“Loved it and we want to come back...”
Review of Latigo Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kremmling
Latigo Dude Ranch
Reviewed September 12, 2011

..and that includes my very unhorsey husband! We came for most of a week in July, with nothing but the website and reviews here to guide us. We had chosen the ranch because it was small, and seemed to have real riding, not nose to tail plodding. We would come back for all those reasons, and for the wonderful hospitality shown here.(hmm should probably add that the food would get us back too!) In fact, my kids, who are pretty well travelled, have rated this as their best holiday ever.

You can stay in places with more stars, but you won't find better service or a better run place than this. And the riding really does suit all levels , from absoltue beginner to those with all the experience in the world. So book in, try a pair of chinks, let your kids run free and enjoy. Thanks to all at the ranch for a wonderful stay.

1  Thank farmfresh

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My sister, adult daughter and I stayed at Latigo for a week. It was more than I could have hoped for. I hadn't ridden for years, but it felt like I had never stopped. The horses are wonderful - very gentle for the most timid riders...to spirited and peppy for those more experienced. The accommodations were more than adequate with a mini fridge stocked with cold beverages, a wood burning stove and a filled container of homemade caramel corn every day!

The meals were delicious - everything baked is from scratch! You can eat as much or as little as you'd like...as healthy (or not!) as you want! For dinner each evening you can choose between a beef/pork/chicken or a fish or a vegetarian. The desserts are so yummy.

The best part is the riding. Twice a day and at the pace you'd like. Sometimes you are riding through a wildflower filled meadow - loping between the free range cattle! The next you are riding through beautiful forests, then up to a peak, or by a waterfall. Words cannot describe the magnificent scenery.

We will definitely return again. This was one of our best vacations of all time!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2011

If I was a travel writer, I could write a Pulitzer Prize-winning article on Latigo Ranch. There is so much interesting material to cover about this wonderful place. However, you and I don’t have enough time here: I need to get back to work to earn the money for my next trip to Latigo, and you need to read this quickly and go make your reservations. Therefore, I’ll summarize.

Setting: Spectacular high-country Colorado Rockies. Wildflowers are everywhere and the long vistas are stunning. It’s everything you imagine. This is a truly “western” ranch and experience, with rustic buildings and grounds that are clean and orderly. This is not a country club with some riding, which is a good thing, but you will be totally comfortable and well cared for while you are here.

Riding: The variety of terrain was incredible, ranging from trails through aspen and pine forests to cross-country rides across lush meadows and through streams. Rides are led by wranglers twice a day, which could be restrictive at some places, but they are extremely flexible and work to do what you want. We rode as a group of only 2 or 3 each time. Walking, trotting, and loping are all possible once you develop the skills. I’m not a “horse guy” (filthy beasts), but we rode twice a day and loved every minute of it. I started as a beginner, but the wranglers helped me learn, and I was trotting and loping through the Colorado mountains within a couple of days. My kid advanced even quicker.

Wranglers: I hope my kids turn out to be like these people. They were all very fun-loving, knowledgeable about the area, environmentally sensitive, extremely friendly, patient, hardworking, and somehow very professional all at the same time. Even though every one of them is about half my age, I had complete confidence in them at all times. They also made the riding fun.

Other Staff: You’ve met maintenance staff before. What are they usually like? Surly and disinterested? At Latigo, these are some of the coolest and most friendly young men you have ever met. Imagine what the “customer service” staff must be like. (I’ll tell ya’: The kitchen, dining room, and housekeeping staff are super-friendly also.)

Owners: I have never met a more interesting and gracious set of people in my life. I’m a bit of a misanthrope, but I immediately felt as if I was among lifelong friends as soon as I got to Latigo. If you don’t like these people, you don’t like people. Google their names, and you will find out some cool stuff about their past experiences.

Food: Freakin’ outstanding! Prime rib, steak, salmon, roast turkey with all the fixins, hot lunches, made to order breakfasts, lots of alternate selections, and cookies, cookies, cookies. (Plus, mac & cheese, etc. for the kids if they want it instead.) In addition to the meals at the dining room, the breakfast, lunch, and dinner cook-outs were great.

