“OK if you are in area”

Sky Ute Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ignacio
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Smoking is allowed at this casino and it is quite smoky.

Hotel was ok much nicer than the old one. Rooms were very loud and echoed every sound.. It was a little annoying. Bathroom was large and nicely appointed. TV uses some type of IP network and restarted a few times. It takes about 3 minutes to reboot.

Pool was nice but the lazy river is part of the indoor pool and only about 400 yards.

Front Desk staff didn't seem to worried about customers and were always very busy doing something else that did not include you. I think they like to assert their power in keeping you waiting.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank VirginiaFreeze
SarahGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sky Ute Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2011

Thank you for your comments. Yes, we do allow smoking at our casino. When we built the new Sky Ute Casino Resort, we installed a brand new state of the art raised floor smoke mitigation system to avert the smell of smoke that many find intrusive to their gambling experience. Next time you are on property, if the smell of smoke is still lingering we encourage you to test out the non-smoking room and see the difference!

The pool is a lovely place to go and relax. The most wonderful part about the lazy river is that you can go around and around without ever leaving the pool!

Your concerns about the front desk staff have been communicated to our Front Office Manager. We welcome your return so that you might see we take your concerns very seriously and are continually striving to improve service to our customers!

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I planned a trip to this casino along w a visit to Durango to see some friends over my birthday weekend. I had visited Casinos before in Minnesota, Iowa, & Colorado so I was hoping for the best & was disappointed to say the least. This casino is located a ways off the rd & honestly not worth the effort to get there. The slot machines are older versions so there wasnt much to choose from & the payouts were minimal. They allow smoking which was a huge turn off for me & my boyfriend, & the nonsmoking gambling area was a joke! They have free beverages if you dont mind lukewarm prefilled cups that they pass around on a cart. The pool area was overcrowded with families & my boyfriend developed an itchy red rash shortly after using the hottub. The rooms were pretty basic & I slept well enough-so no complaint there. The breakfast was the only good part of my stay, but you had to pay a little extra to get the upgraded menu. The staff was friendly & helpful, locals not so much. As I was checking in, one guy called me a 'white b*****' from his balcony! I'll stick to Blackhawk or Central City for Colroado gambling next time!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skeeter82

Thank you for your comments. The Sky Ute Casino is indeed located about 15 minutes off of highway 160 and about 30 minutes from downtown Durango on the Southern Ute Tribe Indian Reservation. Part of the beauty of the location is the local history of the surrounding area and its proximity to nearly every activity under the sun! Not to mention that the drive is gorgeous, no matter the weather! I am shocked to hear of the obscenities yelled from an overhead balcony as the interior balcony doors do not open for guests, and this is typically a very welcoming tri-ethnic community. I can assure you that this is very unusual.

We are constantly making upgrades and switching out many of the slot machines with what is trending in areas such Vegas and local casino such as Black Hawk and this January are giving out $112,000 in giveaways alone - that doesn't even include what people can take away from the tables or slots. We do indeed allow smoking on the gaming floor, however when we built the new Sky Ute Casino Resort, we installed a state of the art raised floor smoke mitigation system to avert the smell of smoke that many such as yourself find intrusive to their gambling experience. It may not be a perfect system, but we have made every effort to contain the smoke. The pool area is an added bonus for our guests. Did you see that huge mural on the wall? It was taken from a historical photograph and completed specifically for the Sky Ute Casino’s pool area. Having frequented Vegas casinos over the years and been forced to sit nearly 30 rows back just to find an open lounge chair, I can empathize with the experience you shared about our crowded pool and can unfortunately only offer you an apology, it can be frustrating. With so many people frequenting these facilities we must keep temperature and chemical numbers at appropriate Colorado State regulated levels to ward off dangerous germs. So while it is awful that your boyfriend got a rash from the experience I assure you that our maintenance staff keeps a log of these chemicals and temperatures every day to keep them up to code and our patrons safe.

We are truly sorry that your experience was one that put a sour taste in your mouth, and hope that someday you will be in the area again and give us another try. Until then, we thank you for your comments and wish you the best of luck!

Reviewed July 23, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by the accomodations and friendly staff at the Sky Ute Casino. The restroom was beautiful with a huge walk in shower and deep soaking tub. The restaurant was excellent with excellent wait staff. We hope to go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stephie28

Thank you for these kind words! We love that you had such a great experience and hope you come back too!

