“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ignacio
Magnolia, Texas
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We had an overnight stay here at Sky Ute. Our accommodations were wonderful, the beds were very comfortable, the room was spacious, the bathroom was big with a stand up shower as well as a tub on the other side of the room. Highly recommend this place for a great nights rest. Loved the decorations as well!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My parents and sister spent two days at this hotel in August. The service was great. The room was very clean and comfortable. They had several restaurants to choose from and they were reasonably priced. It was also very quiet. I have spent a lot of time in hotels and in most cases I could hear the other rooms doors opening and closing. I never heard anyone walking down the hall or going in or out of their rooms. Durango was only about 25 minutes away.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2014

My sister and I attended the Barenaked Ladies concert here on August 1st (my 13th; her 7th...and we deemed it top 3, so we were thrilled with the show). We travel a lot for pleasure, and it's always a bonus when there's a casino included or nearby. I've gambled in Las Vegas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Iowa, New York, and Colorado. I don't mind losing the money I took with me to lose...I just don't like when it happens in the first hour or so.

The hotel itself is very nice. The only "complaint" I had was a crooked lampshade on a lamp by the elevator. The common areas were exceptionally clean and well-appointed. The room was huge and nicely decorated. The bed was better than my new one at home. The linens were fresh and smelled amazing. The bathroom was the largest I've ever had in a non-suite. The wifi connection was fast. The restaurants were reasonably priced (less expensive than Oklahoma casinos) and the food was fine. (We only ate at the fast food place and got a pastry the next morning from the kiosk, so we didn't take full advantage of the restaurants on-site.) The rate was a little high ($150 for a double), but it was still a good value considering the accommodations.

Our ONLY problem with the resort was the casino. It is small, and there are not many "branded" slot machines that tend to offer more exciting bonus games and features. In addition, the lack of players in the casino made it a rather boring experience as well. When there aren't any people to interact with at the table games, it becomes more of a waste of money than an entertainment expense. The slots did not "tease" AT ALL. At other casinos, we typically put $20 in, play on it for awhile, and if it hits on something that takes it up over $20 again, we cash out. Stick that ticket in your pocket and another $20 in the machine. On a good visit, you walk out of there with several $20+ tickets to cash out. At Sky Ute, I NEVER got over the $20 I put in, and it took just a few minutes to lose. I'd brought $200 to lose, but I was just irritated instead of having fun, so I stopped at a quick $70 loss and went back to the room. My sister's experience was similar. We didn't even bother to play on Sunday before checking out. There was no one around to visit with at the tables, and we were pretty sure the slots had not miraculously begun to pay off.

Since I live in Texas, it's doubtful I would return here unless Barenaked Ladies return. My sister, however, lives in Colorado but has decided that Black Hawk and Cripple Creek are more worth her casino dollars than Ignacio. It's a beautiful location, but not worth the drive to essentially give away money without any return on the investment...even if it's just in the form of having other gamblers to commiserate with over the loss.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LeslieR881
Calabash, North Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed at the hotel in July. It was fantastic! The hotel is beautiful and the rooms terrific. There was many wonderful touches in the rooms, highlighting the Indian heritage and others bringing elegance and comfort to travelers. There are several places within the complex to eat, and you must walk the short distance to the Ute Indian museum. We don't spend much time in casinos, but they did have a small, separate room that was non smoking. Unlike nonsmoking sections, it was free of the smell of smoking.
We were there for a special event and the staff was attentive and met every need. Dinner was great. Granted, there isn't much to do in the immediate area, but for us, it was well worth the trip!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The rooms and casino as a whole is very nice. It is an easy place to get around. It looks like a fairly new casino. Nice machines and good service. You won't get lost. There are limited places to eat there. Actually only two. However, the food quality is not
fresh--and is pricey. This is the only place in town to eat.
The casino is smokey.

Room Tip: The room we got was quiet and nice. Good service.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jody358
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Unfortunately these folks don't seem to have an efficient a/c system...the smell of smoke was so bad I couldn't even manage to stay long enough to lose my money...a good thing, I suppose. If you're a smoke it won't be so bad for you. The games are the same as everywhere else. The food court is closed after 10 or so, so don't come hungry if you're late. On a better note, the RV park is excellent and the folks there are efficient and helpful. So, stay at the RV park but gamble somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert R
Travis G, Director of Operations at Sky Ute Casino & Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi Robert R.,

To begin, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations at the RV Park during your stay. We are very pleased and proud of our RV Park, In regard to not being able to find something to eat after 10pm, I’m so sorry about your late night experience and not being able to find a venue to dine. The Sky Ute Casino Resort has 5 restaurants on-site and there is at least one restaurant open 24-hours a day. We will be re-evaluating how our restaurants' hours of operations are being displayed and correct this situation.

Concerning the smoking issue that evening, we'll thoroughly inspect our mechanical systems. The Sky Ute Casino Resort installed a state-of-the-art system that delivers nothing but 100% fresh outside air to the casino floor. This should not have been your experience and I deeply apologize for this incident.
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I would like to thank the entire staff at the sky ute casino for an excellent experience. We were treated like kings. The gaming was great as well. The room was in excellent condition. All the staff was very knowledgable and was able to answer all of our questions and tend to all of our needs. I highly recommend the sky ute casino.
Ben Ruybal.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ben R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ignacio
General Palmer Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango
Homewood Suites by Hilton Durango
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango

Been to Sky Ute Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!