We had a spectacular ride up into the mountains and through the aspen groves.

Kevin pointed out the different mountain ranges , the history of the area, and we all had a fabulous time.

NOT a nose to tail ride. We spread out and rode side by side most of the time. The horses are beautiful and gentle and very well cared for. Don't bother looking anywhere else to ride.

A bit over an hour from Breckenridge. Once you get off I 70 there is really no where to eat so throw some waters and trail mix in a bag to take with you.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just had to tell about our awesome experience at Rusty Spurr Ranch so other people can experience the same! We traveled to the area to spend a week with our friends and explore the Colorado countryside. I own and ride horses, my husband is an occasional rider and our friends are inexperienced riders. We decided to go to Rusty Spurr Ranch after seeing a flyer and talking with Connie on the phone. She answered every question I had and assured me that customer service was very important to them and that they could accommodate us on a 3 hour ride. We arrived for our morning ride and was greeted by warm and friendly owners and wranglers! Our guide Stephen was outstanding! He was so much fun to visit with and was an excellent guide! It is one thing to drive a car on the road and view the mountains in Colorado, but it is an entirely different experience to be sitting on a horse and viewing the beautiful mountains of Colorado! I highly recommend going to Rutsy Spurr Ranch to ride!

1  Thank kclevenger2013
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My adult daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous experience with Maddie as our guide. Maddie was very knowledgable about the area and showed us many breathtaking views! She also gave us confidence in our riding skills, which were rather rusty. I chose this stable based on their philosophy of caring for the horses and the professional and friendly telephone conversation I had when I contacted them about reservations. I would recommend this stable without hesitation!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I loved the ride at Rusty Spurr on June 15th. This was our first time there and I am making plans to return later this summer. Our guide, Steven, showed us some beautiful serene places. The horses were amazing. You can tell they are very well taken care of. Thank you for the amazing experience!