“Come with an open mind and you will learn something”

Argo Gold Mill and Tunnel
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.00*
and up
ARGO Mill Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Come visit one of the regions most amazing historic mining heritage sites, the Mighty ARGO Mill. Our walking tour includes a visit to our history room to view a video describing the history of the ARGO Tunnel and Mill, a view into the ARGO TUNNEL, a descent through our historic 5 story gold ore mill, a visit in the historical artifact museum at the base of the ARGO Mill, and a chance to find real gold as we offer you a gold panning lesson! Please note: no pets allowed on site.
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our tour guide was anything but enthusiastic during our visit. She wasn't rude, but her demeanor, attire, tone and facial expressions were not what one would expect from a professional tour guide. Perhaps it was because we were part of the last tour of what was a long day for her, but she clearly did not want to be there. Even though the tone that carried her dialogue was lethargic, the content and the experience was enjoyable enough to make the tour worthwhile. The guide demonstrated rock drilling after a brief introductory film and lecture. Then she drove us in a bus up the mountain where and let us off for a self-guided portion of the tour. There is a small mine near the drop off point. Personally, I found the mill to be the most interesting. Since the mill has not been in operation for quite a while, a few portions of the machinery were missing. However the descriptive flyers we were given gave perspective on the few items that were not in place, and described their function in the process of separating the gold from the ore. The tour ticket includes gold panning at the end, adding a little more value to the visit (especially for those with kids who'd like to have some gold). The gentlemen at the admissions and gift shop desk was a resource of information as well. When I had questions about the place or mining in general, he sounded happy to answer them. Because of his enthusiasm and knowledge, as well as the aspects of the tour itself, I found this place to be a worthwhile visit in spite of the unprofessional delivery of the tour guide.

There are newer reviews for Argo Gold Mill and Tunnel

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The history presentation on the mill & tunnel, lecture about the various rocks and demonstration on the equipment was good; the young person giving it was knowledgeable. The bus ride up to the top of the mine was strange as the same person who gave the lecture asked us if we were tourists, which we were. He said "good" as they didn't need any more people moving into the area! And he wasn't joking.
The bus drops you off for a self-guided tour, with signs explaining the machinery along the way.It was OK and allows one to go their own pace but if Argo invests in the staff to provide for a full guided tour we felt we could have learned more about the sights we saw. Working our way down the mill isn't for eveyone as the stairs were steep and narrow; it was still interesting.
After our self-guided tour we were at the gold panning sight where we were given a bag of dirt and shown how to pan for gold. The demonstration was very quick; sneeze and you miss it! The guide then walked off to attend to something else. It takes patience to get to the good rocks and gold flecks and our daughter loved it. We thought it was ok. Bottom line; our 9 year old daughter enjoyed the panning best and I like the mill best. I felt if the company invested in some better guest relations - the kid taking our money in the shop was snarky, and the guide was knowledgable but rushed and acted like he couldn't be bothered - than Argo could really have something special and make more money than they are presently doing.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family visited the mine/museum where we had lots of fun learning about the history of mining in Colorado, and trying our hands at panning for gold. It would be a great stop over on the way to the mountains further out from Denver. We also had fun watching the rafters whiz by on the river next to the museum.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I went yesterday (4th of july) since most firework shows were canceled and it was to hot to stay home. I had gone to idaho springs many times with my family and aways wanted to go to the mine but never did. So when my hubby said lets go do something i knew exactly what i wanted to do. He was a bit stand offish untill it started. it was $16 per adult which was cheaper than going to the movies. We were the only ones there at the begining on the slideshow but the room was full by the end. (slideshow could use updating but it was still good). Bob told us all about the mine and the different rocks and gold. He spoke fast but we learned alot. than we went outside and got to see how they drilled into the rock to make argo tunnel and the mines. We got in a bus and he drove to the top of the hill and told us were to go. I liked this cause you could take you time going through the mine and mill rather than being walked through in a big group. The mine was awesome and very cool (temp) inside. It gave you a real sence of what those guys went though back then. I know i couldnt do it. than you walk down the hill and if you pay attention to bob he tells you how to go see the opening for the argo tunnel. not alot of people see it since they dont listen. Seeing the tunnel opening was awesome, even though its closed off so no one can go in. Than we went in the mill. We love history and going in there was like stepping back in time. note you cant take wheelchairs or strollers in the mill. It was an awesome sight to see everything in the mill. sadly theres a few places people have thrown trash that they cant get to to clean out, which just broke my heart. There are a few stair cases that are narrow and steep but jsut be careful and take you time going down. The last room in the mill is full of old tools, photos, and info about the items. It is amazing to see all the tools and the photos. The last part of the tour was the gold panning and that was so much fun. I felt like a kid in a candy store everytime a flake showed up in my pan. You can also buy a bag of sand or rocks and mine for gems or gold. The staff was mostly very friendly, a bit odd but hey isnt everyone. Over all it was worth the money and the time to see the mine and mill. It breaks my heart to thing about how the mill, mines and tunnel all shut down but idaho springs made it through and is still an amazing town. In case you were wondering my Husband is 25 and I am 22. so its ot just fun for older people.

3  Thank bvriper
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stopped by the Argo Mill last week when we were diverted from Manitou Springs due the fires. It's not too bad as far as history, we had a kind of strange kid give our tour. A few people entered just as the slideshow ended. They seemed a it disorganized. The video/slideshow was informative. The mine was pretty weak, but I guess this is really a mill. The mill was interesting to walk through. Panning for gold was fun for a few minutes. Everyone was friendly. A decent side trip but don't expect to be wow'd.