Activities: Other than riding, we did the following at Latigo:
• Fishing
• Archery
• Riflery (.22’s)
• Sporting clays
• Cowboy skills (bullwhip, tomahawks, roping)
• Saddled a horse
• Country dancing
• Swimming
• Hot tub
• Hiking
• Rafting on the Colorado River (mild ride in late August)
• Team penning (working with cows on horseback)
• Volleyball
• Billiards
• Table Tennis
• Foosball
• Burning our family "brand" into the wall of the dining room
• Sittin’ on the porch eating caramel corn and watching the lightning

There’s more to do (cattle round up, all-day ride, overnight ride/camping, kid camp-out), but we did not have time or energy to do it all.

ALL of these activities were included in the cost. Nothing was extra!

No Tipping: Latigo has a “no tipping” policy. That is awesome! We always knew that the staff was friendly and helpful to us because…they are friendly and helpful. It was not because they were angling to get a little deeper into my pocket. Keep this factoid in mind when comparing prices with the other ranches.

Negatives: You may notice that I have said nothing negative yet. Well…we did get some bug bites near the pond. And, oh yeah, the resident otter scared the fish away a few times. We did not see a moose, bear, elk, or cougar—just a whole bunch of deer and a couple of marmots. They also forgot to refill my in-cabin refrigerator with my favorite soda one day. As a certified crank, I’m almost disappointed that I have nothing serious to complain about. Even the brief rain showers happened only when we were indoors already, but you might not be so lucky.

About Me: I know that I sound like a gushing teenager with a case of puppy love for the ranch, but I’m not just some pie-eyed dude who got out of the big city for the first time and was amazed at the starry sky in the “wilderness.” I spend most vacations outdoors fishing, camping, hiking, boating, etc., including at other resorts and lodges. I’ve stayed at lodges in Alaska, California and Montana. Yet, this place really blew me away.

Yes, I know, I said I would summarize, and I tried, but I could not help myself. Latigo Ranch is incredible. Get there!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank RCabeza
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Few things in life truly exceed expectations. Taking our horse loving granddaughter to a ranch for a week of riding, our expectations were high. From the owners through the entire staff they all made this an experience of a life time, just what we wanted for our granddaughter. At Latigo they live their Mission!

1  Thank David L
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Special Thanks to Jim, Randy, Katie, and Lisa for a wonderful vacation.

We have vacationed just about everywhere, and we had one of our best vacations ever.
When we arrived we felt like Dudes, but when we left we felt like Cowboys.
We hardly saw our son the whole vacaton, as he was always was busy. I think we only saw him when he came home to sleep.
My wife and I must have put on 5-10 pounds from all the good food.
I really enjoyed the overnight packtrip, although it hailed...

We are already thinking about when we can return next.

1  Thank Sand-N-our-shoes
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Our family absolutely loved the horseback riding! The wranglers were great - very friendly and helpful. Make sure you ask them if you need help with your riding skills. They have an arena and are happy to do one-on-one training with you but it is not advertised so you have to ask.

Food was wonderful. Home cooked and delicious.

The only thing they need to improve upon is the quality of the beds and bedding. Beds were uncomfortable (very "springy" and creaky) and the bedding although may have been clean were yellowed and could have been nicer (smoother/softer) especially since the price is similar to a "luxury" vacation. The kids bunk beds definitely needed improvement too. After a great day of riding, being outdoors, and eating it would have been nice to come back to and sleep in an immaculate comfortable bed. That would have made this 5 star.

We would still come back because of the beauty of the location, quality of the horseback riding, and the wonderful staff - just really wish the beds/bedding would improve.

4  Thank ket321
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our family has just returned from Latigo and I would be remiss if I didn't write a review. Without a doubt this vacation filled all of this family's needs. We have 3 married children with
eight grandchildren between the ages of 3 and 14. Latigo provided super activities, great
food and most of all, superlative, caring hospitality to all of us. This reunion will be remembered for many years to come and hopefully one day we may be fortunate to return.