“WARNING Do not hire surf boards from here!!!!”

Gecko Restaurant and Rooms
Ranked #48 of 74 Restaurants in Arugam Bay
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“WARNING Do not hire surf boards from here!!!!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hired a surf board from Gecko late Sept time. I chose a board and the decided a price. The owner demanded that I hand over some sort of I.d in order to hire which was unlike any other board hire shop that I went to in Arugam. Together we examined the board for any dents or cracks and all were pointed out. N.B. this was clearly a board that had had A LOT of use and to stand there pointing at every single imperfection would have taken all day. I only used the board for 30 mins and returned it the next day. The man then assessed the board for a few minutes and then chose a random small imperfection, he then began picking at the surface with some force causing parts to crack off and demanded that I go pay for a repair. He then said I could do this or pay 1000 LK the equivalent of 2 more days extra hire. I decided to pay the 1000 upfront instead of going to the next door shop (that probably needed work due to it being low season) to get it repaired as It wouldn't have surprised me if I were to be confronted with another rip off merchant with an unfair demand. There are plenty of places to hire boards from in Arugam bay, I suggest you go to one of these that are more trust worthy and do not leave you with dread when returning your board!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Sz89

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A great place to chill”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

A fabulous place to retreat to when the sun's too strong or to just hang out in. Relaxed, chilled out vibe, great food, although like with a lot of places, you may have to wait a while for food and to pay at the end. Friendly helpful staff and owners, easy place to while away several hours in.

“Mediocre”
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Can't comment on accommodation. Quite a nice vibe by the beach but food is less than average... Melted ice cream and overpriced burgers. Would chill and have a beer but wouldn't be back for food.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very bad service”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I know the Sri Lankans are notoriously slow for service but waiting 2 hours for your food is ridiculous. We were starving and I found the food over priced for what we got.

When we first got there we were impressed by the owners (family owned, English woman, Sri Lankan husband and their cute kids.) The menu looked promising and is an Eco place.

But unfortunately the waiting let us down. We thought it could have been a one off as they were busy but our friends went the next day at lunch time for just a drink and waited 45 minutes for a coke! The waiters didnt even apologise.

Leeds
“Great food”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We ate here for breakfast and one dinner, the food was great although beware it can take an age to get it, which seems to be the case across all Sri Lanka. Very chilled atmosphere and great for just a drink as well as the food.