“Great Cruise Mountain Rediscovered”
Review of Keystone Ski Area

Keystone Ski Area
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Keystone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Extensive terrain covering three mountains offers a wide variety of trails for skiers plus other activities including snowshoeing, tubing, ice skating and snowboarding.
Hampton, Virginia
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Great Cruise Mountain Rediscovered”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

It's been over 20 years since I last skied Keystone. Typically what kept me away when visiting Summit County was the low snowfall totals when compared to the other resorts. What I discovered they do more with less. Plus the terrain is quite good for advanced and older skiers with an excellent terrain park for young guns. In the early days it was marketed more as a family place. Today I'm not sure how its marketed. But I can tell you that this is a cruiser's paradise with really long runs with interesting terrain. The mountain is easy to get around and it also offers some wonderful views of Breckenridge. Overall, it's friendly, uncrowded and a good place to grab lots of vertical.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank snowbliss1

• Korean first
Sarasota, Florida
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Nice Slopes but very expensive and crowded”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were there on Martin Luther King weekend, so we expected crowds, but I've never seen a Colorado slope so packed with people in my life. The lift ticket prices at $110 were exorbitant. There were a lot of good runs and a variety of levels, but most of the mountain that we saw were only blue and green trails. We had no snow over the 4 days so they should have been making snow, but they weren't. Some parts were very thin and painful for the beginners. Overall, we liked it, but other nearby mountains are better.

1 Thank lizardtiff
Elmer, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great ski area”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been coming to this resort for over 30 years and it remains one of the top ski areas I have been to. 2013 is a bad snow year and when the snow gets bad those in the know go to Keystone because of the excellent grooming. The kids lesson program is excellent although private lessons are ridiculously expensive. The only other rip is in the lunchroom. $5 soda, $13.50 chicken sandwich's, and a $16 burger! Start early, ski hard, quit early and go back to Dillon or Silverthorne to eat.

Maryland
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Family friendly...fun slopes”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Our family just returned from a ski trip to Colorado. While there we skied and snowboarded at Keystone, Vail, and Breckenridge, using the 3day pass that also included Beavercreek and A Basin, booking online a week in advance through Keystone's website. This saved us a little money since we were with a group of 8 and day passes are expensive in Colorado.

I loved the service here at Keystone. I would say it is a Colorado thing, but I did not feel the same way when visiting Vail. Attitudes affect so much of what type of experience I have on vacation and Keystone just took me to that happy place. Not only was the staff incredibly attentive and friendly, but the skiers and snowboarders were as well. I love going on vacation where others are considerate of those around them and when on the slopes it makes such a difference when skiing next to people who are there to have fun and not spray you with snow or cut you off.

The only challenge we had while there, was figuring out lunch. We packed our own lunch and were staying about 10 minutes from the slopes. There really isn't a great place to sit down to eat at the base of the mountain to eat unless you are dining in one of the restaurants. However, if you take your food and gear to the top of the mountain (and you can ride the gondola up in your comfy shoes carrying your ski gear, you can get a locker at the top of the gondola and they have a cafe area where you can eat). Parking is a little more tricky if you are not staying along the free bus shuttle line. But not impossible. Just a bit of a hike through the village. You can pay $20-$30 to park right near the base of the mountain, but call us cheap, but that is just not our style when we are already paying nearly $100 a day to ski with such a large family. Parking is free on the far side of the village as you come into the resort.

For an east coaster, this is a lesser known ski resort, so we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the mountain and number of slopes and quality of skiing and snowboarding. I would definitely return here to ski for a day when we make it back to Colorado. And again....awesome service....super friendly and helpful.

Findlay, Ohio
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Fun but little snow”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I wish there was more snow. Resort was nice and lift lines were almost non-existent. I really liked lift ticket card that was easily scanned.

1 Thank Asa B