“So cozy and comfy!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Keystone B&B and Inns
Brookfield, Illinois
“So cozy and comfy!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We are spending 2nights here so we can go summer skiing at A-Basin. It is a delightful little place with a huge amount of ski history here. The hostesses have exceptionally helpful (we had issues with our cell phone that could've made this trip go sour but they saved the day for us!) and the breakfast was scrumptious. They have homemade bacon and jam! The lounging areas are so cozy and comfy, a delightful place to relax and enjoy special times together. Love it,love it love it!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Orange, California
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The service in the dining room and at the B&B was impeccable. We stayed in the Sunshine Room #7 on the second floor and enjoyed beautiful views from 2 windows and easy access. The bathroom is updated with a large bath tub. However, there is no TV or phone and if you are planning to stay here during ski season I would suggest a larger room. But for us on this visit it was perfect.
Our first taste of their "cuisine" were freshly baked cookies that were placed in a cookie jar close to our room, Delicious!!!! The breakfast was wonderful with a chicken and pork sausage to kill for and the pastries were incredible. For the evening I enjoyed a beef tenderloin which was cooked to perfection....But what impressed me most about our stay was the attentiveness of the staff. Thanks for a wonderful weekend SKI TIP!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lori H
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2014

As another reviewer noted, this B&B is unique. It was built as a carriage stop in the late 1800s and then a private residence for the family that founded Arapahoe Basin and Keystone. Now it is available as a gorgeous bed and breakfast and first rate (and I mean absolutely exquisite) dinner restaurant. I have never stayed anywhere quite like it, especially here in Colorado. The rooms are beautiful and typical of the best bed and breakfasts we have stayed in. There is only one room without a bathroom in the room, all of the others are well furnished. No, they do not have televisions or even telephones in the rooms and that helps compete the charm of the place. Some are small, and yes if you are staying downstairs you can sometimes hear people walking around above you, and if you are staying upstairs you can hear some noise from downstairs. Please, let me emphasize that I am sensitive to noise and I travel with earplugs because I wake easily. This small, unavoidable drawback will not keep me away. There are just way too many positives!
I will be back to enjoy Ski Tip Lodge again. We will again enjoy the magnificent dinner here (DO NOT miss dinner here, I really can't recommend it highly enough), relax and read by the fire after dinner while enjoying drinks from the bar. Did I mention that breakfast is excellent? Did I mention that the service was fantastic? Take my recommendation and have dinner here (at least one night) and stay in one of the quaint, charming rooms in this beautiful old log house. I was taken to another place and time that was so welcoming, I can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: 907, 909, Suite 911/912. The innkeeper will be glad to offer suggestions!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let me start by saying that I love the Ski Tip. My husband does not. This is a very unique, rustic property. That's exactly what I love about it. No TVs, you sit around a community lounge in the evenings, tiny rooms with drafty windows and antiques, a shortage of electrical outlets, creaky floors, funky hallways ... a real throwback to the wild skiing west.

My husband just gets frustrated by the small-ness of everything, the low ceilings, the creaking and groaning of the wood in the building. The old bathrooms irritate him. Sure, they are antique with tarnished brass fixtures and worn porcelain, but that is the charm.

The staff here are exceptional, as is the on-site restaurant. The lounge area is perfect ... comfy seating, giant fireplace. You should spend most of your time here, not in the small bedrooms. The wifi is spotty, except in the common areas. Even then, usually it's not strong enough to stream movies or videos ... there is no TV. At all. You read and play board games. I love that.

So, if you are able to enjoy simple things, and love history, you will probably share my love of this place. If you need things to be more modern, on a larger scale, feel more connected with technology or want more privacy, then this is probably not the place for you.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms are a bit more quiet, but you will hear water moving, creaky floors, rain, noisy n...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank kristainco
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous dinner last night, in this quaint B&B, our third time here and always perfect. Food is delectable and just the perfect size portions, ambiance is like nothing else close by, and the service is top notch! We'll be coming back for many years!

• Stayed March 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Ski Tip Lodge this weekend as part of my fiance, John's birthday celebrations. Had a delicious, delicious dinner (though pricey, but hey, it was a special occasion) on Friday night, enjoyed dessert by the snuggly fireplace, where the room of fellow travelers who were doing the same sang happy birthday along with our server, as she presented him his dessert with a candle :) That's what this place does, though-- it makes strangers sing with you! Ski Tip really feels more like someone's cozy home in Austria that we've all been invited to. Following that great sweet top off to the meal, we sleepily climbed upstairs to our room. Can't beat that! Plus, the snow was falling like crazy (see my pic). What a little dream of a spot. We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: I didn't love our location on the "road side" of the house because the street light is...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I don't know why I am writing this review - I really would prefer The Ski Tip Lodge to remain one of the best kept secrets of the Rockies.

Quite simply - it is fabulous. The bedrooms and bathrooms may be a bit small and quirky but this is a bed and breakfast and not a hotel. However the beds are terrific and the hospitality from every member of staff is beyond reproach.

The food in the dining room is some of the very best we have had in the United States. Wonderfully creative and yet not over complicated. This is complemented by a great wine list with lots of good value curiosities from around the world. This praise extends to the breakfasts which are excellent - need to lose a few pounds now that we are home.

Add to this mix the very cosiest lounges with roaring fires and good company then it is hard to think of anywhere else in Colorado that matches this experience. It is reminiscent of the best Swiss or Austrian mountain chalets but there is no mistaking that this is Colorado - "Alpine Americana"

We'll be back! I just hope it doesn't become so popular that we can't get booked next time!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank GlassAxis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Keystone Lodge & Spa
#8 of 32 in Keystone
Lakeside Village
Lakeside Village
#2 of 32 in Keystone

Been to Ski Tip Lodge? Share your experiences!