“Not bad/Not great”
Review of Columbine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Idaho Springs
Columbine Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Idaho Springs
Dahlonega
“Not bad/Not great”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Could not get the heat to work. Grounds a little unkept but still looked better than most of the other hotels. Would not want to stay for an extended period of time but ok for a stopping point.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank madams1212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed in Idaho Springs as a jumping-off point for hiking, rafting, and fishing in the area. The Columbine Inn was a great choice! It's so convenient -- right off the highway and you can easily walk to Starbucks for coffee in one direction or to groceries and the charming downtown area in the other direction. Although it's close to the highway, we weren't bothered by the noise at all. The owner, Sam, was very pleasant and we were pleased with all four of the rooms rented by our group. The bed was nice and comfortable and the little kitchenette was super handy! Our group enjoyed the patio one night as well, but we also liked sitting out on our stoop (on the office side of the motel) in the mornings and evenings.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side (near the manager's office) get less direct sun (good for summer, bad fo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank The2McDoos
Green Bay
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I don't normally write reviews---no time, for thing one, but typically, when I travel, my accomodations are average or better, so I don't worry about writing a review. In this case, I must do so! I called the hotel in advance of my arrival to inform them that a package was coming for me overnight with a new Discover Card for me as mine had been lost/stolen. They agreed to accept the package. When I arrived, it wasn't there. The next day, it was also not there. I called Discover and they told me the package had been denied. Asking the owner (Sam) he claimed he knew nothing about it. The employee standing next to him said "oh...we sent it back. We didn't know who it was for." So I asked Sam if he would call UPS and see if we could have it sent back. Well, he made a big fuss, refused to help, yelled at me, and then threw me out of his hotel, as well as threatening to call the police if I wouldn't leave! UNBELIEVEABLE!! I never once swore, raised my voice or anything. I just asked for some help in fixing their mistake. I was stunned! Not wanting to make a scene, I simply packed up my stuff and demanded a receipt for the two nights stayed, to which he charged to a card which he was not supposed to use, after charging this card for the full 6 nights of my stay!! Upon departure, I did tell him he was the biggest *&^%$ I had ever met. He proceeded to punch the front of my truck with his fist as I drove away. Fortunately, I had stayed with other hotels in the area, and the lady who runs the Blair Motel (highly recommended!!) accomodated me and told me that many people have had problems with Sam. I also reported him to the police for the punching of my vehicle (no damage was done). They also stated he has been in trouble before. DO NOT STAY AT THE COLUMBINE!!!! YOU WILL GET NO SERVICE, NO HELP, AND AN OWNER/MANAGER WITH A TERRIBLE ATTITUDE!!!

Room Tip: Go to the Blair Motel---very good people, nice service, fair prices.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank John D
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights while touring Co. We arrived around 2pm hoping for an early check in, but the office was closed and no one was around. So, we walked to the Main St. area for a while, which was surprisingly fun and busy for a small town like this. Anyway, when we returned, Sam was there to check us in, which went smoothly. Our room (#3 I do believe) was quaint and cozy. The bed was huge and comfy with a big down quilt on it! The kitchenette was spacious and there was a small fridge and a coffeemaker with coffee provided. There was also an oven/range, but NOT A SINGLE pot, pan, dish, fork, spatula or otherwise provided! So, what the heck are ya supposed to do with that? Or the grill outside for that matter? But, we went out to eat our first night, and had leftovers our second night, so it didn't much matter to us that we were unable to cook there. I would definitely recommend this motel to others.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh NC USA
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I recently stayed at the Columbine. I have to admit when I drove past I was concerned about the location, it is sort of tightly positioned between the main st in Idaho Springs and Interstate 70... I thought that the highway noise would be a nuisance, In reality I did not really hear the road noise and I guess maybe that could vary by room but wanted people to know that was not an issue for me.
The ground-level room off the courtyard was of generous size with two queen beds. Bedding was sort of rustic and comforters heavy although of a lesser quality. Functional best captures it. Mattress wasn't an issue for me, although the sheets were a bit loose. Bathroom was small-ish but adequate, seemed like hot water was not an issue and I didn't notice any overt cleanliness problems. Again, nothing fancy here but you aren't paying fancy hotel prices either, so set expectations accordingly.
I tend to focus on the pragmatic anyway. The location is good for convenient food, Post Office, etc. but not walkable to the historic downtown. The inn makes sense for someone who isn't into glossy and doesn't want to pay for glossy.. Remember you are only 25 minutes or so from Blackhawk and Central City Casinos, so its very easy to stay in Idaho Springs and drive up there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Our family stayed at the Columbine Inn in early August, 2011. The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of several good restaurants and the downtown area. The staff were pleasant and helpful, even when there was confusion over the reservation policy (the hotel charges the full cost of rooms for your entire stay up front. If you want to check out early, you still pay for the room for the duration of your reservation unless they can sell it to someone else. In fairness, this is spelled out on their web page). Our room was clean and comfortable, but tired and worn around the edges - although outdated furniture, rough bed linens, and a 1970s-era bathroom may lend charm for some guests. Other reviewers mentioned renovations, but these were not in evidence in our room. Overall the hotel was fine - not excellent, not terrible, but probably not worth what we paid for it. If I'm in Iowa Springs again I'll consider other options.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Marion, Illinois
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I used trip advisor to plan out two weeks of vacation and this was the first hotel. Local stated that we ahd made the right choice and we agree. It was a great little hotel. beds were great. The room was big enought for the family of four. And, it was very clean. The People in the town were extremely friendly and very helpful. We would go back for the ambiance. It was a great stay and a great first stop before ascending Mt. Evans.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in Idaho Springs
Miners Pick Bed and Breakfast
Miners Pick Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 5 in Idaho Springs

Been to Columbine Inn? Share your experiences!