Reviewed June 4, 2011

I have stayed at the Sky Ute Casino & Resort twice and both times the service throughout the resort was exceptional. Every staff person I encountered went above and beyond his/her job duties to help fulfill any request, and they all did this without question and with professional and polite attitudes. The resort is very clean, and my 5th floor room was extremely quiet, even though most rooms were occupied. I love the casino, restaurants and lounge. The fitness center was clean and had everything I needed. The pool looked nice, although I didn't use it and I didn't go to the bowling alley. For a small town, the Sky Ute is a gem. I will be back with more family members and friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank HappyCircles

We can’t thank you enough for staying with us. We love our guests and hope to serve you and your family and friends for years to come! We hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2011

We had a lot of problems during our stay. Our door wouldn't close properly, and could be pushed open from the hallway. It took the (very nice and friendly) maintenance staff 2-1/2 hours to replace the lock and strikeplate, and all the while there was a guy in our room or standing in the hall with the door open. Awkward. The repair took so long because there were people stuck in one of the elevators, and the staff were trying to fix that too. The crew actually told us they forgot about the guy they left standing at our door, which I guess means they forgot us, too.

Once the lock was replaced, our key cards would not work. One of the staff had to come up and let us in with a physical key (they figured this out after sending a couple of different staff members with "master" key cards, which did not work). We had to go through the whole thing again the next morning after breakfast; we were sitting in the hall for 25 minutes until the right person came up to let us in--even though we had explained at the front desk we needed a physical metal key to get in the room.

But there's more: When we opened up the sleeper sofa and turned down the sheets, we found FOOD in the bed. A quesadilla. In the bed. It was a minor point that there were no blankets in the room for the sleeper sofa, and we had to call the desk--again--for blankets and new sheets.

My last complaint is regarding the service at the breakfast buffet. They added 18% gratuity to our check, because we had 6 people. But the only service we received was delivery of drinks (late--we were almost done with our meal). The server never even cleared any dirty dishes off the table, and obviously we served ourselves the food at the buffet. Then we had to go up to the cashier and wait while the server went somewhere and rung in our check.

We did complain (repeatedly), and the casino comped about 40% of the cost of the room. I think a lot of people would have really gotten angry and taken it out on the staff, but my friend and I who booked the suite have worked in restaurant and bar service for many years, and we know what it's like to get yelled at for things we're not personally responsible for. It seems like Sky Ute has more of an overall management/policy problem.

The individual staff members were very nice, friendly, helpful, and good-natured. The poor guy at the front desk looked so embarassed. Our suite, besides the problems we had, was very nice, new, and clean. Big TVs, wet bar, Ipod dock, soaker tub were all deluxe.

Until the 25-min wait to get back in the room after breakfast, I was honestly thinking about going back (we are locals). But until the communication and service issues improve, I think not. Lower your expectations, or stay in Durango.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank jen33397
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Beware the gendarmes at this joint. Upon entry we were accostedby some goob who said we were drunk and told the guy at the bowling alley not to serve us alcohol. In the first place, I drank a beer with lunch an hour before I got there. I was sober upon arrival. In the second place, the alley's bar was closed. How is that for being informed?

My wife and I were both offended. We will not be back to be offended again.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank uzzell7

I am sorry that our team left you with such a sour taste in your mouth. Although it is certainly not an excuse, in a casino atmosphere such as this we can only be too careful. We apologize for the error in judgment and while you have made it clear that we offended you to the point of no return, please accept our apologies and know that we hope this is not truly the case. Our facilities are unmatched in the four corners area, and local culture and outdoor activities abound! Experience teaches slowly, and often at the cost of mistakes. We welcome you back any time.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

We live in nearby Cortez, and have stayed at the Sky Ute Casino 10 or so times in the last 4 years. The casino & hotel were renovated a couple of years ago - no comparison to the old lodging. I think the rooms are the best in the Durango area (Sky Ute is about 20 minutes from Durango). Rooms are beautiful, clean, spacious, quiet, exceptional beds (but pillows are too tall/firm) and many have views - you have to ask, or your room may view the top of another building... The casino allows smoking, but the ventilation system is excellent - the best I've encountered. I'm sensitive to smoke & am very comfortable in the casino at any hour. The dinner food quality is inconsisent, but breakfast upgrade is always good & affordable & dining staff is always friendly & attentive. The front desk staff though friendly & helpful are often in a state of confusion. The lounge is fun & we've enjoyed most of the bands that play there - catch "Rockslide" playing if you can. We love the indoor jacuzzi tub/pool area. Be sure to sign up for your "Bear Card" and ask for what discounts are available. A very nice get away, even if you don't gamble much!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank southwestgirl_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ignacio
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango
La Quinta Inn and Suites Durango
Iron Horse Inn
Iron Horse Inn
#14 of 34 in Durango

Been to Sky Ute Casino Resort? Share your experiences!